05-24-2007, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LpfSQ3xv8

share some opinions, ignore the last 10 seconds of the clip

tennisace432
05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
4.5 your not getting enough pop on the ball. good consistency tho

trav*17
05-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I like them, they are very smooth. They look like you could hit harder, and i'm no pro by a long shot, but i found deep knee bend helps out alot, especially with my backhand.

edberg505
05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow, this guy seems to be an awesome player. Very solid and heavy strokes. And his footworks seems to be first class. Potential college player?

drakulie
05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Excellent strokes. Compact, fluid, hits out in front and excellent racquet speed thru the contact zone. Great footwork!

I noticed on his forehand, his left arm is pointing down to the ground rather than "aiming" towards the ball. Still, he gets good coil, and the results look really good.

serveitup911
05-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Looks like 5.5 at least by the strokes. You're hitting a very hard and heavy ball.

The backhand is very smooth with great racquet head speed. The forehand is strong, but not quite as smooth as the backhand. Nice sound from the strings.

Nice footwork and preparation.

Could be higher than 5.5, but would have to serve, volleys, and match play.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you aren't already playing college, you could likely play at a solid DI school.

Great strokes though. They are very developed with what looks like lots of practice and dedication.

This guy would beat any 4.5 with no trouble whatsoever in less than 45 minutes.

Tennisace and Trav: The video must be deceiving. He's hitting the crap out of the ball - at least as hard as most guys I play at the DI college level.

trav*17
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't get me wrong they are going hard, haha he'd blow me off the court for sure, i just trying to say that if he were bend down a bit more, he could hit winners from anywhere.

drakulie
05-24-2007, 09:44 PM
^^^ I'm fairly certain the guy in this video could do that already.

tennisace432, 4.5???? I don't think to. This guy is well passed that level.

LarougeNY
05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Wow, is that you? How tall are you?
Anyway nice strokes. Really like the backhand.

And for the advice: in the last 10 seconds of the clip, you might want to tell her to bend her knees and not to let the ball drop that much before she hits it.

ChiefAce
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM

World class backhand technique for sure and I'm assuming you favor that side. The forehand needs work though, the non hitting arm is too low as it pulls across the body and the takeback height for the hitting hand is also a little too low. Depending on how well you serve you could potentially be a 5.5 player.

Flexxed
05-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Harder? He's crushing the ball.

Duzza
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM

It's comments like these that confuse everybody. Is that Bernard Tomic?? Lol maybe not, but looks a lot like him.

damasta55
05-25-2007, 12:17 AM
i'd say only a 5.0, top division II school looking.

Thud and blunder
05-25-2007, 01:39 AM
4.5 your not getting enough pop on the ball

World class backhand technique

Well, at least you're getting a range of opinions :D

Solat
05-25-2007, 01:40 AM
its not me btw...

Duzza
05-25-2007, 01:40 AM
its not me btw...

How old is the player?

Solat
05-25-2007, 01:43 AM
17 yo last year of school

Duzza
05-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Aw man...I wish I could hit like that....lol.

sinneTennis
05-25-2007, 06:49 AM
I was about to say, no way in hell that kids only a 4.5

ssjkyle31
05-25-2007, 07:38 AM
It would be hard to say the player is anything above a 4.0. He might very well be a 5.0 but a training video is not a good judge of rating above 4.0. Some of the balls did go out and most of the ball were feed to him. If the player had rally with another player who mixed topspin, underspin and flat shot, you can say yea he atleast a 4.0.

pushing_wins
05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
win or lose

his stroke are so smooth

maverick1
05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
It would be hard to say the player is anything above a 4.0. He might very well be a 5.0 but a training video is not a good judge of rating above 4.0. Some of the balls did go out and most of the ball were feed to him. If the player had rally with another player who mixed topspin, underspin and flat shot, you can say yea he atleast a 4.0.

I was thinking something like that. There are pros whose strokes don't look as good as this guy, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see 4.0 players with equally fluid strokes against easy feeds. So all I can say is 4.0 to 7.0.

This forum has gone soft over the last six month. Comments have gone from overly disparaging to overly generous.

I can hit forehands and backhands with nice form(though not as well as this guy) as long the ball is coming to me in a nice grooved pattern and all I am focusing on is my technique.
But a point that is hardly emphasized by even the teaching pros on this board is that almost everything depends on judging the incoming ball early. In real matches, the balls have different pace, vertical and horizontal spin, bounce. Even after you start the forward swing, you often find the ball requires some adjustment. That is what messes up the form of your stroke. That messes up he form.
It is easy to teach form, but very hard to raise the level of someone's game.

superbooga
05-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Probably at least a 4.5 but anything higher it's hard to say.

First of all, he's being fed balls. There are a lot of people who can hit like that when being fed balls.

That being said, his hitting is good but not THAT impressive. He is not crushing the ball like some of you guys say. He doesn't hit "through" the ball enough. Additionally, he's really doesn't have that explosive uncoil huge hitters have.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, he looks rushed on some of the shots, is off-balanced, and mishits one of them. He's trying to locate the place where the ball will go and trying to meet the ball there at the same. That's not what a good player does. A good player thinks about the path of the ball and tries to position himself in the path before the ball gets there.

Unless he just simply wasn't trying, I don't see him being consistent in a high-paced rally.

drakulie
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Believe it or not >>>> He is crushing the ball. Video does not do speed of shots justice.

I agree he is being fed balls making it easier for him, but typically guys who are 5.0 + are the ones who have fluid strokes like this. And even 5.0's strokes breakdown during drills. This guy is just doing it over and over and over >> like clockwork.

bad_call
05-25-2007, 06:40 PM
It would be hard to say the player is anything above a 4.0. He might very well be a 5.0 but a training video is not a good judge of rating above 4.0.

yeah. stroke mechanics are good but hard to say unless pressed by another player of about equal or greater caliber.

Orly_Yarly
05-25-2007, 06:56 PM
nice serve(r) ^^

superbooga
05-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Believe it or not >>>> He is crushing the ball. Video does not do speed of shots justice.

I agree he is being fed balls making it easier for him, but typically guys who are 5.0 + are the ones who have fluid strokes like this. And even 5.0's strokes breakdown during drills. This guy is just doing it over and over and over >> like clockwork.

Well I just watched the video with sound son (watched it w/o sound the first time). He is hitting hard, harder than I though, but it's still a ways from total crushing. It's not very explosive, and he's not really unloading into the ball. People who really crush the ball can hit knee-level shots that barely clear the net, land in the service box, and hit the fence several feet up.

Kid Carlos
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
pretty good, however you could benefit by using your left hand more on you forehand by extending it. As well as mentioned before you could use more legs on both the forehand and backhand. You seem to have good timing, I would try to be a little looser, you seem to be a tad tight on the grip. You will get even more pop with less effort.

BkK_b0y14
05-25-2007, 07:52 PM
^^^^ true, if you have balls fed to u, u can always hit it that hard....

drakulie
05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
People who really crush the ball can hit knee-level shots that barely clear the net, land in the service box, and hit the fence several feet up.

LMAO. Please post a video of someone doing this.

By the way, here is a forehand hit by Geal Monfils (A Pro). This shot was clocked at over 100 mph, and after the first bounce does not land that far behind the baseline. Yet you contend that people who "really crush the ball" could hit this type of shot, but make it land in the service box and then hit the back fence several feet up. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ5fS0EHr9Q

Like I said, the guy in the video here **IS** "crushing" the ball.

35ft6
05-26-2007, 04:07 AM
He looks like a serious junior player. Serious as in pretty high sectional ranking quality. Maybe top 30 in Boys 18's So Cal, much higher somewhere less competitive. Very nice backhand. Yes, he's being fed cupcakes, but he's generating his own easy power purely on good technique.

iplaybetter
05-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I want to see some that are in play not feeds.

ps60
05-26-2007, 11:11 AM
a practising kid, that's it.

as someone said, u can't judge it with balls feed.
pull him out of his comfort zone and that's more interesting.

35ft6
05-26-2007, 12:19 PM
a practising kid, that's it.

as someone said, u can't judge it with balls feed. Yeah, you can. This is an absurd notion. Likewise, you can get a read on somebody by just watching them at a driving range (golf) or batting cage (baseball). His backhand is 5.0 level at least.

Solat
05-27-2007, 07:02 AM
ok I have let this simmer for a couple of days, seem to have a fair bit of comments so I will let you know where he stands.

Basically he is the best jnr (u18) from my state in Australia, other then Klein who is currently #4 ind the world i believe. Which would make him maybe 10 in Aus for jnrs, its hard to tell because we are isolated and he doesnt get the tourny numbers as the players on the other side of the country.

I believe he will probably head to the US for college when he finishes school, so commencing in '08. His current ITN is 3 which is NTRP 5.5, but he will play #1 for State League this year so may get up to a 2.5 if he has some good results.

J011yroger
05-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Anyone notice a theme/trend? The higher level posters are more accurate, with their assessments of similar players, and the lower level posters are more off to the low side?

I know why, but I don't really wanna say it. What I will say is that everyone should look at themself on video.

J

35ft6
05-27-2007, 10:24 AM
^ I don't understand how somebody can look at this kid's backhand and think he's anything below 5.0.

He's crushing his backhands. I think people are misled by his smooth technique. Likewise, I think people overestimate Serena and Sharapova's power because they're yelling on every ball. People look for the physical "cues" of power, like crazy swings and loud noise. This kid is using great technique to calmly pound backhands, using great timing, and people think he's hitting soft because he doesn't seem to be exerting himself, because he's not giving them the cues they associate with power.

They're probably more impressed by this guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zyLVpOxkA_A&mode=related&search=). I mean, just look at the effort he's putting into it.

power_play21
05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
this thread proves people dont have any idea how fast and hard players are hitting on video.

this guy IS crushing the ball, like drak said. to the guy who said he is not unloading, players with good technique dont need to "unload" to get good pace on the ball. "unloading" may happen on a winner or two, and it decreases your accuracy, to just blindly power 100% on the ball. i think this kid achieves most of his power there from good technique.

Prince_of_Tennis
05-27-2007, 12:18 PM
this thread proves people dont have any idea how fast and hard players are hitting on video.

this guy IS crushing the ball, like drak said. to the guy who said he is not unloading, players with good technique dont need to "unload" to get good pace on the ball. "unloading" may happen on a winner or two, and it decreases your accuracy, to just blindly power 100% on the ball. i think this kid achieves most of his power there from good technique.

Yes, this person is crushing the ball but come on he is unloading on most of the balls. Watch the video again especially when it gets to his forehand side. His backhand is definitely the better side. On his forehand side you can see him hitting off his heels on some of the shots. I'm not taking anything away from this guy he is a good ball striker, but he looks tight on some of his shots.

Man I haven't been on this forum in ages...

Solat
10-29-2008, 01:56 AM
im bumping this thread coz the guy in it beat Tomic in a Futures earlier this month

not bad for some kid..

Djokovicfan4life
10-29-2008, 02:28 AM
His takeback on the forehand side seems a little unorthodox, it's pretty much just straight back with no loop at all. At this point it's probably not worth changing it though.

This guy is an awesome player, for sure. His backhand is just amazing.

Thud and blunder
10-29-2008, 03:01 AM
im bumping this thread coz the guy in it beat Tomic in a Futures earlier this month

not bad for some kid..

Bloody impressive for a 4.5!

Dreamer
10-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Haha that's funny, time for some people to eat their words. yum!

WBF
10-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Before I read his age, I would have said 5.0 at the very lowest. Absolutely solid looking strokes, and good footwork.

After reading his age though, I'm not sure. I would still say a 5.0 and up, but I would imagine the upper end is far more limited. Inexperience and youthful vigor can bring a player down even against lesser skilled opponents. Even for kids like this or other top college prospects. Based on the experience you've underlined, I would imagine he might overcome the typical difficulties teenagers/young adults face.

I can't even believe someone posted "4.5". What a joke.

drakulie
10-29-2008, 06:35 AM

not bad for some kid..

All of you are a disgrace to the boards.:::

i'd say only a 5.0, top division II school looking.

Probably at least a 4.5 but anything higher it's hard to say.

First of all, he's being fed balls. There are a lot of people who can hit like that when being fed balls.

Well I just watched the video with sound son (watched it w/o sound the first time). He is hitting hard, harder than I though, but it's still a ways from total crushing. It's not very explosive, and he's not really unloading into the ball. People who really crush the ball can hit knee-level shots that barely clear the net, land in the service box, and hit the fence several feet up.

bad_call
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM

not bad for some kid..

good for him...the brat...j/k. hope he goes on with it. great to see the new talent making it to the televised tourneys.

btw - looks like he hits quite flat. what happened to the "modern" game?

Virtua Tennis
10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
His foot work is sloppy sometimes he steps in sometimes he doesn't. Then theres the am I an open stance hitter or a closed stance hitter.

You don't drop your shoulder enough to drive the ball and your forehand stroke you seem to be hitting a lot on your back foot hence all that wrist action to compensate and topspin it over.

sinned
10-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Seems like you have a consistent and reliable strokes, so its at least a 4.0. Everything above that is just movement, tactics, and knowing when to hit which stroke.

lancernrg
11-01-2008, 05:00 PM

All I am interested in is the sizzling hottie at the end of that video.

Hook a brotha up!

tennisfreak15347
11-01-2008, 05:23 PM
we'd have to see actual game play to truly determine NTRP. some people act completely different compared to gameplay and just hitting around. Still.... I wish I had his backhand.... :lol:.

Solat
11-03-2008, 02:22 AM
All I am interested in is the sizzling hottie at the end of that video.

Hook a brotha up!

what kind of jail term were u looking for?

FitzRoy
11-03-2008, 02:33 AM
I rate these strokes an 8.

phoenicks
11-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Since I have been taking listen, i keep listening to the ball contact sound, and when I really listen to the sound, he's really hitting the crap out of the ball, and to those ppl who said that any1 can crush a feed ball, a good forehand is still a good forehand no matter how the ball is coming towards you.

If your forehand is not fundamentally sound, the bad form will creep up no matter how fast or slow the ball is coming towards you, you just can't hide it, just cant

wangman31888
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
like ur backhand but i think u need to slow down on the forehand side a bit. keep an eye on it a tad longer and drive through the ball more, it should look more effortless like your backhand

Bungalo Bill
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Not bad for someone not above a 4.0. :) Sort of ridiculous to think this player was not higher than 4.0. He was crushing that ball. Granted it was practice, but there was more in hi stroke than just ripping a twohander. His feet were looking good along with other things.

TonyB
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Great strokes. Most definitely was crushing the ball virtually every time.

I did not much care for his left arm positioning (straight down at the ground) for his forehand. I think if he corrects that it would improve his consistency on that side.

Don't flame me, I'm sure he could crush everyone on this board. I'm just nitpicking.

The funny part is that when I watch these videos I notice just how few balls I actually hit in any given session. He hit more backhands in that one short clip than I hit in a month of playing. Since I don't pay for lessons and I have to pay to play indoors now, I only play matches, and 90% of them are doubles (to split up the cost).

But it just goes to show just how many balls you need to hit in repetition to groove your strokes. It's no wonder why so few people hit a good ball like that. Most of us just don't have the time (or the money), quite frankly.

NickC
11-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Seems like you have a consistent and reliable strokes, so its at least a 4.0. Everything above that is just movement, tactics, and knowing when to hit which stroke.

Dude, at least a 4.0? Are you stupid? This kid just beat Bernard Tomic, do you know who that is? Hint, he won 4 straight ITF 18 and Under titles as a 13-year old. He's in the top 10 ITF Juniors and has been for quite some time now.

Rickson
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Very Roddickesque backhand.

Djokovicfan4life
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Very Roddickesque backhand.

No way, man. Roddick's arm's are much stiffer during the backswing than this guy's are. His backhand is very effortless, while Roddick's backhand just screams "Boy, I wish I were hitting a forehand right now"!

phoenicks
11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
No way, man. Roddick's arm's are much stiffer during the backswing than this guy's are. His backhand is very effortless, while Roddick's backhand just screams "Boy, I wish I were hitting a forehand right now"!

haha, very funny and true indeed.