PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Club Cost?

lidation
05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Every now and then I hear some people here suggest going to tennis clubs, where you can hit balls with many other people and make new friends.

I checked. Within 30 miles of where I live, there is only one, and the membership costs $2500+!!!! :confused:

WTF?

Is this normal for a tennis club cost? My SCCA membership only costs me $70 and I can save tons of money when attending AutoX events. Why tennis is so expensive?

How much do you pay your tennis club?

chrisak47
05-25-2007, 02:52 AM
@_@...

$2500 for a year?!?!

My club has clay courts with indoor hardcourts and they only charge $180 for June to September with the Summer plan. After that, I think it is $300 max.

Bodacious DVT
05-25-2007, 03:50 AM
my club has 8 indoor, 12 outdoor with 4 clay courts. its 35 a month

Thud and blunder
05-25-2007, 04:01 AM
AT 2.5k, that's not a tennis club (except maybe in name..), its a frigging country club.

origmarm
05-25-2007, 04:27 AM
That is definitely a lot, even by London standards (which are a lot!). I've seen them up to about that but usually thats for a country club or a huge "health spa" style place with gym, pool, squash, bball etc....
When I was in upstate NY I used to pay $100 a month for a club with really good facilities (i.e. 20+ courts, free ball machines etc...), there was one with just indoor courts for about $45 a month

tennis-n-sc
05-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Every now and then I hear some people here suggest going to tennis clubs, where you can hit balls with many other people and make new friends.

I checked. Within 30 miles of where I live, there is only one, and the membership costs $2500+!!!! :confused:

WTF?

Is this normal for a tennis club cost? My SCCA membership only costs me $70 and I can save tons of money when attending AutoX events. Why tennis is so expensive?

Depends on where the clubs are and what the local population is willing to pay. I pay $120 a month for tennis/ pool and social membership at a golf country club. They also charge a $40 food minimum but the food is great and we enjoy that. We pay no court fees for 7 clay courts and three hard courts. It is nice and the staff is great.

The cost to build and operate a tennis facility is huge and the profit margins are usually very thin. The cost has to be justified and the debt serviced. It doesn't seem outlandish to me that $2500 is charged, although I probably wouldn't pay it.

goober
05-25-2007, 06:00 AM

WTF?

I find that public tennis facilities are the best deal. I pay $0 membership fees :D. $2-4 to play, leagues $25-35, group lessons, which I don't take, I think are about $70-100 for 8 weeks.

Of course there is a club nearby me which $30,000 to join for tennis and $150,000 for golf 8)

Geezer Guy
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
The private club I belong to costs $50 per month. Court costs are extra in the spring/winter/fall, but free in the summer.

Serve em Up
05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
There is a huge difference depending on where you live. $2500/year is not uncommon in large metro areas where real estate prices are high.

If you live in a rural area, or place where incomes and real estate prices are traditionally lower, club rates will be priced accordingly.

Jyles
05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
lol, that is funny 2.5k :!~ if you got the cash burn it lol.. thats if you rich, the club i go to only cost $75 dollars month, 4 indoor courts 6 outdoor courts, also good pricing for coaches only like 25 dollars per lesson, (got to be paying club price to so lol)

andymac1
05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Let's see. My club has 5 indoor hard courts, 2 outdoor clay courts, and 1 outdoor hard court, and I only pay 40$ a month, but then again I do only pay the Junior fee.

Jlocke
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I have a family plan that costs $100 a month that includes 16 outdoor hardcourts, pool, spa, fitness center, and free membership at a nearby golf course. All we have to pay is green fees.

Central CA

zapvor
05-25-2007, 06:26 PM

WTF?

so...where do you live? i say build a tennis court in your backyard.