PDA

View Full Version : this is becoming a major problem

J.W. North Tennis91
05-23-2007, 04:49 PM
i need lots of help on this. whenever i play tennis there will be weeks where i hit the ball hard and very consistent and the next week i go on what i call a "great deppresion". my shots are nowhere near as fast as they were and my consistency drops soo much. is the problem practice? do i need to practice more? isnt 5 days a week, 3 hours per day enough? thats how much i practice and sometimes on weekends. what do i need to do to make myself stay consistent with power?? im doing the same swing and stroke that gave me good results but this time the balls go long by about 5 inches.

do i need to practice on weekends to achieve the same results? is 1 day of practice on a weekend enough?

Bodacious DVT
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
this happens to EVERYONE. seriously, even pros go through ups and downs.

try actually taking a week off. you might just be stressing your body. relax for a week.

103xStateChamp
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
J.W. do you go to North High School in Eastlake?

drakulie
05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
perhaps set up a private lesson with an instructor, and he may notice something you are doing without you noticing it.

J.W. North Tennis91
05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
J.W. do you go to North High School in Eastlake?

no i go to north high school in riverside, CA

shindemac
05-23-2007, 09:17 PM
If you are aware of this, then why don't u adjust.

Hardserve
05-24-2007, 04:36 AM
I need to hear from a professional player, as I do two
forms of training. My own practice training and training
with other tennis players. I don't work on one or two
things but work on all my shots even if I have no one
to hit with.

heartman
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Reaching plateaus while you're developing your game is an absolutely normal phenomena. It happens all the time - reach in a little further and try not to be so hard on yourself when it does happen. I really believe there's truth to the idea of trying too hard.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just start playing and have a nice, uninterrupted learning curve? Ups and downs, goods and bads, they're part of the deal. Tough to handle once in a while, but in the long run very character-building, and extremely beneficial. Be patient and persevere until the next good match or hit comes along. I truly believe we are a bigger nemesis to ourselves than any opponent can ever be.

But what do I know? I'm an overweight, former great, who likes to drink cold beer to honor all the Australian tennis players from the past who did just that, and became damn good tennis players!!

Onward!

skiracer55
05-26-2007, 09:43 PM
...plus see what I say in the following threads:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134326&highlight=grind+drill

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134699&highlight=forgetting+curve

Trinity TC
05-26-2007, 11:07 PM
what do i need to do to make myself stay consistent with power?? im doing the same swing and stroke that gave me good results but this time the balls go long by about 5 inches.

do i need to practice on weekends to achieve the same results? is 1 day of practice on a weekend enough?
You need to schedule your practice workload more intelligently. You're not a machine so you have to vary the workload in order to avoid getting stale. Adding more training to your current regime will probably lead to more breakdowns in your stroke production and possibly lead to injury.

Just out of curiosity, what are your strengths and how often do you practice them?

Hardserve
05-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I would like an answer to my question as well, as I been taught to hit like a machine by a professional coach, but along with my training with other top players (usually kids), I want to know if it helpful or harmful, will it hurt my game, if I continue to practice all my shots on my own (if I have noone to hit with on a practice day?) I need to hear from a professional player or coach.

zapvor
05-27-2007, 06:58 PM
on your own? whats wrong with that? what do you mean exactly

Hardserve
06-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Well usually I have players to hit forehands and backhands and my other shots with. But if I have a day where I don't have anyone, then I will
train solo mode by myself, and hit my forehands and backhands and practice my other shots by myself, hitting a ball with no motion on it has given me greater feel for the ball when hitting a ball that's not in full motion like it is when hitting with other players. But because I also have footwork, its a little difficult to do my footwork and hit the ball at the same time becaause I'm used to hitting a ball moving towards me. But I think hitting the ball on your own might only be useful for developing feel and touch.

J.W. North Tennis91
06-02-2007, 01:33 PM
You need to schedule your practice workload more intelligently. You're not a machine so you have to vary the workload in order to avoid getting stale. Adding more training to your current regime will probably lead to more breakdowns in your stroke production and possibly lead to injury.

Just out of curiosity, what are your strengths and how often do you practice them?

my strength are my groundstrokes.

lecter255
06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
man the posts on this thread really made my day. last Sunday i was slugging it out against a 4.0 player. my forehand was absolutely a delight to hit. the it just all went to hell =( i was so ****ed i thought of quitting tennis. and my forearm starts to hurt and my wrist starts to hurt and get stiff and my hand is numb some mornings when i wake up.

i guess i'll just take it easy for a while.

Hardserve
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Be careful, a sore wirst and forearm sounds like early signs of tennis elbow. Go to your pro and make sure there are no issues with your strokes or technique that will lead to tennis elbow) because good technique and correct grip shouldn't leave you sore like that in the elbow and wrist so something is not right, there could be an issue because the western grip puts alot of strain on the wrist and forearm and its not recommended because of the injuries to the wrist and forearm that this grip can cause.