PDA

View Full Version : Gym sets

Tennis4203
05-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Hello~ I'm a 14 year old and it's just been my 3rd week at the gym

i lost around 11 kilos coz of tennis, and to repay the favour to this wonderful sport i want to get fitter and stronger to play the game better.

My coach says i'm around 4.0 - 4.5 level and i just wanted to know about something. He says that 3 sets of 15 (on weights) is better suited for me than 3 sets of 7. I trust him and i do the 3 sets of 15 but i just wanted to know what the difference is.

Please help

Tennis4203

Ano
05-24-2007, 01:53 AM

i lost around 11 kilos coz of tennis, and to repay the favour to this wonderful sport i want to get fitter and stronger to play the game better.

My coach says i'm around 4.0 - 4.5 level and i just wanted to know about something. He says that 3 sets of 15 (on weights) is better suited for me than 3 sets of 7. I trust him and i do the 3 sets of 15 but i just wanted to know what the difference is.

Please help

Tennis4203

I agree with you coach about the repetition. In general, at your age, it's better (and safer) to train with relatively light weight (15-25 reps/set) instead of relatively heavy weight (6-10 reps/set). The reasoning : your muscles mature before your bones do. At your age, your bones might not be ready to handle relatively heavy weight.

As for doing 3 sets/exercise, I have a different opinion with your coach.

You are a beginner in the gym, so doing 1 set will give you the same gains as doing two or more. The reason for this is that one set is more than adequate to deplete your energy supplies sufficiently to produce supercompensation.

In supercompensation your energy supply is not only restored to the original level, but additional energy supplies are deposited to allow for more work the next time.

During supercompensation, there is also restructuring of the muscles and tissues to increase their strength and/or mass. In addition, there may be greater capillarization to better support the muscles and tissues and other functional changes to enable you to do the same amount of work with greater ease the next time you work out. The changes that are produced during the phase of supercompensation are the key to your development.

As you become more fit and your strength levels increase, you may require two sets to more adequately deplete your energy stores to continue achieving supercompensation.

When two sets become insufficient, then you should do 3 sets.

One more thing: always do your weight training under supervision.

Good luck.

Ano
05-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Oh, btw, you want to know the difference between rep ranges?

Following are some repetition guidelines that can be used if you are experienced in weight training and have been training for 4-6 months:

1-4 reps for pure strength.

5-9 reps for strength together with muscle mass

10-15 reps for muscular strength, muscular endurance and muscle mass

16-30 reps for muscular endurance. Little increase in muscular strength or mass.

31-50 reps for muscular endurance. No mass

51-100 reps for muscular endurance, cardiorespiratory endurance, a possible loss of fat, no strength increases.

Keep in mind that these are only guidelines and there is MUCH variation in the numbers depending upon the individual and stage of training.

dman72
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM

Please help

Tennis4203

Your coach is of the old school mentality on weight lifting. There is some conjecture (go to hard core fitness and body building sites, don't take my word for it) about the whole "more reps=this and less = this". Many people claim now that more reps just equal more time and less results, which equates weightlifting to a cardio workout more than muscle building. I'm assuming that you are not built up yet because you are 14, in which case, doing lower sets/higher weight may give you more results in terms of strength. In other words, 3 sets of 5-8 reps at 80% of your maximum weight will give you more growth than 3 sets of 15 at 65% of your max.

Just start out SLOW to avoid injury. If your muscles ache the next day, it's working. Hit them again in a week.

Tennis4203
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh, btw, you want to know the difference between rep ranges?

Following are some repetition guidelines that can be used if you are experienced in weight training and have been training for 4-6 months:

1-4 reps for pure strength.

5-9 reps for strength together with muscle mass

10-15 reps for muscular strength, muscular endurance and muscle mass

16-30 reps for muscular endurance. Little increase in muscular strength or mass.

31-50 reps for muscular endurance. No mass

51-100 reps for muscular endurance, cardiorespiratory endurance, a possible loss of fat, no strength increases.

Keep in mind that these are only guidelines and there is MUCH variation in the numbers depending upon the individual and stage of training.

HEY RYANO thanks heaps man i'm starting to understand what everybody means by like sets and stuff now.

THANKS HEAPS

Tennis4203

Tennis4203
05-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Your coach is of the old school mentality on weight lifting. There is some conjecture (go to hard core fitness and body building sites, don't take my word for it) about the whole "more reps=this and less = this". Many people claim now that more reps just equal more time and less results, which equates weightlifting to a cardio workout more than muscle building. I'm assuming that you are not built up yet because you are 14, in which case, doing lower sets/higher weight may give you more results in terms of strength. In other words, 3 sets of 5-8 reps at 80% of your maximum weight will give you more growth than 3 sets of 15 at 65% of your max.

Just start out SLOW to avoid injury. If your muscles ache the next day, it's working. Hit them again in a week.

OK thanks alot i'll keep everything in mind and i'll take your advice.
that is after i'm used to the gym a little like 3 weeks or so more.

THANKS ALOT
Tennis4203