PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think Hewitt stands?

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Hewitt has been playing very well, but more importantly, is feeling confident. He was also the only one at the AO that was able to even remotely challenge Federer. Do any of you think he has a shot at making the finals or even winning it again? I think that only Federer, Safin, and Agassi could take him out now. No one else has a complete enough game to challenge him. I mean, Roddick only has his serve, but still no return. Fed and Safin have it all. Maybe someone with a power game like Mirnyi's could also give Hewitt trouble. I personally wouldn't want to see him get really deep into the tournament unless he beats Roddick.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-14-2004, 03:23 PM
LOL Vanja, I don't want him deep either unless he beats Agassi or Roddick. But I think he will make like semis or so. If he ran into Safin or Fed, he's done. Runs into Moya, done, Coria, that would be insane, don't know who would win. Roddick could actually beat him, but not with the way he's playing right now. I'm thinking ya, quarters or semis, even though I want him to like lose now.

@wright
03-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Vanja, winning what again?

lemons
03-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Absolutely Hewitt has a shot at winning this tournament. Until his meltdown last year, Hewitt was the most consistent performer on the men's tour. He was a legitimate #1 player.

I'm a little surprised by how many have written Lleyton off for good. The conventional wisdom seems to be now that Federer, Roddick, and Ferrero finally winning Slams, Hewitt will be left out in the cold. All those guys have bigger weapons than Hewitt, but Hewitt is a proved fighter. He knows how to win. I think Hewitt has at least another Slam in him - it might take an easy draw for him, or a big name loosing early, but I think it will happen.

To me, Hewitt and Nalbandian are very similar guys. They are solid players, who have the ability to beat the top guys. They may not be the flashiest player in the draw, but they have the game and the know-how to be a contender in any tournament they play. I think both these guys have at least a Slam apiece in their future.

ucd_ace
03-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I think Hewitt will find his place again this year. Now that the top players are starting to win consistently, Hewitt will find more winable matches against top players. My reasoning is this: more players will go farther without playing well, and Hewitt has that pusher game that will put an end to those runs. Federer is the most dangerous player out there for... well, everyone, but that's not the point... Hewitt because he has that slice backhand that he can slow the ball down with and Hewitt can't generate enough pace off of it. Safin really plays into Hewitt's game if he's not on, giving Hewitt pace to deal with while not being in the best condition.

Hewitt has a shot at this. If you can see him getting through to the semi's, I don't see why he can't win it. His toughest match will obviously be Federer, but remember that Haas has the slice backhand in his repertoire too.

sliceroni
03-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmm. I think Hewitt's best years are behind him, but he 'll win quite a few more tournaments and just maybe squeeze out a slam or two before his career is over. Two years ago on the board many predicted that what happened to Hingis would happen to Hewitt. Power players would figure out how to play this pusher and he'll drop out of the top 5. It happened. No name players (Wimbledon last year) will take him out regularly in slams. I don't think he'll be number one ever again. But he'll prove that he's still a fighter win some epic win over the tops guys.

david aames
03-14-2004, 05:24 PM
With a little practise he could make a name for himself playing topspin tournaments... Closest thing to a time machine. Look Kim, I'm winning again!'

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-14-2004, 05:25 PM
When I watched Hewitt play Federer at the AO, I was surprised at how many cheap points he was getting with his much-improved serve. It's still not a weapon, but he was getting more points with it than I've ever seen Roddick get against Federer. I think that Hewitt's return is such a weapon, and that the server really has to have a phenomenal serving day to beat him. I think Hewitt would reassert himself in today's game if and when he beats Roddick. I mean, they're both playing well, but Hewitt has that mental edge because he's never lost to Roddick. I never liked his game, but I respected him for competing so well considering that he's basically at a disadvantage against almost anyone...eventhough he has the fastest feet in the game. I think he'll be top 10 at least this year, and that Roddick won't be top 5 because other players are really starting to figure him out.

@wright
03-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Vanja, I agree with you, I can't see Roddick beating Hewitt EVER, even though stranger things have happened. Hewitt is too tough from the backcourt and his return is very strong, so unless he's off and Roddick is on fire...

riaz10spro
03-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Don't count this kid out just yet...he still has some game in him and everyone else has to be playing well to beat him; Federer is too good, even on a bad day! Roddick has to do what he does best, serve BIG! Agassi has to have an easy draw before he takes on Hewitt, Safin has to have his tennis head screwed on that day, the dirtballers, Moya, Coria, Nalbandian etc have to resist going big against the little aussie otherwise they will beat themselves.
Hewitt does well when he has some pace against him to work with, that's why he has done well at Wimby and US Open.
The problem is that there are alot of guys out there now waiting for shot against Hewitt's game because he basically grinds down ball after ball and waits for an opening. Players now are more offensive against him early and feel they can blow right by him if they are playing well.
Sorry PCMD, but Moya is losing ground but his spanish amigo Nadal is looking awfully good, just like you called it!

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Riaz, Moya's got this year, next year, and maybe one more of real good top 10 tennis, then he'll be down and out at about 30 or so I think. Everytime I saw Moya play Hewitt, it was just Moya playing bomb tennis and ripping Hewitt off the court (Cincy 2002 finals). Moya hit so many winners it was scary. His return off of Hewitt's second serve was some of the best ever. I'd love to see Coria and Hewitt grind, it would be really interesting to see the running in that match.

riaz10spro
03-14-2004, 07:15 PM
PCMD, I'll give Moya this year and 6 months of next year, after that he's coaching Nadal to French Open win in 2007, but only part-time as he will be a rising star on a big spanish daytime soap opera!!! hahaha!

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
OH man, just lost first round to Labadze, 6-2 1-6 3-6. Well, he's got this year and next, trust me. Coaching Nadal? I like it, but the acting carrear, naa, MODELLING BABY!

riaz10spro
03-14-2004, 07:27 PM
PCMD, Do you mean modelling as a baby or modelling maybe!
OK enough Moya bashing for one day, I cannot believe he lost to Labadze! Labadze was the guy who broke his racket at Courtside and Batchelor picked it up. Then Scuba tells him that he could still use the Big Banger string that was in it and they spent two hours the next day trying to get the string out of the broken racket!
tssk, kids!

By the way, what's your schedule this week, do you have matches T and TH? Who against? Did you sign up for Walnut Creek?

coach

Hyperstate
03-15-2004, 04:23 AM
Hewitt's return is good for the game. Think he's the best counter-puncher around when he's at the top of his game, and he's able to hit offensive forehands when needed. That's why he's so hard to beat.

Also, judging from this year's matches, I think he's attempting to add a more attacking style to his game to stay with the top 5 or 10 players. More reliant on an aggressive forehand. Will have to see how this pans out.

jmckinney
03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Hewitt is the greatest competitor/warrior out there. He will contend for slams for many more years. I think he can win one per year maybe two. He just needs to get his confidence back full and then he will be able to beat Federer. His game will continue to improve and his shots will get bigger. I do not see him dropping out of contention anytime soon for slams and think his ranking will be in the top 5 for a while to come.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Chela would actually disagree with you sir....

Loud
03-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Put a fork in him...Hewitt's done. Confidence was his biggest weapon. Getting bounced by Chela doesn't help that.

Bertchel Banks
03-16-2004, 10:53 AM
>I don't want him deep either unless he beats Agassi or Roddick.

LOL. No chance of that happening.

> But I think he will make like semis or so.

Wrong again.

>If he ran into Safin or Fed, he's done.

Poor Marat. It was my impression some years ago the he's a one dimensional sledge hammer. It's interesting that of the Under-25-Set he was the only one with a losing record against Federer. And the way he was outsmarted and out player by Roddick yesterday, tsk tsk. Kafelnikov was a talented headcase. Safin is just overhyped.

dander
03-16-2004, 11:33 AM
saying roddick outsmarted safin gives him too much credit. how smart do you have to be to figure out that every second serve is going high to the backhand? and to step into it on the big points and force the flake to pass?
that match yesterday was more notable for safin's lackluster play than roddick's excellent play

Bertchel Banks
03-19-2004, 05:54 PM
I cannot believe he[Moya] lost to Labadze!

I can :D

Free_Martha
03-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Re: Where do you think Hewitt stands?

Out of the sight line of Federer, Roddick, Agassi, Ferrero, and Safin.