PDA

View Full Version : Shenay Perry to Wilson

little_e
05-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Shenay Perry has switched to the K-factor so how long before Volkl has no touring pros using there stuff?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/matt_d32/74347246.jpg

BreakPoint
05-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Shenay Perry has switched to the K-factor so how long before Volkl has no touring pros using there stuff?

Very soon since very soon there will be no more Volkl as a brand, as it's becoming "Boris Becker Tennis".

NoBadMojo
05-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Very soon since very soon there will be no more Volkl as a brand, as it's becoming "Boris Becker Tennis".

i highly suggest that uninformed posts like the one i am quoting be ignored.

insiderman
05-28-2007, 10:52 AM
seems Mattek has changed to wison as well...that leaves no WTA players in the top #100 with the brand...thinking back, and only some 18-months or so ago, they had: Golovin / Stosur / Czink / Perry / Mattek - all in or "right-there" top #100 - now, looks like the only WTA player they have left is the young phenom Ciboulokava (sp?) who is in her own right, a darn good player!

Time will tell...

LarougeNY
05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Frank Dancevic still uses the c10 I think, or at least he did in that tournament (kinda recent) where he lost to zabeleta in bremuda in the finall.

Bogie
05-28-2007, 11:59 AM
dancevic, stepanek, damm, novak, ricardas berankis(#11 junior in the world who uses a dnx 8)

vsbabolat
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM

BreakPoint, from what I have been told that is what's happening.

vsbabolat
05-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Novak retired.

couch
05-28-2007, 01:10 PM
BreakPoint, from what I have been told that is what's happening.

Who told you that? I'd be interested to know since I've used a Volkl for years.

Richie Rich
05-28-2007, 01:19 PM
dancevic, stepanek, damm, novak, ricardas berankis(#11 junior in the world who uses a dnx 8)

last time i saw (couple weeks ago), dancevic was using c10 but didn't have the volkl stencil on his strings.

nickb
05-28-2007, 02:03 PM

But you can see from their websites and from many posts on these boards that it is prob true. You dont have to be a genius to see that Becker is taking over everything..

vsbabolat
05-28-2007, 02:39 PM

I am not at liberty to say.

BreakPoint
05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Take a look at these two websites:

http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=80

http://www.borisbecker.com/de/company/boris-becker-sports/

Note that all the addresses, phone numbers, names of employees, lines of businesses, etc. are all the same.

J-man
05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
dancevic, stepanek, damm, novak, ricardas berankis(#11 junior in the world who uses a dnx 8)Also to add on the womens side teh #3 ranked ITF player uses Volkl

hoosierbr
05-28-2007, 04:25 PM
As it's been said many times Volkl simply doesn't have the $$$ to lure big name players or keep those who are getting nice offers from other companies. It's not a reflection on the quality of their racquets. In fact, two of the best racquet manufacturers are Volkl and Fischer in terms of quality made frames but neither one can compete with Wilson, Head, Prince, Babolat.

TxMed83
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm just curioius about all the talk about Volkl and Boris Becker tennis if this would mean that production of the Volkl frames would completely stop. Does anyone know what type of change might be coming, is it a complete elimination of the Volkl brand and those products, or a change in the name to Boris Becker tennis while still producing some of the Volkl frames?

NoBadMojo
05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
As it's been said many times Volkl simply doesn't have the $$$ to lure big name players or keep those who are getting nice offers from other companies. It's not a reflection on the quality of their racquets. In fact, two of the best racquet manufacturers are Volkl and Fischer in terms of quality made frames but neither one can compete with Wilson, Head, Prince, Babolat.

true that Randy. I agree that Fischer and Volkl are head and shoulders above the others as far as quality and tolerances..people who know tennis all know this. Volkl is very highly regarded as an engineering/quality driven company rather than a marketing driven company and Becker is notorious for being cheap with buying pros. Fischer is highly regarded for tight tolerances and high quality comfortable frames.

it's not surprsing at all that once a player gains some popularity from climbing in the ranks, they get picked off by the Companies with deep pockets who sell racquets by buying lots of pros and doing lots of advertising rather than putting their money into the products..the money to buy players and advertise comes from somewhere eh? I think the so called federer racquet costs 10bucks more than the other W frames....10bucks a frame from the consumer into feds pocket per racquet aint bad eh? looks like wilson built the cost of buying Fed right into the price of the racquet. Kevin Kim was using old T10Gen1's with not even a paintjob so he likely wasnt even getting paid to play Volkl..this could be true of several others..everyone seems to think that all of the pros get paid lots to play..lots of them just get free racquets from companies and then have to spend a lot to ship them off to a Bosworth to have them all matched...Volkl can do this stuff in house, and has a Dtr of Player Services who is really good at that stuff

The reality is there are really very few pros who sell a lot of racquets for a company.....i dont think many people were rushing out to buy a Volkl because of Shannay Perry (sp?), so i sure dont view this as some sort of meaningful loss..... people also dont seem to understand that contracts involve at least two parties and sometimes the Company elects to not renew or continue a contract like Prince did w. Blake or that a player may get a little success and then demand more money than a Company wishes to pay to buy the player

People are just wildly speculating around here with zero facts to support their wild accusations..it's typical of this place..very little good info in here these days..

Volkl is a niche company in a relatively very small Industry..why that is so hard for people to understand escapes me. These days anything is possible, but it would be very surprising if Volkl would abandon a highly respected name within the Industry that has been around since the 70's.

hoosierbr
05-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Quite true, Ed. It's quite rare that a player outside the Top 50, perhaps even Top 30, gets money to play a certain racquet or wear certain apparel. More free equipment than anything for most pros. Of course free equipment and strings ain't so bad either!

ollinger
05-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, everything about why they switched is speculative. They may have decided they play better tennis with the Wilson sticks, and since the money was there.....

bad_call
05-28-2007, 06:57 PM
...Volkl is a niche company in a relatively very small Industry..why that is so hard for people to understand escapes me. These days anything is possible, but it would be very surprising if Volkl would abandon a highly respected name within the Industry that has been around since the 70's.

i'm down with the smaller companies. for example, my surfboards are made to order from a small independent. design, quality, function and value are what i look for. not if so and so is using the same equipment. pros change sponsors for the $$$. if i was in their shoes, i might do the same.

if volkl continues making quality sports equipment that work for me then i'm a patron for life.

btw - i smile everytime i "edge" out another player using wilson, head, or other big name mfg racquet...so i smile a lot.

couch
05-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Take a look at these two websites:

http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=80

http://www.borisbecker.com/de/company/boris-becker-sports/

Note that all the addresses, phone numbers, names of employees, lines of businesses, etc. are all the same.

Hey BP. Not sure I understand why this would mean Volkl is going away and will become the Boris Becker brand? Maybe Becker is just launching a new racquet line and using the Volkl resources he already owns part of to service his brand as well.

I'm not sure what's going on but I know that if Becker's name starts getting plastered all over the place (instead of Volkl) then that's a real turn-off for me. Not sure about Boris' appeal outside of the U.S., maybe it's a lot greater than we know/think and the Becker brand will sell really well outside of the U.S. Not sure the Becker name will sell a lot of racquets in the U.S. though.

If Volkl and Boris Becker operate somewhat independently but share resources then that's cool with me and makes business sense if you ask me. I just hope this is the case. I guess only time will tell. One thing I do know though, this sure is getting a lot of people talking about Volkl (at least on TW :)) whether it's positive or negative, people are talkin'.

BreakPoint
05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey BP. Not sure I understand why this would mean Volkl is going away and will become the Boris Becker brand? Maybe Becker is just launching a new racquet line and using the Volkl resources he already owns part of to service his brand as well.

I'm not sure what's going on but I know that if Becker's name starts getting plastered all over the place (instead of Volkl) then that's a real turn-off for me. Not sure about Boris' appeal outside of the U.S., maybe it's a lot greater than we know/think and the Becker brand will sell really well outside of the U.S. Not sure the Becker name will sell a lot of racquets in the U.S. though.

If Volkl and Boris Becker operate somewhat independently but share resources then that's cool with me and makes business sense if you ask me. I just hope this is the case. I guess only time will tell. One thing I do know though, this sure is getting a lot of people talking about Volkl (at least on TW :)) whether it's positive or negative, people are talkin'.
From all appearances, it would seem that Volkl Tennis is being renamed Boris Becker Tennis, probably to also further disassociate it from Volkl Ski, in addition to Becker exerting more influence. I doubt Volkl and Boris Becker Tennis would want to operate independenty as wouldn't they just end up competing with themselves? Also, they would end up doubling their marketing expenses since they would have to promote two different brand names. Not a very wise business decision. I don't think even Boris Becker would be that stupid. ;)

BTW, note that there's no mention of Volkl whatsoever on the Boris Becker Tennis website?

NoBadMojo
05-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey BP. Not sure I understand why this would mean Volkl is going away and will become the Boris Becker brand? .

evening couch,
notice how he didnt adress this in his reply. the websites dont support his claim at all..in fact they indicate he is wrong.

as reported and confirmed MANY times the Company is now known as Volkl / Boris Becker Tennis.

to be fair and not twist things out of perspective the root of what he posted is --> http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php (http://www.voelkl-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php) just as i;ve been saying Volkl / Boris Becker Tennis..you can click on Volkl or you can click on Boris Becker..no mystery there and really not difficult at all for most to understand and what has been clarified on this forum for months now. Volkl / Boris becker Tennis

as far as the borisbecker.com, the webpage he posted said that this company has been in existence since 1985 and this website indicates that Boris has a co owner even in the Becker division so he doesnt even completely control over that part of the operation. Also the website is in German only...lol. hardly has anything to do with the US and it appears they have a whole line of racquets and bags and such which are avalable in a select few countries which dont include the US. additionally, there has been a BorisBecker line available in the States for the last year anyway which included racquets and bags

This is pretty identical to what happened when Volkl anounced it was changing Distributors. the same people came forth making up stuff...all of which was very wrong....it's pretty sad the extent that people go to to pass along really bad information..to what end? it's tres silly and insulting to peoples' intelligence

Hope you're swinging those Tour8's well and in good health

NoBadMojo
05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
i'm down with the smaller companies. for example, my surfboards are made to order from a small independent. design, quality, function and value are what i look for. not if so and so is using the same equipment. pros change sponsors for the $$$. if i was in their shoes, i might do the same.

if volkl continues making quality sports equipment that work for me then i'm a patron for life.

btw - i smile everytime i "edge" out another player using wilson, head, or other big name mfg racquet...so i smile a lot.

ya man..you sound like a smart consumer who doesnt have an ego as big as your long board :) i dont know surfing, but i bet, just like tennis, there are surfers who insist on surfing with what they think the pros use but who cant surf worth a lick aye?

Volkl users just usually go about their business of enjoying their racquets and their tennis and dont have to import their racquets from Asia and dont really ever seem to have to deal with specs that are all over the place and then complain how bad the quality control is :) or what a certain player really plays with....or really have concerns about their arm hurting and such..things are really much easier and better that way i think

I understand that like tennis and the 'graphite shortage', there is a material shortage in surfboard material?

BreakPoint
05-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Volkl users just usually go about their business of enjoying their racquets and their tennis and dont have to import their racquets from Asia ......
Hmmm...the last time I checked, China was in Asia and all Volkl racquets are imported from China.

NoBadMojo
05-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmmm...the last time I checked, China was in Asia and all Volkl racquets are imported from China.

lol..thats all you got. i think all the other people knew what i was talking about. frames only marketed in Asia..as you know since you are selling asian k90's on the forum..<i think you call them ak90's or sw2 or something>, Asian k90's are not sold in the US in any sort of formal way..people in this forum seem to want them because they cant handle the regular k90 after all the bragging and fuss, so they are importing them from Asia ..sorry to not be more clear and no doubt you wil try and pick that apart too. i'm not interested in trying to have a discussion with you please, but you cant expect to post really bad info and not be called on it...so i would like to say bye now and ask that you not engage me in further conversations thanks

bad_call
05-29-2007, 06:43 AM
...I understand that like tennis and the 'graphite shortage', there is a material shortage in surfboard material?

at this time i don't know of a material shortage for the surfboard industry in these neck of the woods. however prices have risen as a result of increased petroleum costs...

moist
05-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I doubt Volkl and Boris Becker Tennis would want to operate independenty as wouldn't they just end up competing with themselves? Also, they would end up doubling their marketing expenses since they would have to promote two different brand names. Not a very wise business decision.

They're not going to operate independently, and this happens all the time in many markets. Walk down an isle in your grocery store, and most of the products are probably owned by Kraft or Nestle. It's not competing against yourself, since the revenue ends up in the same pockets. The line of thinking is that someone looking for a racquet may have no idea what a Volkl is, but will recognize the Boris Becker name and give it a shot. All Volkl has to do is use the same mold with a different paint job, toss in some extra marketing, and voila you've cheaply expanded your market through better name recognition. This is a pretty common marketing strategy.

NoBadMojo
05-29-2007, 09:55 AM
at this time i don't know of a material shortage for the surfboard industry in these neck of the woods. however prices have risen as a result of increased petroleum costs...

i think the shortage may be over..i seem to recall that one company was supplying most of the foam core material to independent surfboard makers and they went away or something

They're not going to operate independly, and this happens all the time in many markets. Walk down an isle in your grocery store, and most of the products are probably owned by Kraft or Nestle. It's not competing against yourself, since the revenue ends up in the same pockets. The line of thinking is that someone looking for a racquet may have no idea what a Volkl is, but will recognize the Boris Becker name and give it a shot. All Volkl has to do is use the same mold with a different paint job, toss in some extra marketing, and viola you've cheaply expanded your market through better name recognition. This is a pretty common marketing strategy.

well said..basic sales and marketing 101.

insiderman
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
As I heard it...K2 Corp. owns the name Volkl and the time is running out where the racket part of the 'deal', allows them to use the name much longer without paying a royalty - so a 100% Becker name/line is evident.

NoBadMojo
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Played doubles today at the local club...by chance, viewed a very large lady, (I won't say 'fat') and she was 'swinging' a DNX 1. I asked her is she could sing, and she said; "yes, quite well...in fact I will be doing so later on tonight..."

So, by the time many of you have read this post...the 'large-lady' has already sung...

As I heard it...K2 Corp. owns the name Volkl and the time is running out where the racket part of the 'deal', allows them to use the name much longer without paying a royalty - so a 100% Becker name/line is evident.

Hi Tom...i have trouble choosing which of these posts of yours is the most silly, ridiculous and desperate..i think it's a coin flip.

mctennis
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM

Ditto NBMJ, too many uninformed pots and posters.

NoBadMojo
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Ditto NBMJ, too many uninformed pots and posters.

aye..it's one thing when someone posts bad info innocently, but quite another when it's done maliciously ....clearly we have the malicious types around here...