PDA

View Full Version : Wheres "no-mans" land?

sinneTennis
05-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Wheres "no-mans land" or "dead-mans land" on the court?

forzainter
05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
isnt that when your right in the middle of between the service line and the baseline? where balls will be at your feet all the time and bouncing right in front of you?

mclee025
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
It's the area on court between the baseline and the service line. It's a bad place to be because it's the zone where you are most vulnerable to your opponent hitting balls that drop near your feet and putting you in a very difficult position.

z-money
05-23-2007, 09:25 AM
isnt that when your right in the middle of between the service line and the baseline? where balls will be at your feet all the time and bouncing right in front of you?

you got it man

HellBunni
05-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it's not just the ball being at your feet, because you can always hit it on the rise.

it's the fact that you are too far to volley short balls.
too close for deep balls, that land behind you.

skiracer55
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I think it's not just the ball being at your feet, because you can always hit it on the rise.

it's the fact that you are too far to volley short balls.
too close for deep balls, that land behind you.

...but now that you know what and where it is, are you going to be able to avoid it completely for the rest of your tennis career? Not likely, so you'd best know what to do when you end up there. Typically, you hit a half volley...but depending on what kind of ball you get in No-Person's Land (to be politically correct...), you might be able to hit a volley or full on ground stroke. Not all balls in No Person's Land are Bad Things.

Note that there is no way you can get to the net without going through No-Person's Land (NPL)...the idea is to move through it as expeditiously as possible to make the classical move of split stepping at the T and moving into your first volley.

In practice, to echo Peter Burwash's comment that "tennis is a series of controlled emergencies", if you have any love for the net, you're going to have to get comfortable with hitting at least some balls in NPL. I think the key to that is just Doing It A Lot. Another key to it is that if you really love going to the net, as I do, NPL is just a minor interruption in the process. Or, as one of my coaches put it: "What's a short ball? It's any ball that you think you can hit for an approach shot and go to the net..." As Napoleon said [he was a 5.5, from what I remember] "Toujours l'audace"...which is French for "Watch this, sucka..."

sinneTennis
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info.