http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/roddickforehand.jpg

Dink
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Eh, you play the cards you're dealt.

Sakumo
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
the work with jimmy conners has really paid off....discuss
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/roddickbackhand.jpg

His backhand is gross IMO. He holds it so high up I have no idea how he gets power. He needs the whip he used to have.

mileslong
05-29-2007, 10:28 PM
what do roddick and linda ronstadt have in common? blew by you...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/blewbyyou.jpg

ShcMad
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
lol...why is he gripping so high with his right hand during that backhand?

Watching Roddick's backhand I realized that I'd rather have James Blake's backhand if I were forced to choose between the two.

crazylevity
05-29-2007, 11:28 PM
If Roddick's backhand is beautiful, how would you describe Safin's and Nalbandian's??

If Roddick's backhand is beautiful, how would you describe Federer's and Henin's??

BigGriff
05-29-2007, 11:42 PM
My buddies and I joke about Roddick's backhand. I think he has the backhand of a 14 year old girl. No pace, variety or depth.

CEvertFan
05-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Roddick's backhand is one UGLY shot. It's also one of the weakest parts of his game. Even working with Connors isn't going to change that unless they totally rebulid his backhand, which will never happen.

Photoshop
05-29-2007, 11:52 PM
My buddies and I joke about Roddick's backhand. I think he has the backhand of a 14 year old girl. No pace, variety or depth.
Come on now, that's a bit harsh - Roddick's backhand is a 6.5 at worst.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
wait, im not familiar, that is the guy who always gets killed by federer yes?

bluetrain4
05-30-2007, 12:02 AM
If he were younger and still developing, I'd want to see him change to a one-handed backhand.

With that serve and his old forehand, a consisent slice backhand, and a one-hander that he could come over when he needed to, he'd be much better.

Of course, this is pure speculation.

mileslong
05-30-2007, 12:19 AM
If Roddick's backhand is beautiful, how would you describe Safin's and Nalbandian's??
please adjust sarcasm meter...thanks

Golden Retriever
05-30-2007, 12:40 AM
His backhand is all wrists, I think he uses more wrist to make up for the extreme short swing. It looks horrendous but it is consistent enough. It can't overpower anyone but it can produce some effective passing shots. Thats one advantage of the 2hander, you can get away with using too much wrists.

War, Safin!
05-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah, hung, drawn and quartered at that!

edmondsm
05-30-2007, 01:27 AM

If Roddick's backhand is beautiful, how would you describe Federer's and Henin's??

How would you describe, not understanding sarcasm??

DavaiMarat
05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
There's a nice article about the 2handed backhands of Agassi and Roddicks. It talks about the similarities and differences, Agassi's backhand being highly superior to Roddick.

The problem with Roddick is he closes off his body in backhand and doesn't allow his core to come forward and around like it should. The result is an abbreviate swing cause him to be very whippy without a prolong stroke thru the hitting zone. He gets away with it because of the silly Wide Body he uses. Put a PC600 in his hand like Safins and his backhand would have the punch of a 12 year old girl with a junior racquet.

That said, I'm not willing to judge a player based on one awkward looking shot. I've hit all my shots from close, open and neutral stances given the circumstances. All good players will do this and even hit off balance (like a reverse pivot forehand) the proof is really where the ball lands and the spin and heaviness it has. Is Roddicks backhand the model of consistency and depth and power? No. Does he use his serve and big forehand to cover up his backhand? For the most part yes.

Connor's teaching him to hit a new backhand? At this stage, being a coach myself, is highly unlikely. To integrate a new stroke takes months and months of practice and FAILURE. Chances are, even if he wanted to change, it wouldn't be worth the drop in the rankings and chances at titles.

Same reason Graff never used her Topspin Backhand (or very rarely). To rebuild her game around it wouldn't be worth the time investment.

Cheers,

Mike

logansc
05-30-2007, 10:10 AM

You are just angry because you want to be Federer. :-D

On topic, his backhand is ugly. It's very tough to unlearn something you've done your entire career. Odds are it won't get much better. If anything he needs to work on what he has and highlight his stronger points. It's worked well for him in the past.