PDA

View Full Version : Drop shot grip

guedoguedo
05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
On the forehand, do you switch to continental at the last second? or use your standard grip? I really only try it on the BH side because im already in a continental grip.

I forgot how pros do it but will pay attention watching the french open!I feel like nadal uses his FH grip. If you can do that, that is great for disguising

johnny ballgame
05-25-2007, 07:18 AM
On the forehand, do you switch to continental at the last second? or use your standard grip? I really only try it on the BH side because im already in a continental grip.

I forgot how pros do it but will pay attention watching the french open!I feel like nadal uses his FH grip. If you can do that, that is great for disguising

I've hit the FH drop both ways (continental and SW). More bite with conti, but harder to do it at the last second.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Continental. Rafa and others can switch without using the other hand, but unless you do it a lot, I would just use the other hand to set it on the takeback.

Bagumbawalla
05-25-2007, 04:19 PM
The whole point of a drop-shot is disguise. If you "telegraph" your intention by changing ANYTHING, takeback, grip, stance, facial expression-- whatever, you lower your chances of chaching the opponent off guard.

If you can hit the drop-shot with your normal grip and motion, I would suggest that you do so. If you have problems doing that, then, of course, you have to do the best you can.

Good luck,

B

zapvor
05-25-2007, 05:27 PM
for me it depends on how much drop i want. if i want like super drop shot, i switch,but if i decide last minute or isnt going for a drop shot winner i may just leave it at the SW grip. disguise is fun too, but usually when i disguise it ends up being UE :(

Undrayon
05-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Some of you might have seen this, but Comcast Digital Cable now has a section called sportskool on On Demand. There is a tennis section where Brad Gilbert goes over forehands, backhands, etc with the help of people such as the Bryan Brothers for examples.

In the dropshot video, he goes over how to hit a forehand/backhand dropshot with the help of Anna Kournikova. Her dropshot is amazing. She uses a semi-western grip (from what I could tell) and does not change to a continental. They claim many times that no matter how good your dropshot is, if your opponent sees it coming then they will usually get to it and put it away in higher level tennis. The secret is disguise. She sets up for a normal forehand, then changes course at the last second. The trick, they say, for the dropshot with a forehand (semi-western etc) grip is breaking the wrist as you spoon the ball. (yes, spoon was the exact wording). On her backhand, she sets up with both hands and releases her top hand before she hits the ball, she spoons under the ball and finishes with the strings facing downwards.

(btw, spooning the ball means that you dont cut down on it and stop... your racquet sweeps under the ball and back up, like how the surface of a spoon starts high, goes low, then goes back up again)

Btw, I am in no way endorsing Comcast. I am simply trying to spread tennis information that I have learned and since the videos are from highly distinguished people, I feel confident in using the advice they give. I mentioned Comcast and On Demand for the sole purpose of letting subscribers know they have access to these videos.

zapvor
05-28-2007, 11:53 AM
hmm...they had anna demonstrating? interesting...

Undrayon
05-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok, I've been watching the videos and now it appears her grip is closer to an eastern. So nobody can flame me now if I'm wrong : P

NoSkillzAndy
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I almost always use a Continental grip on both my forehand & backhand drop shots. You can hit a dropper with pretty much any grip, but Continental seems to be the most effective. Of course I would recommend trying to disguise your intentions as much as possible, which can but doesn't necessarily have to include a last-minute grip change. You can generally accomplish the same effect by setting up your feet and body for a topspin ground stroke and positioning your racquet head to make it look like you're going to rip it. A nice bonus with the Continental grip is that you can always "abort" the drop shot if you think your opponent is anticipating it and hit a normal slice instead.

[K]aotic
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
i rarely do dropshot with my forehand. i always drop with my backhand and give the ball a wicked sidespin+underspin.

1. that throws the opponent off
2. its harder for him to get

topspin_17
05-29-2007, 04:58 AM
haha kaotic, that's like me! i did that in a tournament match the other day, and he didnt know what hit him! the bad thing though is that the umpire called a let because his hat fell off (he should have lost the point according to the rules)