PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to ask others (strangers) for advices on the court???

Euphoria.Soul
05-23-2007, 09:53 AM
I have a lot of pretty good players in my tennis club. I wanted to ask for some advice. But I am not sure what is the best way and when I should ask. Any advice?

Geezer Guy
05-23-2007, 10:22 AM
A) If you just play someone, they'll often give you all sorts of (usually unwanted) advice after the match.

B) Just "happen" to mention to one of the good players that you're having trouble with something, and you're trying to correct it. They'll often volunteer advice.

C) If you compliment someone on some aspect of their game, they'll often volunteer the info. If they don't just ask how they got so good at that, or whatever.

Most people don't mind giving advice at all - they consider it a compliment that you'd ask.

spadesss
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
strangers....i never give advice unless they ask.
so my advice is for you to open up 1st and be straight about it.
and hope they don't charge you for a bit of free advice even though they are not pros or qualified to be instructors.

skiracer55
05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
...at the club bar, or flash a bunch of Franklins ($100 bills). Just kidding! As the other posters have noted, most people whose day jobs aren't on the ATP or WTA tour...but have either gotten pretty good, or think they've gotten pretty good, or have other people tell them they're pretty good...just love to have people ask them for advice...unless, of course, you're going to play them in the next round of a tournament (in which case, they will Strongly Advise you to lob short and come up the net backwards)...so...with the above exceptions noted...just ask!

warneck
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Often I can easily point out a few errors after watching someone play, or at the gym (Im an educated PT++), but I only mention it at the worst cases, which ends up at being 0.05% of the total. So I would clearly advise you to be straight-up honoust and ask them for advices, if you want any. They may be good, or bad - But thats for you to decide. Yet, one important factor in tennis is the different styles of both tactical play, and stroke motion. Even if your local pro hits the 2HBH, ain't it automatically declared the king of BH's. :)

Euphoria.Soul
05-23-2007, 09:06 PM
lol i see =)

what if they are playing ...?? is it rude to go over and just say hey when you finish your match, do you mind taking a look at my stroke?

when do good players want to stop for some rest and spend some time "coaching" someone?

Jyles
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
i would wait for them to be in a non busy state, hence either when their taking a break from their match and look approachable, or just wait after their match and ask them.

don't be shy to ask either, you will never learn if you don't speak up.

shindemac
05-23-2007, 10:06 PM
If you don't plan to play or see them again, then just ask them. Simple as that. No need to worry about being rude or not. Not that you would.

spadesss
05-24-2007, 05:18 AM
If you don't plan to play or see them again, then just ask them. Simple as that. No need to worry about being rude or not. Not that you would.

i agreed.
most people are nice. its like asking someone out. you don't ask, you will never get a "yes!"

smoothtennis
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I help players all the time, but here are the ground rules.

1. I need to know them usually so they don't take offense. If I play with them on a semi-reglar basis, or know them, I express that I always want to learn, and help others too.

2. Once #1 is established, in the course of a match at the end of a set, if they have a glaring flaw, sometimes he may compain about it. I'll usually say, "well I saw something there...". They usually ask what. Only then do I tell them that I see them slicing down instead of out, or jumping on a shot, etc. They are usually very happy to hear these things, because most are not aware they were doing them, including me. This is for good players with decent technique.

If I hit with a real newbie, like this past weekend, this guy had a strong 3.5-4.0 forehand, good balance, obvioiusly played before, but absolutely no backhad of any stripe. No top, no slice, nothing. He knew it too. And he was complaining about it in a nice way, and appologizing. He was getting back into tennis.

I complimented his forehand, and said I think you can hit your backhand just as good with some small changes. He was all ears at that point.

So we spent 15 minutes doing some backhand work, fixing his grip, his takeback, his drive through the ball, etc. He was pumped about it, and so was I because you know what? Now he can rally and help ME get more playing time. A win-win.

In my last tournament match, my forehand left me for the last set in a bad way, and I was really perplexed (and my opponent pleasantly surprised). When the match ended..we chatted and I just asked him straight up, "Hey, my forehand was just GONE. Did you see anything I was doing wrong?"

He said immediately, that I started fanning it, and no longer hitting out front with it ---that I most likely I got tight and tentative. Hey, great feedback! And I thanked him, and would have done the same for him if roles were reversed.

Like somebody said...you don't ask, you certainly don't learn.

ps60
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
free advice are as good as free lunch. Have U ever got a free lunch ? if yes, how good it was ?

i, and many many others like to give free advice. Some are just too happy to force their idea (the best (or the only) way to do this and that is to...).
U probably don't want or better not to "take them all". Some are more conservative, only give very basic one, which u probably knows.

If U expect someone to watch you play and then comment on it, it takes some "precious time" they have in court and it's not easy for most. I'd surely reject any Q by someone in another court if i am in action with my friends. So, either use some observation; keep the discussion among your pals and maybe shoot a video and post it here. Lots of guys want to find out your faults :grin:, including me !

zapvor
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
yea...i thnk most people would love to give you advice about tennis unless they are busy or in a bad mood or something. i have had a lot of strangers help me with my tennis before. the only problem is everyone plays different, so you get different advice each time you ask the same question to a new person.

Jyles
05-24-2007, 11:00 AM
so true, best to mainly if your a beginner and can afford lessons with a tennis coach take them, if not try to read up on it, get a good tennis partner that knows things, and learn your way through, or ask people in a regard where they wont be bothered.

Euphoria.Soul
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
thanks for all the advice guys!!! I will ask around next time when I am playing =)

Doc Hollidae
06-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Just ask them politely. I go out and hit at with friends at local high schools often (we're 4.5 players) and people out there will often comment about our play and ask little questions here and there. We'll often give them a few suggestions or point them in the direction of a good coach.

I find that a lot of the USTA Tournaments I play in people are extremely friendly. I'll often ask people to warm up before a match and introduce myself. If I happen to ask a 3.0-3.5 player they often ask me questions about what the differences is in level, what I do in certain situations, or what equipment I play with. I've always found the tennis community more or less very friendly and willing to give their two cents as long as you're polite and not trying to have the entire game of tennis explained to them.

thursdayisgod
06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Remember to have proper court ettiquete, good manners, and be a frequent at the courts, and they will respect you regardless how good you are at tennis.

Don't expect a player significantly better than you to spend a lot of time hitting with you without subsidization though. Good players are usually bored very easily by playing with people not as good as them, so don't take it personnally or offensively, giving advice to you and hitting with you are completely different requests.