PDA

View Full Version : I'm reading John McEnroe's Book "Serious"...

VikingSamurai
05-24-2007, 02:30 AM
My wife bought it for me for the spare times I have at work, and although I was never a fan of the guy, I must say that I cant put this thing down..

What a nice read it is, and I am up to the chapter where he talks about beating Borg in the second Wimbledon Final that they played..

He is very honest and at times funny, and shows a complete (in my eyes) hatred for Connors.. Just the little digs at him you can tell are deep seeded, so I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the times these two met..

I also like how human he is, and how at a mature age looks back on his life in a somewhat retrospective and candid view.. Great read.. Can anyone suggest any other great reads from past players?...

BreakPoint
05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I highly recommend:

"Bad News for McEnroe" by Bill Scanlon (former top 10)

"Jimmy Connors Saved My Life" by Joel Drucker (tennis journalist)

"Break Point" by Vince Spadea (still hanging in there on the tour) (Of course I'd recommend this one since it was named after me. ;) LOL)

Jonnyf
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Yah, Serious is great.! I like when he talks about genuinely liking Geruliatis (and feeling the loss when he dies) and Borg. (If i remember correctly)

Azzurri
05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
My wife bought it for me for the spare times I have at work, and although I was never a fan of the guy, I must say that I cant put this thing down..

What a nice read it is, and I am up to the chapter where he talks about beating Borg in the second Wimbledon Final that they played..

He is very honest and at times funny, and shows a complete (in my eyes) hatred for Connors.. Just the little digs at him you can tell are deep seeded, so I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the times these two met..

I also like how human he is, and how at a mature age looks back on his life in a somewhat retrospective and candid view.. Great read.. Can anyone suggest any other great reads from past players?...

I know what you mean. I read it in 6 days....normally takes me a month or two to read a book. I read some everyday and loved it.

VikingSamurai
05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
I am the same way.. I have never really been into books. And when I do read, I usually read autobiographies.. This is definately a good read Slap for sure..

Azzurri
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
It took me almost 2 months to read The Davinci Code...go figure:D

I would loike to read a Sampras book...is there a bio on him?

grizzly4life
05-26-2007, 07:30 AM
i did a reasonable-sized review of mac's book a couple of months ago, and there was a decent sized thread.... OP might be interested in reading and/or appending.

for sure, his hatred of connors and his absolute reverence for borg come thru loud and clear.....

War, Safin!
05-26-2007, 07:39 AM
The first sports book I ever read was 'Bjorn Borg: My Life and My Game' - and that was back in 1980-81 - might not be as good as I remember but it did give a good insight into the ATP, Slams and various opponents he played against at that time.

grizzly4life
05-26-2007, 07:41 AM
The first sports book I ever read was 'Bjorn Borg: My Life and My Game' - and that was back in 1980-81 - might not be as good as I remember but it did give a good insight into the ATP, Slams and various opponents he played against at that time.

i just read the borg book written by his romanian ex-wife (his fiance when most was written)..... really whet my appetite for more borg, but my library system (a large one) doesn't have "my life" or it's only at the reference library...... maybe i'll alibris it one day soon.

zapvor
05-29-2007, 07:23 PM
i just finished The Rivalry: Evert vs. Navrotilova and its really good.

tennisboy87
05-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, McEnroe's book is a really good read.

finky
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
I was reading 'Jimmy Connors saved my life' on a plane and Dick Norman was sitting across the aisle from me. He saw the book and we had a nice chat , he seemed a very pleasant guy.

It was interesting that a current touring pro would take such interest in a player biography.

And incidentally, the airline put him in the bulkhead seats in economy . The poor guy is like 6ft 8''!

psamp14
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
great book....i checked it out from my library when accidentally seeing it on a shelf and finished it in about two days...i'm also one who doesnt a lot of books, but this one got me into it

tursafinov
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Peter Bodo is writing it as we speak.
He reveals a little piece now and then on t e n n i s.com

~Tursa

crazylevity
05-31-2007, 11:17 PM

I devoured that in 2 days. I'd probably finish McEnroe's book in a couplke hours then. :p

dennis1188
06-01-2007, 03:17 AM
I devoured that in 2 days. I'd probably finish McEnroe's book in a couplke hours then. :p

Read it in approx 2hours. I liked reading about his initial meeting with the great Harry Hopkins.

bluegrasser
06-01-2007, 04:42 AM

He's like a friend of mine - off the court a great guy, but on the court, a real moron sometimes.

trisco
06-01-2007, 04:48 AM
McEnroes biography is an excellent read. It does give you an insight into the guy and his temperament and what to matters to him.