PDA

View Full Version : Who else uses Gosen OG Micro 17?

@wright
03-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I love this string, really. It plays almost as well as the multis I have tried, and lasts REALLY long, without losing much playability. It frays as it wears, allowing the string to play well as it wears. This string has great feel, is CHEAP, and IMO beats the pants off Prince SG.

Shaolin
03-14-2004, 05:47 PM
I use Gosen polylon ice 17 in my mains (NXT 17 in crosses) and love it--super cheap too.

mgm
03-14-2004, 06:02 PM
I use Gosen og mirco in 18 ga. main and Hammertec cross powerful combination.

bcaz
03-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I've hybrided the OG Sheep Micro Super 17 as a cross with gut mains and I really like it. I have some of the regular (not super) that I haven't tried yet. Anyone know the difference?

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I go Polylon 17 mains at 65, micro 17 crosses at 63. Love this stuff baby, and it feels great. The crosses fray and break after awhile, but it feels great and I string it myself, so it doesn't bother me. If I used it as a full job, I would break it in a week or a little more, which wouldn't work with me.

And bcaz, I've heard there is no difference, just the micro doesn't have the name on the string. Plus, the micro is like a whitish crystal color, where as the sheep micro is more of a natural color like polylon.

Craig Sheppard
03-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Alan, what's the difference between OG Sheep Micro Super 17 and OG Sheep Micro 17 Natural? The first is about $1 more than the second... I assume you're referring to the latter?

-Craig.

@wright
03-15-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure what the differences are, Craig. I use the Natural 17, I think(my strings are more natural colored than white).

Larry Baldridge
03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
I've strung up The OG Sheep Micro 17 in natural gut hybrid jobs. Natural gut in the mains and the OG Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses. Nice feel, great durability. Stiffens up the string bed from an all natural gut string job to tone down the power.

WYK
03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
I like stringing with Gosen OG sheep at low tensions. Great spin and durability, with feel unmatched at this price point.

WYK

BreakPoint
03-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g and love it, good playability, good tension maintenance, and pretty long lasting. I haven't really seen any fraying in the 16g like you guys that are using the 17g, and I've been using these strings over the past year. I wonder why?

Hawaii 5.0
03-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Gosen is the most underrated string company out, but people love OG Micro for hyrbid's with gut,multi's and poly so it might be the best string out in many ways.

BreakPoint
03-16-2004, 10:24 PM
I agree that Gosen is the most underrated string company out there, just as I believe Gamma is the most overrated string company out there. I've never liked any Gamma string I've ever tried from the low end to the high end.

Craig Sheppard
03-17-2004, 11:09 AM
BreakPoint, I'd tend to agree with you on the Gamma comment. I've used both their TNT2 17 and LiveWire XP 16, and I feel you can get equal playability elsewhere for less money. I'm going to try some Gosen OG Micro JC 17 on my next job and maybe some of the other OG Micros, and already love Alpha Gut 2000 to replace LiveWire XP. At less than half the cost in some cases, the Gosen and Alpha options are no-brainers.

-Craig.

@wright
03-17-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm surprised so many people are just using it in hybrids, this is a great playing string and works well on its own. I string at 57 FYI.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
I think a lot of guys use it in hybrids (like myself) because first off it's insanely cheap. Many use it with Poly's to soften up the job and still have durability. Also, using it with Gut gives the gut more durability, tones down the power a little, and won't tear the gut apart. And when you use it by itself, it is alright, but most people want more than just an all syn-gut job. They want the excellent feel of gut, or the durability of poly, which this provides neither of.

@wright
03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I haven't tried poly, but I've tried gut and NRG2, and other crappy playing durable strings. For me, the Gosen 17 is a great compromise because the elasticity is closer to NRG2 and other high end multis, while the durability isn't even much worse than many of the tournament nylon strings I've tried.