PDA

View Full Version : Former Tour de France champ Riis admits to doping

Marius_Hancu
05-25-2007, 08:13 AM
One of the very few coming clean but oh so late ...

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=63a620e5-3a2c-449f-ae14-6e4a80160d84

chess9
05-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes, very sad to see. I'm afraid the pressures of high stakes racing was too much for most of the riders.

Thanks for the post.

-Robert

Trinity TC
05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
It happened a lot at the second tier level too with cyclists that were trying to get to the top level.

OrangeOne
05-25-2007, 01:08 PM
"He has behaved unethically and immorally," said Danish Culture Minister Brian Mikkelsen, whose department oversees sports. "It is totally despicable."

Crap, remind me not to move to Denmark when I'm looking for some support. My version of that press-release

"Whilst clearly regrettable, it's refreshing to see an athlete being exceptionally honest about a situation that occurred in the past. Let us not forget, and whilst it in no way makes these action acceptable, that many, many athletes at the time were in a very similar position to Riis. Perhaps he will be the first of many to speak out and further help to clean up the sport of cycling."

....or some-such. To write the guy off is despicable in itself. He's come out, in a way almost supplicated himself, been honest (eventually) and is giving up his win...

I wonder if he will keep his job with the CSC team?

OrangeOne
05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
It happened a lot at the second tier level too with cyclists that were trying to get to the top level.

You make a good point, and it's so much scarier at the lower levels. The upper levels have the good drugs, the monitoring and the doctors.

The lower levels - well they have a vial of something that someone else told them would help them go fast, and perhaps not a lot more....