PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel bad about taking advantage of limited mobility?

Trey
09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
So I am playing in this league match. My opponent is about 20 years older than me with good strokes but limited mobility. We split the first 4 games so its 2-2. Then I change my strat so basically i was running him all over the court. Side to side, going behind him when he was struggling to get back to center court, and going deep and than giving him a short ball inside the service line I know that he could not get to. I end up winning 6-4, 6-1 but I didn't feel very satisfied. Plus in the second set he kept getting angrier and angrier because of my play. he started shouting out expletives when he couldn't get to a shot, indirectly channeled towards me or so i felt.

These league matches are suppose to be fun but I didn't feel that way at all after the match. :x

Rackethead
09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
It's fair. I'm older (44) and if a guy is younger and fast he will have to be less skilled for it to be an even match. Physical fitness does go down with age, but that's part of the deal.

If it was a non-league, social match then I would say that's out of line.

Max G.
09-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah. It's probably not fun for either of you, but it is fair game in a league match. Mobility is part of the game, just like everything else.

Camilio Pascual
09-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Here's where I'm coming from: I'm 54 and have had 2 hernia and 1 foot surgery in the last 5 years. So, boo hoo.
You play with your strengths and pick on the other guy's weaknesses. I'd be insulted if someone condescended to me in their play and depending on how it's done, it's against the rules. Your opponent is the one who acted improperly. I agree with what Max G and Rackethead said.

aahala
09-24-2004, 05:05 AM
I do sometimes feel bad about taking advantage of an opponent's limilted mobility, but only if he is clearly inferior to me as a player.

If someone is about equal but can't run, it means he has some advantage in some other way. So in those circumstances, all's fair. He's taking advance of my weaknesses and I his.

kevhen
09-24-2004, 05:23 AM
The old guys are usually crafty shot makers and also know to block back pace, so you run them when you can if they struggle with getting to balls or aren't in shape to wear them down, but the old guys around here are mostly in good shape and fast too. The slower ones just play doubles. It was a league match so play to your strengths and your opponent's weaknesses.

vin
09-24-2004, 06:05 AM
Would you feel guilty hitting topspin loopers to a continental forehand? While it's not age dependent, it's still a limitation.

I agree with everyone else who says that mobility is part of the game. It's all about figuring out how to incorporate your strengths and prevent your weaknesses from being exploited. A good player with poor mobility should have a playing style that will reduce your ability to move them around.

If the mobility was extremely poor, then maybe you guys were a bad match up.

thehustler
09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
I never feel bad. You signed up, you know what to expect so you have to deal with it. If you're playing in a tournament or league you play to win, not to make the other guy feel good about himself because he's old, or not as mobile or whatever the case may be. If you can't take the heat...

Kobble
09-24-2004, 05:50 PM
I always feel bad. That is why older players get an ego trip against me when we hit. Most of my balls are directed within the middle 80% of the court, so I do all the running, and they do all the shotmaking. When they get too arrogant I start hitting winners.

Hedges
09-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I agree with vin. Do you feel guilty for playing a guy's backhand if it's weak? Of course not! There's absolutely no difference.

I seriously doubt the old guy was yelling indirectly at you. If he was, then he's probably been a jerk his whole life. It's more likely that everyone has been cutting him slack..so he's not yet come to terms with his new weakness (lack of mobility).

Give no quarter to us old guys; we *really* don't want that from you. And I assure you...we certainly cut the old guys no slack when we were young bucks.

Force us to adapt to our new weaknesses; don't be a facilitator of our delusions. Some of us will change our games and remain competitive...some won't. It's not your problem (yet) ;-)

Tick Tock,
--Hedges

VashTheStampede
09-25-2004, 08:28 AM
It depends. If I'm hitting with someone a lot older with limited mobility, then I do feel sorry. But if I'm hitting with someone whos just fat and slow and lazy LOL, then no way. I think to myself that I'm doing something good for him by actually giving him some exercise instead of stuffing him up with big macs.

Smashlob
09-25-2004, 06:32 PM
I am 15 and I have a seriously messed up knee and as such my footspeed is severely reduced compared to the people I play. I don't consider people taking advantage of this an insult, I would be insulted if they didn't.

Hedges
09-26-2004, 06:56 AM
One way to even things up a bit is to give 'em The Wood.

Instead of playing with your usual modern technology, neural input, kryptonite, nuclear powered tennis racket, why not play with a classic wood like a Kramer, Davis Imperial or classic, or a Donnay Borg Pro.

It'll force you to play with a little more finesse and a little less power. If your opponent is insulted, then just tell him the wood helps with your tennis elbow.

Most of us old guys will be thrilled to see a classic racket in the hands of a youngster.

VTL
09-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I think the key is just knowing what the other wants from you. It's not the same for everybody. Some people will feel insulted if they know you're being easy on them, that you're holding back from your true game. Some will be gracious, knowing that you are considerate and that you care for the other person. Just listen to them, pick up the hints that reveal what they want. Or you can just ask them, if you think that's cool.

Hedges
09-26-2004, 04:00 PM
"go easy on me, young man." That's a statement you'll here from old dudes.

What it really means is "I'm gonna fill you full of junk shots until you cry for momma, punk." ;-)