PDA

View Full Version : How hard should I hit the ball in matches?

Ghosting
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
How hard should I hit the ball in my matches? I think about normal forehands, backhands, volleys and services. 70% pace and never less? I have problems with that.

LarougeNY
05-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah I'm not used to playing at 75% either, its usually 90 to 100% for me in practice. But I guess you should play at 70-75% pace, that way you're consistant but not easy to pick on.

zapvor
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
uh....what?

richw76
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I usually hit as hard as the situation allows(If you end up 8ft behind the baseline you're not gonna hit a winner, try to reset point by hitting deep topspin to backhand side)(if it's short cream it, and come into the net.)

but if I'm having a bad day or hitting into the net I'll give myself a margin for error and increase my consistancy by hitting higher over the net with more topspin. I have my coach in my head saying pretend there are two nets, the focus is depth and placement.

But I try to hit the same in games as in practice... or rather I try to practice the way I will play a match. You may loose more at first but lack of confidence will make you appreviate your swing, or get flat on your heels, and guarantee you lower your consistancy and loose.

Koaske
05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
How are you going to measure if you hit 70% of your full power or not? Also, what is 50% of maximum for some might be 80% of maximum for the others.
Just hit the ball consistently but also with some pace so that you can make your opponent run a bit. It also depends on the opponent and surface how fast you want to hit.

zzzbrianxxx
05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
ok. There's a drill I recommend for this. Go to the baseling and have somebody feed you balls from the service line to either the bh or fh. Hit a couple hundred in a row at varied paces. Try to build a rhythm. The idea is that you need to figure out how hard you can hit a ball before you start to lose a little bit of control. For the most part, you want to hit the ball as well as you can so that it will not go out. You have to develop a feel for how hard you can consitently hit. You want to hold back a little bit so that you can deliver a knock out punch on the appropiate ball.

fuzz nation
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
No sweat figuring this one out. Think of the two margins that you need to manage during a point. First, if you're hitting without enough pace that your opponent is taking advantage and pushing you around, then the routine shots you hit probably need to be faster (or placed better so he can't set up). That determines your lower velocity, drop shots aside.

Second, figure out early just how hard you can hit, given the type of shots your opponent is giving you, so that you know how big you can hit while keeping the ball in. Each opponent is different and you need to figure out the low and high ends of that range of pace you can use on them. This sounds obvious when it's written down, but you'll spend much of a match making errors or getting knocked around if you don't determine these "speed limits" at the start of your contest.

Bagumbawalla
05-24-2007, 08:15 PM
How hard should you hit the ball in matches?

That's like asking your mother what you should wear to school.

There comes a time when you need to start thinking for yourself.

If you understand the game at all, if you have been playing for any length of time, then you know, you have a feeling, a mental image, the experiencing of knowing that in a certain situation you want to do a certain thing with the ball. To do that thing, you hit it in a certain way with a certain spin to a certain place at a certain speed to create a particular effect. How hard you hit depends on many variables, including the type of shot, itself.

You know there is a time to hit out, a time to change pace, a time to be consertvative (percentage tennis) while setting up the point.

If you are self-aware of your own skills and limitations. You know how hard you can hit the ball under various circumstances and still be in control.

In general, you want to be as agressive as possible while remaining in control of your shots and forcing the opponent out of there comfort zone, forcing them to push their game higher and make mistakes.

So, how hard should you hit? The answer will vary from person to person and depends on your abilities (and those other factors)-- you have to figure this out for yourself.

Good luck,

B

boojay
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
so what SHOULD I wear to school?

thejackal
05-24-2007, 09:58 PM
i like to think of it as a car's gearbox. normally i play at 3rd gear, when i'm not playing well and trying to get my rhythm back i shift down to 2nd gear (meaning i might slice more on the bh, hit more crosscourt, hit 2 second serves or lob as opposed to hitting passing shots). other times i find that im hitting the ball really well, so i shift up to 4th, so to speak, and play more agressively.

Bagumbawalla
05-25-2007, 04:28 PM
boojay,

For school, I would suggest a purple velvet hooded warm-up top with a yellow chiffon scarf, pale celery-colored polka-dot "T" shirt and baggy plaid shorts with some really, really good running shoes.

B

Dink
05-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Not so hard as to cause the ball to burst into flames. Replacing balls can get rather expensive (trust me, I know;) ).

AngeloDS
05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Rather than thinking about how hard you should hit the ball, you should focus more on: "How fast do I need to swing my racquet?"

LuckyR
05-25-2007, 05:04 PM
How hard should I hit the ball in my matches? I think about normal forehands, backhands, volleys and services. 70% pace and never less? I have problems with that.

Hard enough to still get one more shot in than the other guy...