PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Instructor

RedWeb
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Not sure this is posted in right forum but anyway...

I'm a older (50+) above average 3.5 player that wants to get very serious about his tennis. I'm looking for an instructor in the Plano, Allen, Frisco Texas area. I don't want to drive to Dallas. Any suggestions?

If asking a question like this is against the rules please forgive and delete this post.

Gillian
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe you could call local tennis clubs and ask for a recommendation?

Bodacious DVT
05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
You may want to consider joining a club. you could get involved in some classes, play in a league, and get some privates in with the pro there.

check out the clubs before joining tho.

RedWeb
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The closest public club (won't mention names) does not have instructors that I care for. I've tried two already and that did not work out (and not because I'm a jerk or something). Plus they don't seem to care about private lessons that much. I had to go through hoops to get limited lessons from the first two.

Don't want to join a private club (there are not a lot of choices unless you go the country club route and that is expensive) as I only want to pay for lessons on as needed basis. Perhaps 6-12 to start with over the first monthor two and then once or twice a month from that point forward.

I'm not some old smoe that wants to play stand still doubles. I'm a good athlete who just started playing tennis about 18 monthss ago and have my own ball machine (TT player pro) and play/practice almost every day. It took me six months to get to 3.5 and am winning about half my matches now (after losing my first 12). I want to get serious but think my stroke needs refining as I've read that hitting the ball machine or wall for hours does you no good if your stroke is incorrect (just enforcing bad habits).

Paying an instructor good money is not an issue. I'll be happy to do that. Is there some type of on-line registry I can review?

Phil
05-23-2007, 07:21 PM
The USPTA or the PTR websites may have information to direct you to competent pros. Also, check out the USTA website or contact your regional USTA office directly. Also, most clubs that I have ever heard of employ pros who give lessons on an "as needed" basis. If the ones you tried didn't work out, try some more...

Another option is to look into tennis camps-a week or a few days at one may be what you're looking for to correct some bad habits.

RedWeb
05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks Phil. Whats PTR stand for? I'm also considering Newk's camp or Bradenton sometime in the next six months. Anyone have comments regarding which is the better camp?

10s talk
05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Phil. Whats PTR stand for? I'm also considering Newk's camp or Bradenton sometime in the next six months. Anyone have comments regarding which is the better camp?

PTR is professional tennis registry in Hilton Head S.C.

Geezer Guy
05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
... I'm also considering Newk's camp or Bradenton sometime in the next six months. Anyone have comments regarding which is the better camp?

I liked Newk's better, but it probably wasn't a fair comparison. There are lots of posts about both places in the Tennis Travel section in this site.

You can also go to www.TennisResortsOnline.com and see what others that have been to those two places have said about them.

Geezer Guy
05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Good suggestions from Phil in post #5 above.

You might also try www.TennisWelcomeCenter.com.