PDA

View Full Version : Playing outside = bad for me

andymac1
05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
The tennis club I go to has 5 indoor courts, 2 clay courts outside, and 1 hard court outside. Most of the time the hard court outside is being used so I don't have a chance to use it, so I just use the indoor courts most of time. The problem for me is that I always have a harder time at tournaments when I have to play outside. I'm not used to serving while having the sun directly in my eyes and the outside courts are always slower because they bear with the elements more. Anyway, does anyone have some tips for dealing with outdoor courts when you normally play inside?

SilverBullet
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
All you can do is to play outdoors more. You can hit at a wall or something similar. If you can, wait for the hardcourt to open. Practice on inside checking every 5mins or so to see if there are signs of the people on the court leaving(shaking hands, packing stuff up, ect.). You can always look for a outdoor court around your area. Most schools will have a few courts that you should be able to use.

jasoncho92
05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
My friend has the the same problem lol. Just practicing outdoors is the only cure

zapvor
05-22-2007, 09:56 PM
thats interesting. because indoor courts are usually faster, it should make it even easier when switching to outdoor where the balls will be slower. as for the sun, uh, its the sun, so thats no excuse.

drgnpride
05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
you could play your matches at night, on cloudy days, or during a solar eclipse to take the sun out of the equation

Matt_MS
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
thats interesting. because indoor courts are usually faster, it should make it even easier when switching to outdoor where the balls will be slower. as for the sun, uh, its the sun, so thats no excuse.

Exactly, so if he is used to a faster court, going to a slower court would be a complete change of pace, such as going from hard courts to clay courts (little more drastic, but you get my point).

Just play outside more, and whenever I'm serving into the sun, I always see if I can **** my hat a little to see if when I'm looking up I can get the sun out of my eyes.

kevhen
05-23-2007, 11:32 AM
I used to play outside exclusively and developed more of a pusher's game with slice and all that works well in windy conditions. My now that I play more inside, I am more aggressive and place the ball closer to the sidelines. But when I go back outside and it's windy, I just convert back to hitting more low slice and hit more to the center of the court too and will out rally my opponent or I will get into net and finish that way. Outdoors and indoors are like grass and clay, very different styles can be used to play winning tennis.

warneck
05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Without sounding like a "jerk" or anything: You should really be able to serve in the sun, you actually should be able to serve with your eyes closed - Atleast I can easily do that. You shouldn't let the sun distract you, cause its not really a problem unless on high balls or smashes.. You control the serve toss, and if you are a good server - You got a good toss - And are easily able to predict where it lands, and when to hit!

I think the only good tip may be: Don't let it get to you. Indoor, outdoor - It ain't much difference.

Thud and blunder
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I think the problem is more psychological than physical; at least that's my problem. I play indoors 90% of the time. Whenever I go outside, I'm like 'Geez, what the hell's that bright thing up there', 'How the hell can anyone play in the wind' etc. Little things start bugging me, and before I know it I've tanked mentally.

OK, it is a somewhat different proposition, as others have alluded to, but OTOH, its not that different that you can't adjust provided you're in the right frame of mind.

Now all I need to do is to start following this advice myself....