PDA

View Full Version : How to aggressively return a slice serve

volker
05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Any advice how to put your opponent under pressure when returning his/her slice serve? I am glad if I get below the ball early enough to lift it somehow over the net but I cannot go for power or placement :sad:

chrisak47
05-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Any advice how to put your opponent under pressure when returning his/her slice serve? I am glad if I get below the ball early enough to lift it somehow over the net but I cannot go for power or placement :sad:

Well, I personally prefer on a slice serve to really watch it and if you want to take it early, just make sure you get it in play and start the rally from there.

If you want a booming return, let the slice bounce fully and then take a big swing at it. I wouldn't really aggressively attack it if it has crazy slice on it.

You can always just chip it back or...Since slice serves are relatively slow, move it, chip it or treat it as an approach and take the net!

Slazenger
05-26-2007, 09:25 PM
The earlier you read the slice the better.

You want to move diagonally (sideways and forward) to cut the angle of the slice off and hit your return. This is why it is important to read the slice as early as possible.

Keep your eye on the ball for as long as possible. A good slice will continue it's sidespin after the bounce and taking your eyes off is asking for a shank.

I would be aggressive with the placement and either go up the line or sharp angled cross court for the return.

I personally go sharp cross court when my opponent gives me a slice serve that didn't go as wide as they wanted it to. I hit a reverse forehand for extra angle cross court.

Solat
05-27-2007, 06:07 AM
if a person only has a slice option then just move over to cover it, even if they serve the middle then it will curve toward you so no damage done

FiveO
05-27-2007, 07:05 AM
The earlier you read the slice the better.

You want to move diagonally (sideways and forward) to cut the angle of the slice off and hit your return. This is why it is important to read the slice as early as possible.

Keep your eye on the ball for as long as possible. A good slice will continue it's sidespin after the bounce and taking your eyes off is asking for a shank.

I would be aggressive with the placement and either go up the line or sharp angled cross court for the return.

I personally go sharp cross court when my opponent gives me a slice serve that didn't go as wide as they wanted it to. I hit a reverse forehand for extra angle cross court.

Good advice.

Also be mindful to take the diagonal path to the ball with your feet. If at all possible avoid the tendency to reach and lunge unless truly forced to.