PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Camps

josh
03-14-2004, 03:28 PM
What are some good tennis camps in the Northeast?

Joe Average
03-16-2004, 07:38 PM
That depends on whether you want a junior or an adult camp. For adult camps, I can recommend the Nike camp in Amherst, Massachusetts. It's a summer camp, on the Amherst College campus. Lots of courts, both hard and Har-tru. It's not cheap, but cheaper than the resort/camp variety.

You'll be housed in a dorm. Unair-conditioned dorm. The food is pretty good, though. If you're 4.0 or above, I'd advise you choose an "advanced" week. The instructors vary from very good ... to inexperienced college player trying to earn some money over the summer. There's never more than four per court and you'll be grouped according to ability: staying with the same group throughout the session. Instruction and drills are mixed in with competition and singles/doubles play. Each camper is given a private half-hour lesson each morning. And you can be on the courts as much as six hours during the day ... more if you choose to play round robin doubles in the evening. You won't feel cheated.

rogercox
04-21-2004, 05:54 AM
There are a lot of them. Visit http://travel.tennis-warehouse.com/twtravel/Map_Northeast.cfm for an overview or http://travel.tennis-warehouse.com/twtravel/TW_Search.cfm to find exactly what you need based on your particular criteria. You'll also be able to read reviews submitted by other vacationers and in several cases (Killington School at Cortina, New England Tennis Holidays, Gunterman Tennis Schools at Stratton) get discounts, upgrades, or bonus services.

galahad
07-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Joe -

I just got back from amherst nike and it sucked.
the whole site is under construction, and we sucked diesel fumes the whole time.
All the privates were given at either 7, 7:30 or 8. which sucks if you are on vacation.

I'm a 4.0-4.5 player, I went during "advanced week", and I was the best there. There were beginners there.

The instruction was middling. I would recommend total tennis over this place. Its cheaper, quieter, and better instruction.

Joe Average
08-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Galahad --

Ouch! Sorry you had such a bad time. I actually had a better time this year than last. I did a "singles" week (not an advanced week), and there were a few players better than me (one beat a pro in an informal match). I'm a 4.0. I've never done an advanced week, but was told by someone who had that he found himself out of his element. So I assumed those weeks were crawling with advanced players.

I got some pretty good tips from my private lessons this time. It's true, they're a little early. But I didn't mind. I was usually up by 6:30 a.m. We had one rainy day, but those indoor courts at Smith College are really nice. Hitting with Reiny is always a learning experience. In any event, I'm sorry you had such a lousy time. I hope you didn't go solely upon my recommendation. But everyone there seemed to really enjoy it. Even the advanced players. I do agree about the construction. I think I "bottomed" my car over one of those speed bumps.

Who was your private instructor?

galahad
08-02-2004, 08:08 AM
My private was with Phil(Jamaican Phil). Who was fine. I'm sure he was not beaten by camper. We had a few college kids who I don't would have been much good in matches. I didn't read your review prior to going.

This one instructor couldn't really keep the ball in play during one of Reiny's exhibitions. On sunday night, when we arrived. We were taped immediately, (which was the only use of video the entire time, so the idea of saying they use "video analysis" is proposterous.)
Then it threatened rain so after dinner, Reiny gave us a lecture on where doubles players stand...DURING THE ADVANED WEEK!

Of course it never rained, and it essentially forfeited 3 hours of tennis time, just to hear him say, you stand here...

silly

Joe Average
08-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Yeah. I played doubles against Phil. He toyed with us, but we won a few games (he entertained us with stories about sitting in the Henin-Hardenne box at the US Open, and about her "near death" experience after her match with Capriati). He told me that I had the best kick serve of any camper he's ever seen. Which made me feel ten feet tall for the rest of the day. Opponents don't often pay compliments, and I'd been working on that serve for a whole year, so the compliment was really appreciated.

This was my third year at Amherst. Last year it did rain on the first day (Sunday). After being "tested," which took an hour for the whole group, and we were tested in the ice rink (horrible courts), we were rushed off because the juniors were coming in. That night we got the lecture. And I too felt cheated because ... as you put it ... there goes three hours of court time. This year Reiny dispensed with the Sunday lecture because there were so many returnees.

I think, at one time, advanced and singles weeks meant something. But most campers now aren't even aware of these distinctions. I do opt for the "singles" week because going solo any other week would be like walking stag into Noah's Ark. I can understand the frustration of being the best player at camp (the best player last year left early), but there are a few things to keep in mind if you decide to give Amherst another try. 1) during registration, you can request a particular pro for private lessons 2) if you register before May 1st, you get a modest discount (5%) 3) you can arrange, with your pro, to move your private lesson to a more convenient time. 1:15 p.m., or instance, or 4:00 p.m.

Anyway, sorry it sucked. After last year, which was horrible for me ... because I was trying to change my serve motion ... I didn't think I'd return. But I did ... and had a really good time.

galahad
08-02-2004, 03:19 PM
its ok - don't blame you.

Try Total Tennis and tell me what you think.

I think a Private a day for 2 weeks would have been better than Amherst.

inside_out
11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
notre dame had a solid tennis camp

worldtennis
07-07-2014, 06:37 AM
For juniors I have friends whose kids really like the tennis at Julian Krinsky in the Northeast, but for adults thatís a good question. Iíd also like to know that? :confused:

worldtennis
07-07-2014, 06:38 AM
I would think the UCLA Bruin tennis camp would be solid for a 14 yr old mid level player? Are you at least a tournament player? question? Does anyone know if Robert Lansdorp still coaches at all - he’s out in So Cal for top dollar I’m sure.