PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: 1 BH Players - What's the best Approach Shot?

In D Zone
05-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Attention 1 BH Players.

A short ball to your back hand side (either on Deuce or Ad side), what do you do with the ball?

- As you run towards the ball : Do you hit the ball flat, top spin or slice?

- Which direction? cross court, down the line or angle?

Slice cross court is the first option but I find it too predictable especially against net players. I know how to hit a slice down the line but it requires perfect footwork and timing because you are motion. I am looking for some ideas.

I found mastering the Running 1 BH shot difficult. Is there any tips out there to master this? How do you capitalized on this shot?

I was able to master my forehand approach shot and now I want to do the same on the back hand side.

Thanks!!

Brian_C
05-25-2007, 03:34 PM
i like to hit a strong topspin cross court putting all my weight on the ball makes it harder to return

thejackal
05-25-2007, 07:20 PM
low balls i will slice 80% of the time. if it's a high sitter i will probably hit it flat to either corner. once in a while i hit short crosscourt angles just to mix it up.

Solat
05-27-2007, 06:18 AM
slice up the line 93% of the time

FiveO
05-27-2007, 07:01 AM
If you've maneuvered your opponent and yourself into positions advantageous for you to transition forward and determined that it is appropriate to hit an "approach" as opposed to going for an outright winner, slicing dtl and deep 8 out of 10 opportunities is a good ratio with the remaining 20% devoted to change ups, i.e. deep or shorter x-courts and drop shots to keep the opponent honest.

Of course, this is predicated on the idea that the opponent does not have disparately one better and one glaringly worse wing off the ground.

Good luck,

dave333
05-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Slice as you can keep moving forward. You can either do low so they really have to hit up or drive them back with a deeper one and sneak up closer.

Sakumo
05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I almost always use hard topspin cross court angle, if I'm not I'm position, slice down the line.

TheSnowMan
05-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Slice to the weaker side

Sakumo
05-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Slice to the weaker side

You should always slice down the line so you don't get passed. It has to do with strategy and angles. You have more room to pass on the side that the person hit the ball to, so you follow the ball to where you hit it and cut off angles.

In D Zone
05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
If you've maneuvered your opponent and yourself into positions advantageous for you to transition forward and determined that it is appropriate to hit an "approach" as opposed to going for an outright winner, slicing dtl and deep 8 out of 10 opportunities is a good ratio with the remaining 20% devoted to change ups, i.e. deep or shorter x-courts and drop shots to keep the opponent honest.

Of course, this is predicated on the idea that the opponent does not have disparately one better and one glaringly worse wing off the ground.

Good luck,

Excellent Point 5! I need to exercise patience rather going for the winner each time; I think that's what frustrates me which makes me loose my concentration. I am pretty quick at the net (all around player), I just need to pick my battles.

Thanks!

thejackal
05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
You should always slice down the line so you don't get passed. It has to do with strategy and angles. You have more room to pass on the side that the person hit the ball to, so you follow the ball to where you hit it and cut off angles.

always is a bit too restrictive though. sure roddick gets passed when he slices crosscourt, but if your opponent's weaker side really is weak (as in below 4.0-4.5), then he wont make those shots consistantly enough to win. changing direction on a low slice for most players, nevermind on their weak side with pressure, is hard enough as it is.

Toph
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
the easiest way for me to hit a running backhand (i am assuming you are talking about the short ones) is to slow down, but not stop, before you hit the ball, so that instead of sprinting through the ball, you are hitting closer to a slow jogging speed.

In D Zone
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I saw Federer rebounded from second set against Robredo at French Open.

Federer hits his bh approach shots with some much ease - combination of flat and top spins. I like your point TOPH - moving towards the ball on a controlled pace which focusing on hitting the ball.

Did you guys see how Federer hit on his bh approach that produced those mean drop shots towards the end of the 4th set to finish out Robredo?

MAN! what control!!!!

Geezer Guy
06-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Generally, you hit approach shots down the line so you can cover the angles better. However, a backhand approach down the line goes to your opponents forehand, and a less than perfect shot to even an average forehand can end up with you getting passed either dtl or cc (or even lobbed). On the other hand if you approach cross-court you'll be going to their weaker side, but if you don't cover it properly you're open to the down-the-line pass - especially if your opponent has a 2hbh (and if he has a 1hbh he may pass you cross-court).

I usually hit slice backhand approach shots both CC and DTL until I see which one is working better against that particular opponent. Then I go with that one more often (but still mix them up).

Rickson
06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Attention 1 BH Players.

A short ball to your back hand side (either on Deuce or Ad side), what do you do with the ball?

- As you run towards the ball : Do you hit the ball flat, top spin or slice?

- Which direction? cross court, down the line or angle?

Slice cross court is the first option but I find it too predictable especially against net players. I know how to hit a slice down the line but it requires perfect footwork and timing because you are motion. I am looking for some ideas.

I found mastering the Running 1 BH shot difficult. Is there any tips out there to master this? How do you capitalized on this shot?

I was able to master my forehand approach shot and now I want to do the same on the back hand side.

Thanks!!
Approach? If I had a short ball to the bh, I'd look for the flat bomb rather than an approach shot, but if I chose to approach, I'd go for a slice to his bh side whether it's crosscourt or up the line for a lefty.

Sakumo
06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
always is a bit too restrictive though. sure roddick gets passed when he slices crosscourt, but if your opponent's weaker side really is weak (as in below 4.0-4.5), then he wont make those shots consistantly enough to win. changing direction on a low slice for most players, nevermind on their weak side with pressure, is hard enough as it is.

True. lol @ roddick getting passed 24/7.

chair ump
06-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Slice, but mix up the deep ones with shallow angles.

In D Zone
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
True. lol @ roddick getting passed 24/7.

Why is Roddick getting slammed on his bh approach slice?

Was it because he does not mix up his shots with flat or top spins? Or he just go for the cross court all the time (predictable)?

One would figure that he plays with a 2BH that he can hit bh approach on the run with ease and power. Connors must not been stressing that drill with him.

gully
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
If the ball sits up, I'll take a flat rip at it. If it's at a reasonable pace with topspin, I can hit my slice a lot sharper, and with good sidespin, crosscourt, usually well enough to force an error or a weak reply. Unfortunately, I can't hit the slice nearly as sharply up the line, though I will go that way sometimes, too.

Slazenger
06-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Attention 1 BH Players.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation where I would be hitting a backhand off a short ball in the duece court.

My options are for short ball in the ad court.

If the short ball is not too low; so slightly below net height and above My first choice is flat drive up the line.
Mind you, this is my best shot and the shot that gives me the most winners in matches. I have very good accuracy and depth on this shot, even when there is pressure on me, so on a short ball when I have all the time in the world to set up, that's my first choice.

I am also able to hit an angled cross court backhand but I will only do this to keep my opponent honest or if he is camping out in his forehand corner

I am going for winners with these shots.

If the ball is well below net height, I will either slice up the line if my opponent is at the baseline, or hit a topspin BH angled crosscourt if he is inside the baseline, looking to move in.

What you are describing isn't exactly a running BH. A running bh/fh refers to lateral movement, movement on the full stretch etc.

In any case, master the carioca step and you will be moving through slices and topspin approaches smoothly.

tennis_hand
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM

always?? this is such a myth. u can also follow a cross court slice to your opponent's backhand and cut off angles. after all, most people are weak on backhand.

tennis_hand
06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Why is Roddick getting slammed on his bh approach slice?

Was it because he does not mix up his shots with flat or top spins? Or he just go for the cross court all the time (predictable)?

One would figure that he plays with a 2BH that he can hit bh approach on the run with ease and power. Connors must not been stressing that drill with him.

He goes DTL on his slice all the time! and get passed by Fed on a cross court winner. LOL..

In D Zone
06-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation where I would be hitting a backhand off a short ball in the duece court.
My options are for short ball in the ad court.

If the short ball is not too low; so slightly below net height and above My first choice is flat drive up the line.
Mind you, this is my best shot and the shot that gives me the most winners in matches. I have very good accuracy and depth on this shot, even when there is pressure on me, so on a short ball when I have all the time in the world to set up, that's my first choice.

I am also able to hit an angled cross court backhand but I will only do this to keep my opponent honest or if he is camping out in his forehand corner

I am going for winners with these shots.

If the ball is well below net height, I will either slice up the line if my opponent is at the baseline, or hit a topspin BH angled crosscourt if he is inside the baseline, looking to move in.

What you are describing isn't exactly a running BH. A running bh/fh refers to lateral movement, movement on the full stretch etc.

In any case, master the carioca step and you will be moving through slices and topspin approaches smoothly.

BH Short ball on the Deuce side ie. ball is return to the middle of the court while you are at the deuce side of the court. You normally see this on doubles (you are covering the deuce side from the baseline), or when your opponent gives you a weak return while you are serving from the deuce side.

Running BH clarification- good point. But what is the Carioca step?

skiracer55
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
...plus, if you're not in good enough position to go either down the line or cross court, right up the middle isn't a bad idea. It's also not a bad idea against people who take an angle and give you a better angle...folks like this have a hard time with balls hit right at them...

sinned
06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I hit it to the weaker side either really low bounce or really high bounce. I'd try to make them worry about hitting the ball more than me coming in.

Slazenger
06-08-2007, 09:54 PM
BH Short ball on the Deuce side ie. ball is return to the middle of the court while you are at the deuce side of the court. You normally see this on doubles (you are covering the deuce side from the baseline), or when your opponent gives you a weak return while you are serving from the deuce side.

Running BH clarification- good point. But what is the Carioca step?

Check this out:

http://www.tennisone.com/newsletter/template/11.22.04.newsletter.html

rfprse
06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Down the line slice approach is the basic you need to master.
After that, use your imagination.
Btw, don't hit right back to the opponent by blindly following the principle of approaching down the line.

Sakumo
06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
always?? this is such a myth. u can also follow a cross court slice to your opponent's backhand and cut off angles. after all, most people are weak on backhand.

It's more how much running you have to do if you slice cross court, because you need to go to the other net side, instead of slicing down the line.

In D Zone
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Check this out:

http://www.tennisone.com/newsletter/template/11.22.04.newsletter.html

I did the Carioca drill last week - played a match yesterday and it worked!
The footwork helped as I was able to move and get to the ball with ease on both instances (bh approach and on the dead run to my bh). I was kept my hip side ways which allowed me to hit the ball clean and with control - down the line or cross court.

I won the game!!!

THANK YOU for the tip Slazenger!

Slazenger
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
I did the Carioca drill last week - played a match yesterday and it worked!
The footwork helped as I was able to move and get to the ball with ease on both instances (bh approach and on the dead run to my bh). I was kept my hip side ways which allowed me to hit the ball clean and with control - down the line or cross court.

I won the game!!!

THANK YOU for the tip Slazenger!

:D anytime man.

burosky
06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Here's a different perspective. For me it is all about the concept of time and space as it relates to tennis. Time pertains to the amount of time one has to set up for the shot. Space pertains to the target area. Therefore, my short answer is combination of all 3 shots.

Just what the heck am I talking about? If I can rob my opponent of enough time to set up for a shot, I know my opponent will not be able to hit an effective shot. Also, if I can force my opponent to hit to a smaller target, I know my opponent's chances of missing is higher. Therefore, in choosing the appropriate shot, it all depends on which shot will not give my opponent enough time or force my opponent to hit to a smaller target or better yet, both.

For example, most people will advise to hit your approach shots deep to the corner of your opponent's weaker side. Although this is generally a sound rule, it is not always the most effective shot. Picture this. You have your opponent pinned 5 feet from the baseline on the corner of his stronger side. You get a shot you can approach on. Which shot will be more effective? An approach shot deep to the corner of your opponent's weaker side or one that bounces a second time well within the base line towards the opposite side (I'm not even talking about a drop shot)? This is sort of a trick question. The appropriate answer is; whichever will rob my opponent of time or space or both.

If you can make this way of thinking a second nature to you like your strokes, you will be much more effective as a player. Either you play singles or doubles, although scenarios may be different, this concept applies. Consciously or unconsciously, advanced players use this concept in their game.

It is not rare to find advanced players who do not hit hard. However, if you were playing one, most likely you will more often than not feel like out of balance or forced to hit a tougher shot. The next time this happens to you, take some time to think of how that player got you into feeling that way. Pay particular attention to the shots they normally hit.

For Pros, the concept still applies although the situation maybe different. They usually will hit hard or occasionally, a drop shot specially on clay, to rob their opponent of time then position themselves to force their opponent to hit to a smaller target.

Just my .02 cents.