PDA

View Full Version : Just had intense lesson on fh volley only...

lovin'it
05-27-2007, 08:40 AM
...my toughest shot to do in the correct form, fine with bad form. I wrote the tips down as I left the lesson and am determined to get that correct form. Can you add anything that has helped you, for some reason, I look at the videos, but words seem to be easier for me to hold on to.

- continental grip
- left foot DOWN (step) at point of contact, and out front

lovin'it
05-27-2007, 08:48 AM
(somehow I hit post and I am not done!!)

- lead with bottom edge, butt of racquet ahead of face
- square up wrist to forearm
- firm grip
- if topedge of racquet 'falls over' the bottom edge, check to make sure your wrist is square to the forearm
- watch ball hit racquet
- don't swing, the push, and step into the ball with the left foot are the acceleration needed

anything else that helps you please let me know. oh yea, he had me stand at the net facing the sideline and he feed balls to me from the netpost that I hit with my racquet on the net and pushing forward to help me get the feel of a straight push to the ball. Any 'mental' picture that helps you with this proper form???

Jlocke
05-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Maintain your posture. You want to get your butt down and follow the ball with your chest. If you bend at the waist it changes the angle of the racquet as compared to your arm and body and thus, the ball will go into the net.

FiveO
05-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Quick 45 degree turn of the shoulders.

Very quiet hands prior to and after contact. Swing thought of "catching" the ball with the racquet face.

Volley with your feet and legs as opposed to a "swing".

Maintain the on edge angle between racquet shaft and forearm throughout. Whether hitting the ball at eye level or above when the racquet face will be way above the hand or when volleying from shoe-top level when the racquet face could be below your hand the angle between shaft and forearm should NOT vary.

Tennismastery
05-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Remember this simple phrase:

"Set and Hold"

The meaning: to set the racquet as you recognized in your post then hold your finish after contact. Check your racquet that you have "Kept the plane the same" through the shot and that your racquet angle is holding to the target.

While many will advocate a 'flat' volley, I recommend hitting with a slight underspin. There will may advantages:

With underspin, your racquet tends to have less variation at contact. A flat volley can result in the player hitting over the ball or under the ball depending on any fluxuation in the wrist. Underspin creates your own spin on the ball where a flat volley tends to be dominated by the spin the opponent's shot has. In fact, underspin shots coming to a flat racquet will angle much more downward at contact because of this underspin.

Since most balls you will volley will have a downward arch to them, the reflective angle of any volley of a flat racquet face will be downward as the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence...not even counting spin, gravity and the tendency for players to hit down on high balls. (This is why so many players bury high volleys close to the net into the bottom of the net!)

While the step is part of the conventional footwork patterns, as players begin to master the volley, the upper body turn (unit turn) is usually plenty for a good volley. However, I do recommend the step as this will help prevent over rotation through the volley.

Good luck!

Sakumo
05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Who the hell is teaching you to volley? HS jv coach? Step out with the out foot (the one the ball is going toward) Then step with the other foot forward toward the ball, then follow through with the ball side foot again.

Cindysphinx
05-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Re-set immediately.

I tend not to do this. I'm good for one volley, then I'm done!

zapvor
05-27-2007, 07:56 PM

- continental grip
- left foot DOWN (step) at point of contact, and out front

(somehow I hit post and I am not done!!)

- lead with bottom edge, butt of racquet ahead of face
- square up wrist to forearm
- firm grip
- if topedge of racquet 'falls over' the bottom edge, check to make sure your wrist is square to the forearm
- watch ball hit racquet
- don't swing, the push, and step into the ball with the left foot are the acceleration needed

anything else that helps you please let me know. oh yea, he had me stand at the net facing the sideline and he feed balls to me from the netpost that I hit with my racquet on the net and pushing forward to help me get the feel of a straight push to the ball. Any 'mental' picture that helps you with this proper form???

too much. just watch a good perosn volley and see what he does then imitate. you dont have time to go through this checklist when the ball is whizzing past you.

fuzz nation
05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
The idea of "don't swing, just push" may be draining some of the pop out of your shot by making you try to just arm the ball. Dave's image of turning your upper body through the shot is a good one - everything remains in the same sort of 'solid' or 'connected' position without releasing the racquet through the ball as you would with a groundstroke.

You can think of that volley as an abbreviated backspin stroke, but it is only powered by the arc that is generated by that turn - hit the "stroke" with only your core instead of your arm and your core. Your legs will become more active as you turn more deliberately through the ball.

solidtennis
05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
my coaches always told me with volleys use a short punching motion, accelerate fast, brake fast, finishing with the racquet faceing the target.