PDA

View Full Version : improving the largest amount possible

4HAND
05-26-2007, 02:28 AM
eyo all
iv been playing tennis for a very long time now and play in national tournaments regurarly.
my coach has asked me to write down a program for how i think i can improve the most
this will include several private lessons a week, match practice, weight sessions, sprints and all that
iv been doin that all but its going to b at a new intensity from next term..
i need ideas on thing i should include in my program.. should i b having mental sessions?? or stretching sessions?? nything u have in mind please tell it to me as id like to have as many ideas as possible
i really want to go far in tennis so i need to start this now as im 15 years old
thanks evry1

Solat
05-27-2007, 07:16 AM
in my humble opinion....

don't do more hours in lessons then in practice : basically you need to groove what you are learning more then learning 50 things, its about fundamentals, fundamental #1 is hit the ball in the court. The more you hit the better you get (basically), you cannot concentrate on 7 different aspects of each shot all the time, it will frustrate you and more importantly you can lose the reason you play the game.

Deliberately have a variety of hitting plans:
open matchplay
closed matchplay
open drills
closed drills
sustains interest and allows practice of skills in a variety of scenarios.

agility is the main fitness you require in tennis, footwork patterns & sprints, endurance is not as important, mainly of importance to allow for longer training sessions rather then improved matchplay.

mental session wont be necessary unless you are attaining a high level or you have a particular mental weakness (choking, nervousness, overexcitement), the main mental aspect you require is determination and that can't be taught.

zapvor
05-27-2007, 08:06 PM
do you have a ranking?