PDA

View Full Version : Legends on Tennis Channel 1992 Roland Garros 1 Monica Seles vs 2 Steffi Graf

FedSampras
05-24-2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD_FRkd_pSk&mode=related&search=

FedSampras
05-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Below you'll find the results, starting from the fourth round, of the Women's Singles Competition at the 1992 French Open

Fourth round

Monica Seles (YUG) [1] def. Akiko Kijimuta (JPN) 6-1 3-6 6-4

Jennifer Capriati (USA) [5] def. Mary Pierce (FRA) [13] 6-4 6-3

Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) [3] def. Patricia Hy (CAN) 6-3 6-1

Conchita Martinez (ESP) [7] def. Leila Meskhi (CIS) [15] 6-4 7-5

Manon Bollegraf (NED) def. Nathalie Tauziat (FRA) [12] 1-6 6-2

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [4] def. Kimiko Date (JPN) 6-1 6-2

Natalia Zvereva (CIS) def. Sabine Hack (GER) 6-3 6-3

Steffi Graf (GER) [2] def. Jana Novotna (TCH) [10] 6-1 6-4

Quarterfinals

Monica Seles (YUG) [1] def. Jennifer Capriati (USA) [5] 6-2 6-2

Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) [3] def. Conchita Martinez (ESP) [7] 3-6 6-3 6-2

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [4] def. Manon Bollegraf (NED) 6-2 6-3

Steffi Graf (GER) [2] def. Natalia Zvereva (CIS) 6-3 6-7 [4] 6-3

Semifinals

Monica Seles (YUG) [1] def. Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) [3] 6-3 4-6 6-4

Steffi Graf (GER) [2] def. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) [4] 0-6 6-2 6-2

Final

Monica Seles (YUG) [1] def. Steffi Graf (GER) [2] 6-2 3-6 10-8

FedSampras
05-24-2007, 07:14 PM
http://perso.orange.fr/grand_chelem_tennis/graf_selesRG92.jpg

(excerpts from an archive article)

Champion now for the third year running, Seles said that this match had been the "most emotional" of her life.
"It is one of the closest matches I have played anywhere," she said.
And it provided further evidence that women's tennis need not always be devoid of drama.
"It couldn't have been a better final," said Seles, who has won each of the six Grand Slam finals she has played. "It just shows that women's tennis is going to be that much more exciting. We need that."
The match got interesting toward the middle of the second set, when Graf faced that familiar now-or-never predicament.
Seles was serving at 3-3 and had already saved a couple of break points. Now, she was dealing with a third.
She delivered a deep forehand that Graf played back instinctively - straight into the net. But Graf probably did not see where her ball had gone because she was busy drawing a half-circle around the spot where, she asserted, Seles's shot had landed long.
So confident was Graf that she had won the point that, after she had summoned the umpire to take a look, she walked to her chair and sat down even before the ruling had been made. Sure enough, the umpire, Philippe Boivin, told Seles with his fingers, her ball had landed about an inch out of bounds. Graf had her break.
It took Graf only two more games to close out the second set. Seles never even moved when Graf's forehand winner whizzed by her on set point.
Seles got the upper hand in the third by breaking Graf for 2-1. The lead held up, and Graf eventually found herself serving at 3-5 to save the match.
And save it she did, again and again.
Four times Graf gave Seles a match point with an unforced error, and four times she got it back on her own. Not until the two had sweated through their fifth deuce game did Graf prevail by nailing a forehand down the line that Seles could only swat softly into the net.
"I have to give credit to Steffi," Seles said later. "She really went for them under pressure."
But Seles was now serving for the match at 5-4. It went like this: 0-15, 15-15, 15-30, 15-40 - all on unforced errors.
When Seles sent a backhand sailing long, Graf looked up at the heavens in a gesture of gratitude to whoever might have been savoring this match from on high.
The pair traded games to 7-7. At 30-40, Graf missed on a forehand to the corner, and, for the second time, Seles served for the match.
Graf gave up the first point on a faulty service return. Then came the prettiest point of the afternoon.
Graf braced to take a short forehand. Her reflex was right, and she got the ball, if timidly, back over the net. Seles was ready, and drilled it back to the corner. But Graf, anticipating this response, twisted around and launched a quick backhand winner down the line.
If Seles seemed stunned by that one, she was equally as exasperated by Graf's drop shot that came floating from nowhere on the next point. Two subsequent unforced errors by Seles, and Graf was back in the match.
But Graf's reservoir had run dry. In the end, she could not out-rally the determined Seles, who broke back immediately by humbling Graf with a cross-court backhand winner.
Serving once again for the title, this time at 9-8, Seles finally won it, but not before Graf had saved yet another match point.
Could Graf, champion here in 1987 and 1988, take some pleasure in knowing that she put up an honest fight?
"Right now there is no satisfaction," she said after she had showered. "It's great the way I came back, the way I fought every time. But I am disappointed in the way I played when I was leading."
Asked if she had meant what she told the spectators, Graf replied: "They were just great. I never had that kind of support before. It was just amazing. I have to say that it helped me."
Seles's victory made her the first woman to win three consecutive French titles since Hilde Sperling did it in 1935, '36 and '37.
And as she held her trophy up for all to admire, the world's top-ranked woman declared, "I just love playing here."