PDA

View Full Version : Consistant Serve?

thefan
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
How long does it usually take to build a consistant first/flat serve?
I usually practice by myself and my percentage of the serve landing in the box is probably 20-30% or worst. Any advice on how I can improve or do I just need to keep practicing?

shindemac
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Ooohhh. 20% is pretty low. Very low. Get help from a coach or instructor. Then practice. You may want to add some spin to increase your percentages. How's your second serve? Do u have one?

zapvor
05-24-2007, 10:43 AM
it sucks because everytime i think i have a serve down, it goes away. sigh

Jyles
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
thefan, practice untill you get the serve down atleast 75% of the times, then just use it in matches, and your body will just remember its movements when you serve, thats how i did my first serve x_x.. which i had to stop cause it was killing my wrist lol.

BillH
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
it sucks because everytime i think i have a serve down, it goes away. sigh

Got to agree - I can't tell you how many times through the years I get in a groove on first serves and think that I've finally got it down cold and the next week I can't buy a good hard flat first serve in the box.

richw76
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I just started playing in a 4.0 league. I just started playing again a month ago after a long layoff, and my serve is the slowest thing to come back... and my fitness ;-) anyway
My first match I went for a heavy flat/spin first serve, and then a kick or topspin second serve I was double faulting to much, and the thrill of 3 or 4 aces wasn't worth it. Second set on, I started relying on placement with topspin serve. I didn't have aces but it got me in the match. So far so good. I won that match and lost the next match in two but both sets went to tie break.

At least I made him have to beat me, I didn't beat myself.

to OP get a bucket of balls and before and or after you play go through the bucket. First read up and watch some tape on performing a topspin serve or get a coach to learn what you SHOULD be doing. TRY(I'm still not doing it) to keep everything the same. calm your mind, toss the ball the same way to teh same place. For me I always set my feet, bounce the ball twice, touch teh ball to the same point on my racket, and go through my motion. Look at teh ball during contact and finish my swing. After a few weeks your percentages should go up.

Once you have a base you can add to it. You'll never win anything if you double fault 15 times.

HellBunni
05-24-2007, 11:33 AM
the toss and stance.
you have to find a comfortable and repeatable toss.

try to do the same routines each time before serving to get into a rythm and pattern