PDA

View Full Version : I don't toss the ball high enough on my serve- Can you help?

poncho
05-26-2007, 09:04 AM
My service toss is too low. Can you give me some advice on how to correct this problem? Is there some method to help me toss the ball higher?

sinneTennis
05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah.

You just throw it higher. o_O

croatian sensation
05-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Mine too..and then it goes into the net.
But I don't see any solution other than focusing on tossing the ball higher.
It works, but then I mess up the service motion. I'm a lost case :)

Bodacious DVT
05-26-2007, 10:54 AM
go to the back fence/curtain and go through your service motion. at the point of contact, you want the racket to be holding the ball against the fence. you should be fully extended throughout your body.

repeat this until you are extending correctly by tossing the ball higher.

andymac1
05-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Throw it higher...

dunloplayah
05-26-2007, 12:24 PM
worked on this with my pro today. By tossing higher and reaching higher, I was able to get more time to set up my arm, keep my wrist loose and then add power to the hit, making a nice angle over the net and in the service box almost every time! It works! just be consistent with your toss, try not to spin it to much when it leaves your hand. Good luck, it works!

LarougeNY
05-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Throw it higher. Build up a routine, not like nadal's or maria sharapova's since they're annoyingly long, and toss up the ball higher and practice the routine. Then it should be like a reflex instead of something you think about.

10s talk
05-26-2007, 03:59 PM
just let go of the ball when you tossing arm is fully extended (vertical)

FiveO
05-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Not quite as simple as just "toss the ball higher".

While that's the obvious "fix", the ball still needs to get to the optimal contact point and with the longer ball flight you'll also need to slow the racquet arm reaching the power or trophy position. If you don't slow it prior to that checkpoint, you'll be forced to stop and/or lose speed going from there to contact.

Good luck,

zapvor
05-26-2007, 07:04 PM
go to the back fence/curtain and go through your service motion. at the point of contact, you want the racket to be holding the ball against the fence. you should be fully extended throughout your body.

this sounds like good advice. i should go try this. thank you.

damasta55
05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
look at the ball and reach. perhaps bend your knees. you don't need to toss the ball 10ft high if you're 5 ft tall , lol.

Jyles
05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
hmm, throw it high, watch where the ball is, and hit it. practice like the other guy said on a fence :! thats what i did until i got the contact of hitting the ball correctly.

zapvor
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM

hey i tried this out today, and it seemed to work until i pulled a muscle, so thanks a lot for this tip!

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 07:19 PM
hey i tried this out today, and it seemed to work until i pulled a muscle, so thanks a lot for this tip!

lol. i forgot to mention that stretching before you play helps.

zapvor
05-27-2007, 07:21 PM
lol. i forgot to mention that stretching before you play helps.

lol yea. now i am taking back my thanks!

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
lol yea. now i am taking back my thanks!

sorry, thought it was common knowledge:(

zapvor
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
you better be sorry. haha