http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYsDzMTvgk&NR=1

enjoy!

asintu
05-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Wow........

BreakPoint
05-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Scary!

If Federer watched that video before his exhibition matches against Sampras, even he'd be scared going in. :-o

jelle v
05-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Wow... absolutely stunning tennis from Sampras.

War, Safin!
05-29-2007, 03:11 AM
This clip illustrates:
a) what a great offensive player Sampras was.
b) what a great returner Agassi had to be.
c) how Federer dominates today's players in a similar fashion*

*(but who aren't anywhere near Agassi's level) ;)

Baghdatis72
05-29-2007, 03:22 AM
That's a great exhibition of talent and power by Sampras :o

Solat
05-29-2007, 03:36 AM
my hero, i play that style of game, and use the 6.0 so i can look like that....

...well its nice to dream... :D

AgassiFan12
05-29-2007, 05:09 AM
WOW!! WOW!! and WOW!!

I sometimes forget how dominant Sampras could actually be. Especially against my boy, Agassi. I never appreciated Sampras when he was having his run because I was too busy being mad at him for nearly always beating Andre, but when I see videos of him it makes me upset that I didn't appreciate him when he was around. Oh, well thank god there is you tube and DVD's to buy!

oscar_2424
05-29-2007, 05:17 AM
great video, thanks for sharing

armand
05-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Agassi at the height of his powers. You gotta feel for Andre there; he was finally the Prom Queen(#1 in the World) but here comes Pete grabbing some thunder both at the Wimbledon final and here at the year's end Championships.

Fedace
05-29-2007, 06:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYsDzMTvgk&NR=1

enjoy!

I had forgotten how big Sampras serve really was. even on video, you can see the pace and spin of his serve which is pretty incredible.:D

CEvertFan
05-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Sampras was clearly in the zone that day. On every shot he could do no wrong. You always knew when Sampras was at his best because of the way he hit the backhand, because when he wasn't playing his best and he wasn't confident that was always the 1st shot of his to go.

drakulie
05-29-2007, 07:18 AM
^^^^ So true. His backhand that day was absolutely scary. Pete in no way allowed AA to dictate any point from the baseline. As soon as AA would start a cross-court rally (BH to BH), Pete would go for broke >>> and was nailing it. Time and time again. His serve was also unbelievable. One of my favorite matches to watch.

Although Pete says the 99 Wimbledon win was the best he ever played >> I disagree. I think this is the best I have ever seen him play.

tHotGates
05-29-2007, 07:51 AM
There's a slew of Pete zoning matches on youtube. In fact, it seems like all of Pete's matches are on youtube (except Pete v Lendl 90 USO .. grumble). Check this link ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbvf2RJXDQ&mode=related&search=

Other notables:

Pete v AA 96 SJ (both complete match & mini clip)
Pete v Chang 94 USO (both complete match & mini clip)
Pete v Courier 92 USO (complete match)
Pete v Agassi 99 Wimby (complete match)
Summer & Spring of 99 (complete matches)

War, Safin!
05-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Sampras - Agassi, Wimbledon Final 1999 is still the benchmark of being 'in the zone', IMO.

noeledmonds
05-29-2007, 10:20 AM
The 1999 ATP World Championship Final was a remarkable performance by Sampras, but I agree with "War, Safin!" here that Sampras's best performance this year (and probabely ever) was the Wimbledon final. Even Federer's best single matches (to date) don't match up to the way that Sampras demolished Agassi at Wimbledon that day. It was not the score line, it was the way that after saving a break point in the 1st set Sampras never looked vunerable. Agassi hit barely any unforced errors, but Sampras had an answer for everything. This was one of the best grass court performances of all time.

ShooterMcMarco
05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
I had forgotten how big Sampras serve really was. even on video, you can see the pace and spin of his serve which is pretty incredible.:D

Its crazy how much the ball explodes off the court on his serves

BreakPoint
05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Its crazy how much the ball explodes off the court on his serves
That's what happens when you use a 14 oz. small headed racquet strung with gut with the perfect service motion. It's like pounding nails with a hammer! :-o ;)

ShooterMcMarco
05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
That's what happens when you use a 14 oz. small headed racquet strung with gut with the perfect service motion. It's like pounding nails with a hammer! :-o ;)

Lets see what he can do with a 14 oz k-factor :p

kirbster123
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Amazing match. Anyone know exactly what string he used, and what tension he strung his racquet at?

War, Safin!
05-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Amazing match. Anyone know exactly what string he used, and what tension he strung his racquet at?
From what his stringer at the time states, Babolat VS gut 17 strung at 70-75lb, on a racquet leaded up to 380g...

shiva29
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
i agree with "war safin". The 99 wimbledon final was the best performance i have ever seen!!
the most impressive with pete was his serve! the best ever for sure!
if Fed had sampras's serve he would beat nadal 8 times on 10!

War, Safin!
05-29-2007, 11:14 AM
i agree with "war safin". The 99 wimbledon final was the best performance i have ever seen!!
the most impressive with pete was his serve! the best ever for sure!
if Fed had sampras's serve he would beat nadal 8 times on 10!
That's just it - over the last 6 months, Federer's serve has really dipped.

shiva29
05-29-2007, 11:29 AM
That's just it - over the last 6 months, Federer's serve has really dipped.

he does not get a lot of free points with his serve!! unlike pete!
bad for him

pj80
05-29-2007, 04:07 PM
No doubt pistol played impressive against agassi in wimbledon 1999 and in masters that same year. But somehow I think he played his best in 1997.

Look at these highlights from paris 1997 http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpPDFuP7nZE
and masters 1997 http://youtube.com/watch?v=BTpfaT8fduE

look at his movement, he was much quicker than in 1999, also his ball placement was incredibly efficient, and of course the power in his shots was insane. That Sampras vs. Federer today would be awsome to watch.....

CEvertFan
05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
IMO Sampras had the best 1st serve and especially 2nd serve ever in the men's game. Textbook service motion and done with effortless ease. Agassi had one of the best returns of serve ever in the men's game and even he often couldn't handle Pete's serve.

A.Davidson
05-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Once again, the "Federer is to Sampras as Nadal is to Agassi" comparison has to come into play here - both Nadal and Agassi are/were so talented, and they had the task of playing arguably the greatest player of all time. Luckily for fans, it was and is always interesting.

Fedace
05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Has anyone here tried to copy Sampras's service motion ?

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
No doubt pistol played impressive against agassi in wimbledon 1999 and in masters that same year. But somehow I think he played his best in 1997.

Look at these highlights from paris 1997 http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpPDFuP7nZE
and masters 1997 http://youtube.com/watch?v=BTpfaT8fduE

look at his movement, he was much quicker than in 1999, also his ball placement was incredibly efficient, and of course the power in his shots was insane. That Sampras vs. Federer today would be awsome to watch.....\\

MAN PISTOL PETE OF 97 MOVES LIKE A RED HOT FERARRI. FULL OF POWER. YET SO SMOOTH.

tenniskid3119
05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
amazing. thats why he's one of the best

Fedace
05-29-2007, 06:15 PM
You know when sampras does that hot shot jump overhead, he goes crosscourt with it about 90% of the time, i don't why guys doesn't just guess crosscourt everytime on it ?

psamp14
05-29-2007, 06:37 PM
WOW........pistol pete would scare the life out of anyone with that game.....so dominating, such power, precision, accuracy, and hops! :)

ShooterMcMarco
05-29-2007, 07:36 PM
\\

MAN PISTOL PETE OF 97 MOVES LIKE A RED HOT FERARRI. FULL OF POWER. YET SO SMOOTH.

IMO he prances around like a deer (which isn't a bad thing), Federer is a little more smoother. Both effective ways to move around the court ;)

tHotGates
05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Pete moves more like a cat (quick, fast, & agile) if I had to make an animal comparison. Roger is definitely the smoother of the two ... Fed's footwork is really beautiful to see.

If I were making the ultimate Sampras, I would take athletically peak Sampras of 1995-97, then combine that with 1999 experience savvy Pete, & finally & very importantly include or equip Pete with a modern K-factor racquet.

chiru
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Has anyone here tried to copy Sampras's service motion ?

I have. I donno how much i look like him, but i'd say for my size (about 5' 5", 5' 6" and i have the biggest serve on my D-3 socal team) i'd say its worked alright.

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I think Pete moves more like a cat (quick, fast, & agile) if I had to make an animal comparison. Roger is definitely the smoother of the two ... Fed's footwork is really beautiful to see.

If I were making the ultimate Sampras, I would take athletically peak Sampras of 1995-97, then combine that with 1999 experience savvy Pete, & finally & very importantly include or equip Pete with a modern K-factor racquet.

pete combined with a st. vincent produces such a beautiful way to play tennis. it also has to do with his choice of weapon. his st. vincent is like his paintbrush and pete is the artist. try a st. vincent you will know what i mean. i've never seen a player except maybe a henin hit like that. fed plays more of an ugly tennis. just watch how pete at times improvises, so unique. he's like a jazz musician on court!

Phil
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
pete combined with a st. vincent produces such a beautiful way to play tennis. it also has to do with his choice of weapon. his st. vincent is like his paintbrush and pete is the artist. try a st. vincent you will know what i mean.

Pete would have played well using a whisk brush. Racquet brand is way overrated in judging a player's abilities. It wouldn't have mattered what BRAND of paintbrush Van Gogh used...his ability as an artist would remain the same. Bad analogy, but nice try in trying to sound "smart".

tennis_hand
05-29-2007, 10:13 PM
he does not get a lot of free points with his serve!! unlike pete!
bad for him

Pete and Fed play different style of games.
Pete is a S&Ver who needs to rely on his serve a lot to get points.
Fed is an all-courter, set up the game, and win the points. Fed mixed up with a lot of variety. He doesn't have to rely on his serve as much as Pete does to win. This all ensures the beauty of Fed's game.

Thank God our current No1 is not another pure boring S&Ver. ;)

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
IMO he prances around like a deer (which isn't a bad thing), Federer is a little more smoother. Both effective ways to move around the court ;)

a deer would not dare to serve and volley. IMO pete = prancing horse = ferrari

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Pete would have played well using a whisk brush. Racquet brand is way overrated in judging a player's abilities. It wouldn't have mattered what BRAND of paintbrush Van Gogh used...his ability as an artist would remain the same. Bad analogy, but nice try in trying to sound "smart".

do u have classic strokes and have you ever played with a st. vincent? try it you will know what i mean. but only pete can truly master the brush.

knasty131
05-29-2007, 10:19 PM
notice how it says highlights??? lol how about all of sampras' winners for the match???

ShooterMcMarco
05-29-2007, 10:22 PM
a deer would not dare to serve and volley. IMO pete = prancing horse = ferrari

Well if hes a horse, then he gallops.

Phil
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
do u have classic strokes and have you ever played with a st. vincent? try it you will know what i mean. but only pete can truly master the brush.

I use a racquet that is not much bigger than a PS85, but so what? Pete is Pete...the racquet doesn't make all that much of a difference. If you think it does, maybe you don't know very much about tennis.

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 10:49 PM
I use a racquet that is not much bigger than a PS85, but so what? Pete is Pete...the racquet doesn't make all that much of a difference. If you think it does, maybe you don't know very much about tennis.

dude i know pete is pete the point im trying to make is only pete can truly use the st. vincent to its full potential. i give up.

Phil
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
dude i know pete is pete the point im trying to make is only pete can truly use the st. vincent to its full potential. i give up.

Edberg, Courier, Graf, Evert and a young Federer didn't do to badly using the St. Vincent. Y

ou SHOULD give up. You're barking up the wrong tree. It isn't the stick...it's the Playa.

Young Pete
05-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Edberg, Courier, Graf, Evert and a young Federer didn't do to badly using the St. Vincent. Y

ou SHOULD give up. You're barking up the wrong tree. It isn't the stick...it's the Playa.

ok i agree with you those players u mentioned are well respected in my book too. question: did fed and pierce really use a ps sv or just a ps 85?
i know edberg used a chicago. courier a sv, graf used a 200g for sure. evert probably a sv, i know jen cap used a taiwan 85 i believe.

Phil
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
ok i agree with you those players u mentioned are well respected in my book too. question: did fed and pierce really use a ps sv or just a ps 85?
i know edberg used a chicago. courier a sv, graf used a 200g for sure. evert probably a sv, i know jen cap used a taiwan 85 i believe.

I thought Graf, at one point, used the PS...maybe it was just the 7.5. She switched from Head to Wilson in the early 90's, I believe.

What is the DIFFERENCE where the racquet was made? You young guys are totally hung up on this...I bet you could not tell the difference, if you didn't know, between using the SV and the Taiwan sticks. Would Capriatti have played any BETTER if her racquet said "Made in the USA" rather than "Made in Taiwan"? No.

It's all about the brand name with you. Like the snobs who will only drink FRENCH wine and not touch the Caliifornia or Australian stuff...even though those wines are, sometimes, better. If you want, I can find you some mint SV's. I know a store that stocks 'em...depending on the condition, the price is between $300 and $750. What a rip!

tHotGates
05-30-2007, 07:12 AM
re: racquets ..... true Pete (a tennis prodigy) can just about turn or use anything for a racquet to beautiful use .... but I put emphasis on the K-factor racquet because of Pete's recent comments of improved ground strokes & player & fan statements (see McEnroe) to the same effect.

On the issue of "these are just highlights" check out the final stats of the matches cited & you will find a dominating performance by Pete.

laurie
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
That 1999 ATP final is incredible. The German Master of Ceremonies interviewed Pete after the match on court and reminded Pete that Pete said he wanted to use that match as a test for next season (due to been off with a bad back for much of the Autumn) The German MC asked almost in exasperation - "Is this the way you test?!"
That brought a smile to Pete's face!

Some of Pete's other very best performances (and I recommend Pete fans to get ahold of these matches):

1997 Davis cup semifinal v Rafter (Rafter was slaughtered)
1990 US Open semifinal v McEnroe
1993 US Open quarterfinal v Chang
1999 Cincinatti semifinal v Agassi (the second set is absolutely somethng else, against a great player not a mug, for 25 minutes that's the best he's played. I'm sure the people in the stadium that day will not forget it for a long time)
1997 ATP final - v Kafelnikov
2000 US Open quarterfinal v Krajicek
1996 ATP final - v Becker
1996 US Open final - v Chang
1998 Vienna quarterfinal - v Henman (6-0 6-3 in 45 minutes!)

The Gorilla
05-30-2007, 12:18 PM
why have you stopped posting matches laurie?

laurie
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I haven't. I still post matches around once every 3 weeks.

I've got some grass matches lined up for after the French.
I've got loads of clay matches on my site right now. Go to page 2 of former pro player talk and you will see my latest list there.

dunloplayah
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
hoo ray for the all courters! My kind of tennis! Can't wait to see him and Mcenroe live and in person here in Little Rock Arkansas July 22 for an exhibition match!

Ares
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Those are some great vids of Pete. Id like to see the one where Pete Sampras gets owned by Safin in the US Open final. Safin was definitely Pete's pimp that day. It was "Hitting clinic with Marat" that day. Similar to how Sampras slapped Agassi around.

I still think Federer is a more dominating player than Sampras.

Oh well, fun to watch them play. Really puts my *** back in place when I think Im hitting decent.

WhiteSox05CA
05-30-2007, 01:29 PM
WOW! SAMPRAS=MY HERO!
And this is against an amazing player AGASSI!- in a final!
The Sampras serve and slam dunk are so much fun to watch.

(Federer could never do that- and I'm a Federer fan)

tHotGates
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Question for laurie .... do you have the 1990 USO Pete v Lendl match?

laurie
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Question for laurie .... do you have the 1990 USO Pete v Lendl match?

Yes I do have this match, plus the semi against McEnroe and the final against Agassi (another awsome display from a guy just turned 19)

pj80
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
1998 Vienna quarterfinal - v Henman (6-0 6-3 in 45 minutes!)[/QUOTE]

heres that massacre of henman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5322Y46ZvQ&mode=related&search=

Phil
05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
1998 Vienna quarterfinal - v Henman (6-0 6-3 in 45 minutes!)

heres that massacre of henman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5322Y46ZvQ&mode=related&search=[/quote]

Brutal, absolutely brutal. No mercy.

Defcon
05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
fed plays more of an ugly tennis.

You do realize people have been shot for lies much smaller than that, don't you?

Solat
05-31-2007, 02:55 AM
i think Sampras could hit the corner of the service box c/c off his FH no matter where in the court he was. Amazing rip for such a flat grip

tHotGates
05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Yes I do have this match, plus the semi against McEnroe and the final against Agassi (another awsome display from a guy just turned 19)

I have visited your site before but I have forgotten the link. Do you upload your matches or sell them? Youtube has the AA & Mac matches but not the Lendl match. I remember seeing highlights of the 89 USO Willander match win for Pete & that raised an eyebrow then to have that followed up by Pete's amazing run in 1990 .... I couldn't believe that this kid just beat Lendl, Mac, & Agassi. What an awesome display of talent. I still have (somewhere) the SI magazine featuring Pete's win with the splash headline: "A Star is Born".

laurie
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I have visited your site before but I have forgotten the link. Do you upload your matches or sell them? Youtube has the AA & Mac matches but not the Lendl match. I remember seeing highlights of the 89 USO Willander match win for Pete & that raised an eyebrow then to have that followed up by Pete's amazing run in 1990 .... I couldn't believe that this kid just beat Lendl, Mac, & Agassi. What an awesome display of talent. I still have (somewhere) the SI magazine featuring Pete's win with the splash headline: "A Star is Born".

Hi. send me an email through my profile and I'll send you my websites.

laurie
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Does anyone actually know that Agassi aimed a ball at Sampras' head in the 3rd set of the 1999 ATP final?

Agassi was so frustrated at one point that instead of aiming a pass down the line, he purposely changed his grip and aimed the shot straight at Sampras' head - who swayed out of the way, he didn't look too amused. The German crowd was quick to see what Agassi was up to and booed him. I don't know if You tube has that highlight, it was during the 3rd set.

Yesterday I mentioned some of Sampras' best matches. today I will mention some of my favourite matches (where both players played great or it was a nice spectacle):

2000 Miami final - I have no hesitation in saying this is one of the great matches of recent times. The attacker vs the baseliner (although I think Kuerten is an all court player, he had good results on hard winning Cincinatti in 2001 and getting the US Open quarterfinal in 1999. He served a lot of aces and had good volleys). The corwd was absolutely incredible. 4 hours of magic.

1994 Miami final - An absloutely fantastic baseline battle between Sampras and Agassi. A real contrast between how Sampras played in 1994 and how he played in 2000.

1998 Cincinatti final - Rafter beat Sampras in 3 snapping an 8 match winning streak to Sampras. Sampras was on fire in the 1st set winning it 6:1 and at one point Rafter gave his racquet to the ball boy telling him to have a go!

2002 US Open rd 4. After the Rusedski match, Sampras kind of dipped into his repretoir and reminded himself what he was about. He would have beaten Haas in 3 sets had he not got mentally nervous. It was a long time since Sampras was hitting the kick serve to the backhand and then hitting the forehand down the line for winners. That was what Sampras was all about in the early to late 1990s and in 2000 and 2001 he neglected this sort of tactic. These tactics brought him the US Open in 02 because it gave his opponents a different look and kept them off balance.

1996 French Open quarterfinal v Courier. Came from 2 sets down, I've never seen Courier so angry.

1994 ATP final v Becker - I really like this match, Sampras hit some great backhands.

1991 ATP final v Courier, another great baseline battle. Those guys hit the ball as hard as you will see today.

1992 Cincinatti final v Lendl. This was really a fun match to watch. The third set had 5 breaks of serve in a row.

1999 Wimbledon semifinal v Henman. Sampras didn't play his best that day but his determination was incredible and that did for Henman in the end. Having said that, Sampras hit about 15 return winners, one of his strengths on grass.

2000 Wimbledon final v Rafter - despite the record, that was a drama filled high quality Tennis match.

2002 US Open final. What a contrast to the 2001 US Open quarterfinal. No tiebreaks here, and quite a few breaks of serve, more typical of their meetings over the years. It's ironic that Sampras came on the scene in 1990 and the commentators were complementing his backhand down the line, and in his last match, he kept nailing that backhand down the line, especially off the return. He really rediscovered something about himself in that tournament.

drakulie
05-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Does anyone actually know that Agassi aimed a ball at Sampras' head in the 3rd set of the 1999 ATP final?

Agassi was so frustrated at one point that instead of aiming a pass down the line, he purposely changed his grip and aimed the shot straight at Sampras' head - who swayed out of the way, he didn't look too amused. The German crowd was quick to see what Agassi was up to and booed him. I don't know if You tube has that highlight, it was during the 3rd set.

I don't recall that. I do recall Agassi hitting a shot directly at Sampras, but not necessarily aiming it directly at Sampras as if to hit him.

The shot I recall, Agassi returned a serve (deuce side) that Sampras volleyed back down the middle of the court. Agassi was running to the ad side and had to stop and take a cut at the ball as he was wrong-footed. He did crush it from what I remember but it sailed long.

Laurie, do you recall where in the third set it happened ?

laurie
05-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi Drak, yes that happened too where Andre was wrong footed.

But the incident I'm referring too, Andre changed his grip at the last moment to have a go, and as I said the crowd booed so they saw what happened. I haven't watched the match for some time so I can't remember precisely where it happened, but I thnk it was around the 2nd or 3rd game of the 3rd set.

aznspongehead
05-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Woah that was unbelievable tennis!!!

pj80
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Drak, yes that happened too where Andre was wrong footed.

But the incident I'm referring too, Andre changed his grip at the last moment to have a go, and as I said the crowd booed so they saw what happened. I haven't watched the match for some time so I can't remember precisely where it happened, but I thnk it was around the 2nd or 3rd game of the 3rd set.

i believe laurie is referring to the point at the 4:45 mark of this clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tQjQmEhLyKY

drakulie
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
pj80, thanks for the post. Saved me the trouble of watching the 3rd set when I get home.

Yeah, I remember that point now. I don't think he was necessarily trying to hit him, rather just blasted off as hard as he could. However, AA was clearly frustrated.

jcstennis
05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Holy Moley!!!! jeez-zoo. Pete's stuff was just filthy! ;)

SamBruin
05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Very nice! Pete in his prime for sure and he seemed to have brought his A+ game that day. I think he could have beat anyone that day easily.. even Federer.

Fred The Red
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM
wow, that is great tennis!!!!!

but i honestly believe that Pete's A+ game would not defeat the
A+ game of Federer...

tHotGates
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi. send me an email through my profile and I'll send you my websites.

Will do .... I'm having some tech problems (maybe a personal settings issue though I doubt it) but I will e-mail you soon ... Thanks

tHotGates
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Another Sampras goodie ...

Pete v Rafter highlights ... Philly .. 1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAc_ljAqxZM