PDA

View Full Version : The "ZONE": forget about rackets, strings, tensions etc.

asintu
05-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm sure most of you experienced "the zone" when you were out on the court sometime. What I mean is that feeling that everything is going well, confidence in your shots, 100% focus and that kind of stuff.
My take on it is that when you're in "the zone", the type of racket, string, string tension, lead tape, grips etc. matter so little it's unbelievable.

The idea is this: I was thinking of concentrating more on the factors that allow you to get into the zone than on the others mentioned above.

So could you share your experiences of the so called "zone" and how you achieved it (in case you can trace back what caused it).

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm sure most of you experienced "the zone" when you were out on the court sometime. What I mean is that feeling that everything is going well, confidence in your shots, 100% focus and that kind of stuff.
My take on it is that when you're in "the zone", the type of racket, string, string tension, lead tape, grips etc. matter so little it's unbelievable.

The idea is this: I was thinking of concentrating more on the factors that allow you to get into the zone than on the others mentioned above.

So could you share your experiences of the so called "zone" and how you achieved it (in case you can trace back what caused it).

I find it hard to get into the "zone" without having MY raquet, strings, tension, no lead tape, and wilson pro overgrip kthxbye.

boojay
05-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I find it hard to get into the "zone" without having MY raquet, strings, tension, no lead tape, and wilson pro overgrip kthxbye.

if you build it, they will come

lethalfang
05-27-2007, 01:39 AM

Try to switch to a totally different racquet when you are in the zone, and you'll see how quickly you are chased out of the zone.

Teh_pwnerer
05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
omg jsut answer his question lol

zapvor
05-27-2007, 07:04 PM
if you build it, they will come

thats so 90's. its not like that anymore.

EliteNinja
05-27-2007, 07:07 PM
They should just make a racquet called "The Zone":p

EliteNinja
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Then the advertising for it would be like:
"You haven't really experienced tennis until you've been in 'The Zone'"

and some random tennis player would be like:
"I'm always in the zone when I use 'The Zone'!"

"Go Zone or go home!"

iplaybetter
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
my semi coach and neighbor has a 3-6 zone system for winner and defense angles, hight above the net, depth of court

thejackal
05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
think of your racket as your hand, an extension of your arm rather than a tool.

ShooterMcMarco
05-27-2007, 07:52 PM
For me, getting in the zone is about relaxation and focus. The I way I got into it was by focusing (not just watching) the ball and not worrying about how I stroke the ball. Like Tim Gallwey says, just let it happen. The moment you try to get into the zone, you'll start to breakdown. Use relaxation techniques like deep belly breathing, visualization and taking time between points. Don't rush yourself, just work at a pace that is most comfortable to you.

Chauvalito
05-27-2007, 07:54 PM
A very good psychologist from the University of Chicago has written extensively on this subject.

His name is impossible to pronounce...but his term for the zone is being in "Flow".

zzzbrianxxx
05-27-2007, 08:39 PM
.................................................. .......................

In response to the person who started the thread:

I found that if I can hit with somebody who is extremely consistent yet hits with decent pace, I can sometimes find myself in the zone. If the other guy is so good that he can get the ball in my strike zone every single time it'll not only help you play well that day, but it will also improve your game overall.

When you play against somebody like that, you need to start off hitting well within yourself, hitting every ball with the utmost control and placement and then slowly start to hit out on the ball, going for more and more as the hitting session goes on.

zapvor
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
i agree with this. i am much more in the zone when i am playing someone better than me even though i am losing. sucky players just mess up my zone so bad

asintu
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
A very good psychologist from the University of Chicago has written extensively on this subject.

His name is impossible to pronounce...but his term for the zone is being in "Flow".

do you have a link, book, article?

asintu
05-27-2007, 09:19 PM
.................................................. .......................

In response to the person who started the thread:

I found that if I can hit with somebody who is extremely consistent yet hits with decent pace, I can sometimes find myself in the zone. If the other guy is so good that he can get the ball in my strike zone every single time it'll not only help you play well that day, but it will also improve your game overall.

When you play against somebody like that, you need to start off hitting well within yourself, hitting every ball with the utmost control and placement and then slowly start to hit out on the ball, going for more and more as the hitting session goes on.

hmmm interesting, come to think about it almost every time I was in the zone it was when I was playing the type of player you described..so that's gotta be 1 of the big factors. thanx.

Dink
05-27-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.surfersvillage.com/img/st/cocaine2.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8744/meterbd4.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3599/crazyyc7.png

Silent
05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
To me, by definition, trying to get in the zone or the stay in it will get you out of it or make it impossible for you to get in it.

Free your mind, focus, and you'll get there, and once you tell yourself that you're in the zone, you're already out of it.

lethalfang
05-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Not necessarily.
For most players, when you know you are in the zone, you become extremely confident, thus you stay in the zone. In fact, I would feel so good on a certain day that, I don't want the day to end. On such day, I will take riskier harder shots because I just know they will stay in court, because I'm in a friggin' zone!

ShooterMcMarco
05-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Free your mind, focus, and you'll get there, and once you tell yourself that you're in the zone, you're already out of it.

Morpheus? Is that you?

Thud and blunder
05-28-2007, 12:13 AM
do you have a link, book, article?

His name (unpronouncable indeed) is Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
Google Csikszentmihalyi flow, or wikipedia flow (psychology)

Phil
05-28-2007, 01:00 AM
I found myself in the Zone on Saturday...for about two games. Really, I was just GROOVIN' winners and aces. Two games is what, about five minutes? That's pretty much my zone max.

boojay
05-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I played basketball all my life so I know what being in the zone is like.

However, in tennis, I've experienced two zone-like episodes thus far. The first is one I would think more people are familiar with, where you play relaxed and have total control over your body and know exactly how to move as though you've been doing this your entire life and everything is just clicking.

The second was a bit diff because I all of a sudden had an adrenaline surge and was almost playing out of anger; I began pouncing on everything, first serve, winner attempts, swinging volleys, etc. Literally every single shot I went for, I was trying for a winner, and about 90% of them went in and most of them WERE winners. It was intense! Unfortunately, it only lasted for about a set and a half, but it was so cool.

That said, I would much rather have the "relaxed" zone experience because it lasts much longer, poses less risk for injury, and is more consistent.

lethalfang
05-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Exactly. When you are in a zone, you definitely know it consciously.
Kobe Bryant, when he's in a zone, will display it by sticking out his index finger and thumb as if it's a pistol, and then blow it as if his gun is smoking. A pretty creative and cool gesture on the court.

A.Davidson
05-28-2007, 11:18 AM
For me, I've always felt it's about getting a "Zone Spark". On a bad day, one awesome winner or killer serve can immediately put me in "the Zone", or render me "unbeatable" for a time. I think it's more about mentally realizing that you have the tools to accomplish the means than anything else.

Purostaff
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
It happens from time to time for me just when I'm about out of gas =/

textbook strokes
05-28-2007, 01:03 PM
For me its related to footwork more than anything. You start to feel like if every ball just comes exactly to your confor zone, but in reality, it is you moving the right way.

skiracer55
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.surfersvillage.com/img/st/cocaine2.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8744/meterbd4.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3599/crazyyc7.png

...this is definitely my favorite TW post of all time...TW, you owe this guy a free racket, at least...

Taxvictim
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
My wife read "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (pronounced Mih-high-ee Chick-sent-mih-high-ee) and she raved about it. Went on and on about how American writers are worthless and that guy's a genius. So I guess +1 (from my wife) to that idea.

Defcon
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
There is no racket.

(or strings, or tape....)

Dink
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
...this is definitely my favorite TW post of all time...

I thank you.

zapvor
05-29-2007, 04:39 PM
that post is pretty funny.

OrangeOne
05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Asintu, while people have been mocking your post, personally, I think it's one worthy of a lot of thought.

I'm to unfocused to write what I want to write now, but i'll think on it and come back to the thread later today or tomorrow and write it then. I think it will centre on Patterns / Repeated behaviour, and sports-psych....

A.Davidson
05-29-2007, 04:43 PM
There is no racket.

(or strings, or tape....)

Don't try to swing the racket - just accept the fact. There is no racket. Ha ha ha.

skiracer55
05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
I thank you.

...I'm a Funny Guy, but your post was Pure Genius...here, for some of my stuff, go to this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134424

Dink
05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Asintu, while people have been mocking your post, personally, I think it's one worthy of a lot of thought.

Sorry, Asintu, I just couldn't resist!

Seriously though, I think what zzzbrianxxx said is completely true.

rounick
05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Being in the zone is one thing.

Getting there is another..

I used to to play in the zone all the time when I was a young teen.

Then something happened..

I discovered women.

It's been a struggle from then on.I blame women for that.That and every other bad thing in my life.

But I still love them.

What a mess...

FD3S
05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Being in the zone is one thing.

Getting there is another..

I used to to play in the zone all the time when I was a young teen.

Then something happened..

I discovered women.

It's been a struggle from then on.I blame women for that.That and every other bad thing in my life.

But I still love them.

What a mess...

And I must say Mr. Safin, I'm a huge fan of yours in spite of all that.