PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters Retired

jukka1970
05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
From what I've heard on the tennis channel while watching other matches and in Tennis magazine, it appears that Clijsters has retired now as opposed to the end of the year.

It sounds like she got yet another injury and she's decided that before she does any worse damage she's retiring now. She'll be getting married soon, and she wants to enjoy the next part of her life.

I'm really going to miss her, as she was not only enjoyable to watch but was a class act. She probably had the best sportsmanship and attitude on the women's side. She was also the first Belgian women to reach the number 1 ranking. She may only have one slam, but to me she'll never be in the category of one slam wonders. She really did give it her all, all of the time, but just could never get that last match under her belt more then once.

Jukka

Mick
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I saw her at the Fila store in my area last year. She seemed like a very nice person.

http://i9.tinypic.com/626057s.jpg

jukka1970
05-22-2007, 06:25 PM
What an awesome picture Mick, thanks for sharing. I sware she was born with a smile on her face. Mick, is this a picture you took? If it is, at some point when I get my homepage back up, I'd like to use it.

Jukka

Mick
05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
What an awesome picture Mick, thanks for sharing. I sware she was born with a smile on her face. Mick, is this a picture you took? If it is, at some point when I get my homepage back up, I'd like to use it.

Jukka

yep, i took this picture. Please feel free to use it :)

OrangeOne
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
From what I've heard on the tennis channel while watching other matches and in Tennis magazine, it appears that Clijsters has retired now as opposed to the end of the year.

Do a search jukka, you'll find a few threads discussing her retirement in detail from when it was announced (2-4 weeks ago? something like that).

jukka1970
05-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Do a search jukka, you'll find a few threads discussing her retirement in detail from when it was announced (2-4 weeks ago? something like that).

I did, and so far, I didn't see anything about her Retirement being moved from the end of the year to right away. And the tennis magazine only got here a week or so ago.

So I decided to post about her. And if it's a repeat, who cares, far as I'm concerned she deserves a heck of a lot more posts. The sport of women's tennis is probably losing the best sportsmanship person. It's certainly better then some of the ridiculous predictions I keep seeing, and the endless feuds that are still here, even after I've taken a month off from the board.

Would you rather have another Federer or Nadal thread?

Jukka

topsltennis
05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
In other news, man landed on the moon.

OrangeOne
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I did, and so far, I didn't see anything about her Retirement being moved from the end of the year to right away. And the tennis magazine only got here a week or so ago.

So I decided to post about her. And if it's a repeat, who cares, far as I'm concerned she deserves a heck of a lot more posts. The sport of women's tennis is probably losing the best sportsmanship person. It's certainly better then some of the ridiculous predictions I keep seeing, and the endless feuds that are still here, even after I've taken a month off from the board.

Jukka

My post wasn't meant to be as harsh as it probably sounded. It just sounded like this was 'news' to you, and I thought you may well have been interested in all of the discussion that happened at the time the retirement occurred....

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131737&highlight=clijsters
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=132237&highlight=clijsters

jukka1970
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
My fault, not sure why those threads didn't come up when I searched.

Jukka

My post wasn't meant to be as harsh as it probably sounded. It just sounded like this was 'news' to you, and I thought you may well have been interested in all of the discussion that happened at the time the retirement occurred....

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=131737&highlight=clijsters
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=132237&highlight=clijsters

CEvertFan
05-23-2007, 11:22 PM
She was a good player and a genuinely nice person. Very talented, fit and fast but unfortunately had tons of injuries. I can understand why she stopped playing before she sustained a really serious injury.

I do think her style of play and the way she tried to retrieve every ball probably contributed greatly to many of her injuries. What other player would do the splits to retrieve a ball? It always made me wince but at the same time it was cool to watch.

kingdaddy41788
05-23-2007, 11:27 PM
She was a female Nadal in that she had TREMENDOUS heart... which is why it's puzzling to see her so ready to retire so young. But I wish her the best in whatever she chooses to do. She's an amazing athlete and an amazing woman.

CEvertFan
05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
She was a female Nadal in that she had TREMENDOUS heart... which is why it's puzzling to see her so ready to retire so young. But I wish her the best in whatever she chooses to do. She's an amazing athlete and an amazing woman.

I would agree with you except she sometimes would choke a bit if things got really close and tight.

Chauvalito
05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I would agree with you except she sometimes would choke a bit if things got really close and tight.

Sometimes...?