PDA

View Full Version : Baseball gloves, how to break in,

ibemadskillzz
09-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I have a baseball glove, how do I break them in so that it snaps quickly and easy for fielding? Is there a product to solve this problem? if so, how do i use it?
thanks

bigserving
09-24-2004, 06:35 PM
I always use a generous amount of baby oil all over the glove.

Then, fold the glove into the crease that you want, and put the glove under a mattress overnight.

Then, put two or three balls in the pocket and tie the glove up real tight with shoe laces.

Repeat the process until you are satisfied.

couch
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
bigservings got it. I think they sell a glove oil or something that is made specifically for breaking in gloves. The key is to get the right crease you want. I always hated those gloves that were creased too far over.

ibemadskillzz
09-24-2004, 07:12 PM
so the first time, I put it under matress without the ball inside?

NoBadMojo
09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
in the old days when i played ball, we would use neetsfoot (sp?) oil...multiple treatments...rub it in. that was a long time ago....i assume the ball gloves are still leather? thanks for the memory..i still remember the smell of that stuff after all these years. after treatment, just use the glove and it would crease at the right place and create the sweet pocket.

Kirko
09-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Use Rawlings Glovolium sorry abt. teh spelling it gives the right amount of oil . If you use neatsfoot you got to be extraq careful that stuff can ruin as well soften, that is making it greasy mess.

NoBadMojo
09-24-2004, 09:34 PM
we always used neatsfoot and it worked great. rub in a small amount, use the glove, rub in a small amount, use the glove, etc until it is the softness you desire and it forms a perfect pocket..it was the ritual of a new glove, but maybe the leather is cheaper these days. we didnt have glovolium back then i dont think so cant comment on that

Kirko
09-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Used Rawlings Gloveolium in 1963 for my 1st quality glove Ken Boyer Trapeze by Rawlings.

couch
09-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, it always helps to actually play with the glove too.

Kirko
09-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Most important part ; too bad lead tape won't help.

Phil
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
I always use a generous amount of baby oil all over the glove.

Then, fold the glove into the crease that you want, and put the glove under a mattress overnight.

Then, put two or three balls in the pocket and tie the glove up real tight with shoe laces.

Repeat the process until you are satisfied.

This is how I used to do it-using Rawlings Glovoleum. I used a couple of belts instead of shoe laces, but same thing.

bcaz
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I used the Rawlings glove oil, whatever it was. I used one ball in the pocket, not two or three. Finally, you have play with the thing, a lot of catch or whatever ... it's like hard leather shoes or boots ... sooner or later, you have to wear them and put up with some discomfort to break them in.

NoBadMojo
09-27-2004, 07:18 AM
like bcaz sez.....use the glove to break it in rather than sticking 2 or 3 balls in there unless you want a sloppy glove w. a sloppy pocket. best to form the pocket where you actually catch the ball IMO but to each their own.

jediknightdan
09-28-2004, 07:13 AM
brake it in the old fason way by throwing the ball

jayserinos99
09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Most important part ; too bad lead tape won't help.

muahhahahaha!! that was good!