PDA

View Full Version : Leaning back on backhands

Omisoshiru
05-26-2007, 07:53 PM
When I hit my backhand (one hand) people always tell me to lean in more or that i am leaning back too much. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on leaning more into the backhand.

p.s. sorry I couldn't upload a video (I'm sure that would make advise easier) but advise is always helpful!

Kevo
05-26-2007, 08:19 PM
It does help if you are shifting your weight forward when you hit. Many people tend to hit off the back foot, and that takes away a lot of power. Watch some video of Federer some time and notice how he steps from back foot to front foot as he hits the shot.

hoons
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Try to get your right foot (if your a righty) stepping towards the incoming ball. If you watch fed on a short ball, he plants that foot right out there and unloads. Shifting your foot forwards automatically get you leaning in

FiveO
05-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Leaning back or moving back during the forward swing off the ground is generally a symptom of being "late" at contact. That can be a product of simply starting the forward portion of the swing too late but usually is caused prior to that with a later than optimal take back.

Over-compensation, thinking of contacting the ball "too early" often helps.

In reality you probably need to move your intended contact point less than six inches further forward, toward the net (not out to the side).

A timing mechanism which also may be helpful is to think of your forward (again toward the net) "plant" step striking the court, while maintaining good balance, as the ball bounces on your side of the court. On the vast majority of balls this simple timing cue will encourage you to stay on the front foot while affording you more than enough time to contact the ball that increased distance out in front.

Good luck,

Bagumbawalla
05-27-2007, 12:18 PM
If you are right-handed, balance yourself on your right leg with the knee shightly bent. Swoosh your racket through the air with your best backahnd form. Notice how your hips turn to compensate for the changes in momentum/weight. Notice how you feel at the completion of the stroke- balanced, but on the verge of tipping forward.

This is how your backhand should feel on the court if you play one-handed.

If you have a two-handed backhand the effect is a bit muddled but similar.

Bodacious DVT
05-27-2007, 12:55 PM
make sure that you keep your shoulders level. i have a tendency to dip my front shoulder on my BH, and the ball often goes into the net. dipping your rear shoulder will pop the ball up.

fgs
05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
try to hit a basket the following way: step up on the right foot, knee slightly bent, and while completing your stroke lift the left foot in the air. you have to balance your weight on the right foot, so that you simply cannot lean back and load the left foot. this should ONLY be an exercise to get you used to load the front foot, not a backhand form to go after. every time you feel that your timing is getting off and you start hitting late, do such a basket. it only works when your point of impact is correctly at some 30cm in front of your right knee.

Vision84
05-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes hitting backhands on one leg is a great drill to counter this problem. I had trouble with my balance on my backhand and my coach got me to do this and it helped a lot.