PDA

View Full Version : New Player

Web Crawler
03-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey, I just started to play Tennis and I was wondering if anyone would mind lending out some helpful pointers to help me and a racket that is good for starters I would greatly appreciate it. Right now Im using a Triad 4.0 Midplus

Cypo
03-15-2004, 01:07 AM
I think if you ask specific question it is easier to answer. I'm not too good at explaining and I'm not too well informed about racquets, but there are lot's of people here who are.

People are pretty nice here about sharing advice (though sometimes some people will give you a hard time, just for the heck of it :-))

Web Crawler
03-15-2004, 07:38 AM
K, I was wondering what is a good racket to start off with or is my Triad good enough and if Tennis Shoes really make a difference or can I just use my running sneakers.

Bungalo Bill
03-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Web,

It is very difficult to tell you what racquet is best for you without seeing your physical condition, male or female, your physique etc.

A good pro shop is your best bet. I would suggest demoing several racquets to find which one you like to hit with.

predrag
03-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Hey, I just started to play Tennis and I was wondering if anyone would mind lending out some helpful pointers to help me and a racket that is good for starters I would greatly appreciate it. Right now Im using a Triad 4.0 Midplus

For the start your racquet is fine. Little bit on the powerful side,
but it will help you get the ball over the net.

I would suggest you to get instruction with a decent pro, before
you manage to screw up your strokes too much. Take initial 5-10
lessons, it will be investment that will return handsomely over the years. But it is important to find a good pro.

Regards, Predrag

Web Crawler
03-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Yea, Im on Tennis Team for my school and Im gettin lessons from my coach. Tennis isnt really big where I live it just mainly basketball and football and the guys at the local sport shop dont really know to much about tennis rackets and what not. Here is my Physique just in case you can help alittle Bill, 5'7, 138 lbs, Male, Im in pretty good shape. Hope that helps at all. Also as of now I hit forehand and backhand with 2 hands. Should I continue to do this or go to a onehanded swing.

Web Crawler
03-17-2004, 03:30 PM
On my forehand when I hit the ball with topspin it seems to sail to far and ends up going out. Ive tried it hitting with less power but it still happends and if I try to hit it to soft it wont make it over or it gives my oppenent a easy volley. Is it my Triad 4.0 that has too much power or is it just the way im hitting it.

10nisNe1?
03-20-2004, 05:10 AM
If an instructor is not easily available in your area, I suggest you try hitting against a wall. Your first objective is to try to locate the sweetspot on your racquet first. Hit with forehands first. Stand close to the wall and hit soft, half-swing half-volley forehands to the wall--focusing on hitting the sweetspot of your racquet. Then gradually back-up and increase your swing and its speed, while always maintaining to hit on the sweetspot. You'll find the type of grip you'll use when you hit the sweetspot most often with it and feel no pain. I know a lot of good players started this way. Of course, it still wont hurt to turn to a pro even after you have grooved your forehand (and backhand).

Grimjack
03-20-2004, 02:57 PM
If you're just beginning, a few of the best things you can do for yourself, that won't bog you down in detail...

1) Prepare early. This is something you'll get more of a feel for later, and then rhythm becomes a factor. But when you're starting, you're 1000x more likely to get in position to hit the ball TOO LATE, rather than too early. If you think about getting your racquet back once you see which side the ball is coming to, you'll avoid a ton of mistakes that can crop up based on swinging too late.

2) Watch the ball all the way to your racquet. Sounds easy and obvious, but even good players often do this less than they should. It's human nature to want to pay more attention to the person across the net than to the ball. But if your eyes follow the ball all the way to your racquet, you'll mis-hit a lot less.

Later, you'll want to concentrate on keeping your head still till your stroke is done. Here, the problem is that it's human nature (again) to want to see how your stroke turns out. But it's physical nature that when you lift your head too soon, your balance is thrown off, and it screws up your shots. But first things first. Worry about watching the ball all the way in, first.

3) Try to hit with/play people who are a little better than you. Play people who are too good, and you get overwhelmed. Play with people who don't push you, and you never have impetus to improve. But play people who force you to think and work a little harder in order to compete with them, and you'll find yourself in an upward spiral of improvement.

Above all, have fun. Best of luck with your journey.

Web Crawler
03-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I appreciate all the advice here. I picked up Tennis because my school needed another player to have a team so I decided to join and Im glad that I did. Tennis is one of the funnest sports I have ever played and Im going continue playing tennis the rest of my Highschool years. Granted Im Number 6 on my team, its okay though because Im still learning and doing it by leaps and bounds. Today I beat our number 5 guy 6-4. I have trouble with my backhand but I just gota keep working at it. Thanks for all the advice guys.