PDA

View Full Version : michael chang

ESW320
05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
The greatest high school age player ever??? IMO he was, but it seems his game didn't hold up in the pros too long once sampras and agassi entered the court, but still the best counterpuncher ever.

sandy mayer
05-23-2007, 02:11 AM
Connors was a better counterpuncher, though he also attacked more than Chang.

35ft6
05-23-2007, 02:47 AM
The greatest high school age player ever??? I'd give that to Hewitt. And Becker was high school age when he won Wimbledon.IMO he was, but it seems his game didn't hold up in the pros too long once sampras and agassi entered the court, but still the best counterpuncher ever. It held up great!!! It's just that he was part of the greatest generation of players from a single country ever, with three number 1's in the mix (Courier, Agassi, and Sampras) but by any other measure, he had an incredible career for a man of any size. He was one match away from number 1 a few times, no? Tough as nails and I despised him -- never seen a guy question so many good line calls in my life.

LttlElvis
05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
The greatest high school age player ever??? IMO he was, but it seems his game didn't hold up in the pros too long once sampras and agassi entered the court, but still the best counterpuncher ever.

I'd put 17 yr old Borg, Wilander, or Becker in front of him.

Gillian
05-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I'd put 17 yr old Borg, Wilander, or Becker in front of him.

Yes, that's tough company to top.

HyperHorse
10-23-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm surprised no1 has mentioned Nadal as one of the best high school age players ever...

HBK4life
10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Hard to say about greatest High School play ever since the he didn't go to high school with some of the greats. I always like watching him play, seemed like a very kind person. I think he went overboard with the extra long rackets and trying to play outside of himself. I saw him play one time and I am 5'11" and I think he was listed as 5'9"......I don't so.

Great passing shops and lobs.

goober
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Probably greatest American high school age player, but not greatest ever.

He did have some amazing feats though.

-He won CIF championship SoCal San Diego section as an 8th grader. Probably a feat that will not be repeated again.

-Youngest ever to win a main draw match at the US Open- 15 years

-Won an ATP level tournament at 16- I am not sure what the record is for this.

ohlori
10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Probably greatest American high school age player, but not greatest ever.

He did have some amazing feats though.

-He won CIF championship SoCal San Diego section as an 8th grader. Probably a feat that will not be repeated again.

-Youngest ever to win a main draw match at the US Open- 15 years

-Won an ATP level tournament at 16- I am not sure what the record is for this.

Aaron Krickstein was the youngest at age 16 years and 2 months when he won Tel Aviv. He leads Chang head-to-head with 4-1.

goober
10-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Aaron Krickstein was the youngest at age 16 years and 2 months when he won Tel Aviv. He leads Chang head-to-head with 4-1.

Yah but those 4 victories all came when Chang was 16-18 years old from 1988-90. Krickstein was at the top of his game with his highest ranking coming in 1990. Chang didn't really reach his peak until 1996.

ohlori
10-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Yah but those 4 victories all came when Chang was 16-18 years old from 1988-90. Krickstein was at the top of his game with his highest ranking coming in 1990. Chang didn't really reach his peak until 1996.

But he was still quite good at a young age, he entered the top 10 more or less on his 17th birthday in 1984.
Someone had to mention him.;)

goober
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
But he was still quite good at a young age, he entered the top 10 more or less on his 17th birthday in 1984.
Someone had to mention him.;)

yup definitely worthy of mention- I looked up his teenage record and it is pretty impressive. Besides still being the youngest to ever win an ATP title he is also the youngest to ever hold a top 10 ranking. The only thing that keeps him out of the discussion with the others is that they won slam titles as high school age players.

BravoRed691
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
yup definitely worthy of mention- I looked up his teenage record and it is pretty impressive. Besides still being the youngest to ever win an ATP title he is also the youngest to ever hold a top 10 ranking. The only thing that keeps him out of the discussion with the others is that they won slam titles as high school age players.

Wait...im either mis reading this or i don't know jack about MC, didn't he win his slam at 17?

BR

goober
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Wait...im either mis reading this or i don't know jack about MC, didn't he win his slam at 17?

BR

Yes you were misreading- we were talking about Krickstein. Read all the posts in order :p