PDA

View Full Version : forehand takeback question

noobplayer
05-25-2007, 11:35 PM
how come so many people nowadays do a big loop b4 forehands? i'm being taught to just take my racquet back, drive the racquet through the ball then brush up. however, from my own experience, i have always used a big loop and a brush up with less of the driving part, with the driving part, i feel like i can't control the ball since im always blasting it, also are there any benefits/disadvantages to the loop versus just taking the racquet back? also i have a question about grip. for the driving forehand i use a grip between continental and eastern while my loopy brushing i try to use eastern/semiwestern? do people use both these forehands in tennis?

Bagumbawalla
05-26-2007, 07:45 AM
If there was one best way of stroking the ball, then all tennis players would look like clones out there on the courts.

Though I see no special advantage for a BIG loopy backswing, it is OK if you have time-- play on clay, for example. Players with western style grips tend to loop their backswing more than others. Players that hit with excessive spin also tend to loop the racket more and players with a more open form.

On a fast court, the BIG loopy style may need some adjusting.

If you are playing on hard courts, I would suggest a minimal loop, just to smooth out the transition between backswing and forward motion.

In most cases, simpler is better-- less unnessary motion, less to go wrong.

paulfreda
05-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Both styles work well having their advantages and disadvantages and I would suggest you continue to explore both.
You should see some commonalities as both shots can be hit with some low-high topspin as well as driving the strings to the target.
In the extreme you have pure flat and pure topspin and again both short and long bswings can produce these characteristics.
You will find your own techniques for controlling the ball while hitting with power.

Ripper
05-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I went from big takeback to short takeback to huge takeback. What I learnt is that you really need to start short. Once you have that dialed in, you can change to the bigger takeback and see the benefits, which are, basically, more pace and spin.