PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press Technique - ?s

snoopy
05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
1) Where should the bar be in relation to your nipples, above them or right where they are?

2) Should my elobows be out or tucked close to my sides?

3) What grip should I use, wide or closed?

richw76
05-25-2007, 04:23 AM
1) Where should the bar be in relation to your nipples, above them or right where they are?

1: to your nipples

2: depends how close your grip is, but it should feel natural

3: both. Close grip is mostly a tricep excercise. wider grip activates the pecs. Usually if you reach up a grab teh bar in a natural place(close your eyes and grab bar) you're probably good. On your Arm day do a few sets of close grip.

----Probably the most important thing to not get injured and make progress is don't bounce or use leverage to move the weight. Use your muscle to move the weight. It sounds weird but once you do it the first time you'll understand. keep your butt on the bench, during excercise. Have a spotter, and go as heavy as you can for 6-12 reps keeping good form. And remember Stay focused you're not actually building much muscle until that last hard rep or two in the third set :-)

Sleepstream
05-25-2007, 08:52 PM

1: To the nipple focuses primarily on the mid fibers of the pectoral muscles. Above the nipple will incorporate a bit more of the clavicular fibers, and also tends to give a better stretch. I rarely use the BB when on the bench. DBs are more effective at working the stablizers.

2: Flared elbows will work tend to work the pectoral muscles more than the anterior deltoid and triceps. Tucked in will use the triceps and anterior deltoid a good bit.

3: Wide for chest, close for triceps

Other hints: when doing the BB bench press, try to make a mind-muscle connection and focus on squeezing the pectoral muscles in order to move the weight, if you are trying to work the chest, that is. I've seen many guys who may move more weight than I do on the bench, but they have no chest at all. The flat bench is actually just an exercise to boast how much you can lift, and the incline and decline bench are much better in my opinion. The incline for hitting the upper chest fibers and the decline for getting the lower ones.

Note: I am typing this with a sore chest from a nice day of upper body training yesterday. Sure, DOMS may not be an indication of effectiveness, but my chest was quite fatgiued when I left the gym. :mrgreen: