PDA

View Full Version : cheap polys

schaefferm46
09-25-2004, 01:14 PM
i am wondering what is the best polyester string for a cheap price i have play with the big banger but that is a little pricey

michael

thatballwas_IN
09-25-2004, 04:41 PM
ashaway monogut 17g is great, especially for the price.
luxilons polys must be made of pure gold for the amount they charge... haven't tried it... but
i dont think it could be worth it... find a cheap poly you like and stick with it!

i hybrid my poly with a soft syn. gut to balance it out and save my shoulder. 18x20 string pattern and a hard poly didnt feel good to me, but when i hybrid it, i get a consistent stringbed w/o string movement, durability, and surprising power and control.

spinbalz
09-26-2004, 05:30 AM
If you can try Technifibre Polyspin 1.25mm gauge (the Grey one, not the orange one in 1.275mm gauge sold at TW that play totally differently and pretty bad IMHO), you may like it, and the price must be around $60 for a 660' reel.

I hate the Gosen Polylon Ice 17g, but one of my hitting partners loves it, he drops the tension from 6lbs compared to his past string ; at $30 for a 660' reel the price is great.

Benjamin
09-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Not sure what you consider cheap but for under $8, Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey is the best I've found....and I've tried almost all of them.

Benjamin

tarheelbornjohn
09-28-2004, 05:01 AM
If you have ever used ALU for any length of time, you will see why it is "worth it." Best string I have ever used. The monogut lost tension very fast (much faster than ALU) and when it had was just terrible. If you can play the same day you sting you might get something like ALU for two days then nothing. However, everyone is different. I do my own stringing and try all kinds of different strings and combinations. The only thing that comes close to the grey Lux ALU is the Ice Lux ALU. I would love for them to be cheaper, but they are the same price as top end GAMMA and Wilson strings and are much better for me personally. They are 5$ less than the lowest GUT.

thatballwas_IN
09-28-2004, 07:29 AM
tarhellbjorn: you are right about the tension loss of Monogut... it plays AMAZINGLY well for a match or so, but then it does lose tension quickly. when i had to block some serves back yesterday, (ones that would usually stay in) they were all sailing long. It was pretty surprising since at first the racquet played great and was now acting like a trampoline!
still, if you do have your own stringer, Ashaway makes a great bargain string. i guess i'll try a ALU hybrid to check it out the difference.

tarheelbornjohn
09-29-2004, 10:51 AM
The first time I used Monogut, I was very encouraged during the string process as it acted very much like ALU with just a little more bounce on my drop weight machine. However, the difference I did notice was that you did not need to leave "slack" to get the arm to horizonal like you have to do with ALU. It rained the next day and did not end up playing with it for 4 days. When I picked it up and hit the first time it was already acting like a trampoline. I hit with it a while and could not control it at all and nothing like ALU would be acting. Cut it out that night. I gave monogut another try week later strung it up the night before and played first think in the AM. It did play like ALU for three or four games (that is right three or four games) then just lost its control. I was very disapointed as I thought I had found a low cost ALU clone. It may be cheaper per pack, but if you get less than a set out of them, they really are not. I know some don't like the stiff feel of ALU but I do. It gives great control and great power for several matches. I am going to try Unique Poly next, but there really is only a few bucks difference with it being 10.00.

finchy
09-29-2004, 12:14 PM
tarheel, what was ur tension? my coach strung mine at 62.