PDA

View Full Version : For only the 3rd time ever...

Rabbit
05-30-2007, 05:59 AM
For only the 3rd time since Open tennis started, there are no American male players in the 2nd round of a Grand Slam event. The other two times this happened were in 1972 and 1973 at the Australian Open. There were no Americans entered in the '72 & '73 Aussie Open.

Clearly there is something wrong with American tennis. Could it be the proliferation of hard courts? I think so. The USTA had better be more concerned with the short $ and look more into the longevity of the sport here or we'll all be watching bowling on TV...

federerfanatic
05-30-2007, 06:01 AM
The current crop of American men are just not good on clay. Hopefully there are better things to come at Wimbledon and the U.S Open.

Baghdatis72
05-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Yeah you're right about that as this is an impressive phenomenon that we are witnessing. 8 Americans enter R128 and 0 Americans in R64 :o

Craig Sheppard
05-30-2007, 06:41 AM
That really doesn't upset me... what upsets me is now the TV people will show twice as much Williams sisters and other American women... THAT is the real tragedy here.

helloworld
05-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Roddick being the top american player at the moment should be enough to see how bad american tennis has gone.

theballboy
05-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Roddick being the top american player at the moment should be enough to see how bad american tennis has gone.

Roddick made it to the USO final last year... The semis in Australia... and has consistently been the second best grass court player behind Federer for the past several years. He's also in the top five. Acting like Roddick is a horrible player is just foolish.

Noir
05-30-2007, 07:08 AM
>Clearly there is something wrong with American tennis.
Clearly. :rolleyes: I really don't follow your logic. The US players didn't make it to the second round this year, it's not a noticeable trend, and suddenly American tennis is broken?

logansc
05-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Roddick made it to the USO final last year... The semis in Australia... and has consistently been the second best grass court player behind Federer for the past several years. He's also in the top five. Acting like Roddick is a horrible player is just foolish.

Agreed. American tennis fans have the disfortune of being spoiled by all the greats we've produced over the year. This same conversation was going on at this time last year and once the summer season and indoor fall season came around the talk quieted down because Roddick made USO final, and Blake making tennis masters final. And all this talk about how they can't beat Fed esp from Fed fans is kind of redundant as they sit there and blast the Americans for not beating him and then out of the other side of their mouths they talk about how he is the greatest to ever play the game...

VGP
05-30-2007, 08:50 AM
"proliferation of hard courts"

Like that's something new.......

Rabbit
05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
>Clearly there is something wrong with American tennis.
Clearly. :rolleyes: I really don't follow your logic. The US players didn't make it to the second round this year, it's not a noticeable trend, and suddenly American tennis is broken?

No "suddenly" to it. And, it's not just this year. How many Americans won the French between the years 1955 and 1989? How many since then? American players' success at the French has been abysmal.

This is yet another example of the deteriorating system in the US. Other countries like Spain, Sweden, Chile and Argentina are producing better and more rounded tennis players. Australia and England have realized this. Australia is concentrating on building clay couts to combat the trend and help juniors develop the skills they need. England is revamping their entire system as well.

Patrick McEnroe has come out in favor of such a move. He went on to say that growing up on clay gives a player a solid foundation on which to build. John McEnroe says that while he's not comfortable on clay, he doesn't know why. He grew up on clay and played better on clay while he was a junior. Roger Federer grew up on red clay. The first Wimbledon winner to grow up on hardcourts in the Open era was....Andre Agassi.

No, nothing sudden about my opinion. I've been saying for quite some time that all Grand Slams should be played on natural surfaces. Hardcourts are shortening careers and taking variety out of the game.

Like that's something new.......

Well, in the bigger scheme of things, it is. Until recently, the majority of professional tennis tournaments were contested on clay. It's only been in the last 20 or so years that hardcourts have dominated more than half the schedule. This coincides with the Australian's decision to move to a hardcourt after the US did in '78.

logansc
05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I believe the USTA is starting to make a move towards what you're saying, Rabbit. They made a deal with Evert's academy which has clay court facilities, you see more and more Har Tru courts around at clubs and in local parks, at least where I am, but you know it does take time to change your entire system esp with hardcourts being so prevalent. I agree with you though, as an avid American tennis fan and follower I hate seeing everyone get pasted in the first round of ANY grandslam. Although the Bryans and the Williams sisters are still around so all is not lost...yet.

Chauvalito
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
For me Roddicks problems seem quite simple...his weapons are neutralized: forehand and serve, and his weaknesses are englared: movement and his backhand on clay.

the final effect is that he becomes an average pro.

I agree that he is very good pn other surfaces, its just not going to work for him on clay...

There were numerous shots yesterday on which he gave up or was at least 2 steps behind simply becasue he does not move well on clay...

logansc
05-30-2007, 09:11 AM
For me Roddicks problems seem quite simple...his weapons are neutralized: forehand and serve, and his weaknesses are englared: movement and his backhand on clay.

the final effect is that he becomes an average pro.

I agree that he is very good pn other surfaces, its just not going to work for him on clay...

There were numerous shots yesterday on which he gave up or was at least 2 steps behind simply becasue he does not move well on clay...

Yup, nail on the head. He got sucked into it by Andreev in the second set and let him dictate.

Chauvalito
05-30-2007, 09:16 AM
That said, Andreev was hitting some massive forehands...even on the run he was hitting crosscourt winners.

The other thing I noticed, and I think Andreev knew this as well, was that Andreev would hang out on the ad side of the court hitting inside out forehands for the last 3 sets of the match.

Against someone with a better backhand he would not have been able to to that because, they would of course start to hit winners down the line.

Andreev knew that if Roddick went for a backhand down the line, Roddick would miss, or hit it short, so he was able to just hang out and hit forhand after forehand.

Roddick could never tell which way he was going to go, this allowed Andreev to go for winners down the line with his forehand...

Andreev could not have done that against a Safin or a Baghdatis because of their strong 2 handers down the line.

logansc
05-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Definitely not, even if he landed a backhand up the line Andreev would run it down and just rip another ridiculous forehand winner. He was on fire after that break in the second. That and Roddick is SOO slow, especially on the dirt.

zapvor
05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I believe the USTA is starting to make a move towards what you're saying, Rabbit. They made a deal with Evert's academy which has clay court facilities, you see more and more Har Tru courts around at clubs and in local parks, at least where I am, but you know it does take time to change your entire system esp with hardcourts being so prevalent. I agree with you though, as an avid American tennis fan and follower I hate seeing everyone get pasted in the first round of ANY grandslam. Although the Bryans and the Williams sisters are still around so all is not lost...yet.

yea i just read about this in Tennis mag. and i think its great, because we need to do this. for players to exit in 1st round like that is embarassing.