PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette: When does "Celebration" go to far? Best way to deal.

richw76
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I saw someone post

"Agreed. My team faced the biggest jerk i've seen in years this week.
He made repeated bad calls on liners and inside liners i observed in the match and watching from sideline. Acted very aggressive and kept making a Rick Flair "woooooooooooooo" noise and actions after everypoint he won."

So my two questions when does self celebration, or getting "Psyched up" cross the line. Then what's the best way to deal with someone like this?

as a side note, I've run into 2 guys like this my first week playing in a league. I figured by the time people got into their 30's++ they would get this stuff out of their system.

zapvor
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
haha. i let my opponents celeberate all they want.

Vision84
05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I think a little fist pumping and a come on! is ok and the line should be drawn there.

dman72
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I think a little fist pumping and a come on! is ok and the line should be drawn there.

In my case, the fist pumping is usually me punching the back fence and the "come on" is what I yell when the ball hits the tape and lands on my side. :(

thejackal
05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
just tell them "it's not wimbledon, silly"

lethalfang
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
In my case, "c'mon" is when I hit a ball into the net. Sometimes I'd go, "aww, c'mon, what was that" when I hit a really bad shot.
I don't celebrate winners, ever.

sapient007
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
i usually hide a sharpie in my sock, so after i hit a winner, i run around to grab the ball, autograph it and then throw it to one of my rabid fans.

drakulie
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I would say "celebration goes too far", when your opponent wins the match, goes into the parking lot, and he and his family riot by flipping over cars, burning garbage cans, looting, etc.

You know, kind of like what happens after the super bowl every year.

zapvor
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
i usually hide a sharpie in my sock, so after i hit a winner, i run around to grab the ball, autograph it and then throw it to one of my rabid fans.

hahhahaha where do you hide the cell phone?

dave333
05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
ew, i played this intense varsity match where he came from behind. every rally he won he would just jump like crazy w/ COME ON!!! when he won, he basically danced around and was jumpin like crazy and just going YEAH!!! then he collapsed on the ground and then shook my hand.

funniest loss i evr had...

htrain
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
When people cheat on you, cheat them back. And people who are getting all riled up, take as much time between points as possible.

103xStateChamp
05-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I love celebrating after winners. It makes me want to hit more...I dont cheat on line calls though even if a kid cheats me but in doubles if they cheat I have to say they wont leave the match unmarked ;)

psp2
05-24-2007, 10:05 PM
When people cheat on you, cheat them back. And people who are getting all riled up, take as much time between points as possible.

This is so asinine!!

richw76
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
ew, i played this intense varsity match where he came from behind. every rally he won he would just jump like crazy w/ COME ON!!! when he won, he basically danced around and was jumpin like crazy and just going YEAH!!! then he collapsed on the ground and then shook my hand.

funniest loss i evr had...

Nice, yeah I usually just smile to myself when I have a great win.... When the guy was doing all that it had to **** you off a little, did you just try to ignore him ? Do you think all teh extra "stuff" had anything to do with you losing the match?

LuckyR
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
The only way to get someone like that to shut up is to win. If you can't win, you can't dictate their behavior.