PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on my tennis.

Jyles
05-23-2007, 09:18 PM
My main question is about using your wrist. I ofter use my wrist instead of my arm throughout the match mainly bending it as i should instead be bending my arm and keeping my wrist straight.

Is it bad to use your wrist like that? will it damage it over time??

(I currently play 3 times a week, and for 5 to 8 hours each time, throughout the day, in matches, also i practice everyday for at least 1 hour, with my strokes. And started that schedule in April, before then i was a lazy person sitting in my room lol. (but use to play tennis 1 year before that once in awhile, so not totally new.) I am also 18 years old.

So you can understand i took the wrong approach in tennis lol, and maybe abused my wrist, recently someone else told me the most common way hitting by kipping you wrist just straight and, not bend the wrist but the arm.

the one problem with this, is that my game goes down if i don't use the tennis style i started with, which was bending my wrist, and in turn lose to much control.

so again heres my question, and basically some other questions :).

1. Can i use my wrist in strokes?

2. Whats the best style while hitting a strokes. (mainly the safest ;).)

3. For myself i use a 9 ounce racket, and lack a lot of control, but have a lot of power, does having a heavier racket increase my control?(Normally all the hits that i return most likely end up going out of bounds etc.) Or should i just get my racket strung differently?

4. Since I naturally cover the whole court faster then others, my racket length is 27.5, would it be wiser for me to get a racket smaller in length, and a good sized head? (i recently switched rackets as well, so i might not just be used to the racket.) or is it bad to grip more closer to the head of the racket?

5. And what is a good racket for a serve/volley person? (i tend to approach the net a lot, more then staying at baseline.)

And any other tips for myself would be welcome, appreciate any replies :).

DarkTennis
05-23-2007, 09:32 PM
if you get a heavier racket and keep up those wrist strokes you may start to get wrist injuries do to the pressure of the weight....

if you want more control string your racket to a higher tension

probably the reason your capable of doing the wrist shots currently is because your racket aint that heavy...seriously if you get a heavier racket you may get injured ...watch out ...or big warning sign

Jyles
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
hmm, whats a good way to quickly change my form, i try a lot, but in the matches i always end up using my wrist form.. which will plague me with returning power shots.?

ps60
05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
...but in the matches i always end up using my wrist form.. which will plague me with returning power shots.?

U are right, when in defensive, or returning canons, u better keep your wrist lock. Either straight or bend backwards and LOCKED. i'd try to keep the elbow stable too. That way u can use your arm and body wt to return most power to the ball.

About bending arm and not wrist in your OP, i don't think it's the right way (or only way). the most power may be obtain if u keep them both stable and use the body wt and body turn to provide the power. That way, u have all your arm wt, and pt of yr body to push the ball back.

the elbow can speed up racket head for more spin (as Nadals or any Western grip players), but beware of follow through to avoid injury. Use wrist for power is as all of us know... deadly for itself.

zapvor
05-24-2007, 09:30 AM
what racket did you switch to? and dont use your wrist.

Jyles
05-24-2007, 09:46 AM
i switched to Wilson Ncode NPower.

Vision84
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
It takes time to groove a stroke. I suggest taking the competetive matches out for a bit till you get confident with the new strokes. In the long run if you remain serious with tennis you need to learn to use your arm and body and keep the wrist firm.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-25-2007, 08:01 AM
U are right, when in defensive, or returning canons, u better keep your wrist lock. Either straight or bend backwards and LOCKED. i'd try to keep the elbow stable too. That way u can use your arm and body wt to return most power to the ball.

Exactly. It isn't so much that the angle of the wrist matters, but you need to keep it fixed from the time you being to swing forward until the racquet is in front of you. You will have timing problems if you don't as well as unnecessary wrist problems.