PDA

View Full Version : Extended racquets and two handed backhand

jb193
05-30-2007, 11:12 AM
It seems from reading this board lately, that almost all pros that have very good two handed backhands use an extended length racquet. Some that come to mind are the Williams sisters, Canas, Nalbandian, and Hewitt. I think that wasn't the case with Agassi, but who else in the present or past, who had a world class two handed backhand used a standard length racquet?

Jonnyf
05-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Hewitt uses an SRD Tour 90 which is 27 inches long

Nuke
05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, the two-hander has been around longer than the extended racquet, so folks like Connors, Borg, Evert all used the two-handed BH on standard length frames.

jb193
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Hewitt uses an SRD Tour 90 which is 27 inches long

I have read in a couple places in this board that his racquet is customized to an extended frame. Maybe that is true, maybe it isn't. According to my untrained eye, it does look though like his racquet is extended from still pictures.

Well, the two-hander has been around longer than the extended racquet, so folks like Connors, Borg, Evert all used the two-handed BH on standard length frames.

Well, Connors' backhand was kind of unique in that his backhand looked really flat and I can see where someone who hits with a unusually flat backhand doesn't need that extra headspeed provided by a extended length frame. Hitting flat provides enough power as it is. I do get the feeling, however, that Borg, kind of like Nadal, was a physical specimen and didn't really need and power/leverage boost from a racquet due to his overall strength, which made him kind of unique also. I watched Evert briefly, and I don't know if I can say that she could stand toe to toe with the power hitters of today in women's tennis. That is just my opinion.

sureshs
05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I watched Evert briefly, and I don't know if I can say that she could stand toe to toe with the power hitters of today in women's tennis. That is just my opinion.

She can't and she would be the first to say so. But it was the wood era, women were not supposed to play "like men", and it was a different time. She was a pioneer in her own way.

jb193
05-30-2007, 01:34 PM
She can't and she would be the first to say so. But it was the wood era, women were not supposed to play "like men", and it was a different time. She was a pioneer in her own way.

I gotcha and I agree on Evert.

In the modern game of tennis, however, with tremendous groundstrokes, do regular people who want a top notch 2 handed backhand pretty much need an extended length racquet? From looking at pro player specs on this particular forum, it appears so. I would invite the oppurtunity for someone to refute this.

It seems to me that the only pros who didn't use extended lenght racquets and had great 2 handed backhands had incredible physical strenghth or an oversized racquet. Am I wrong?

Linkkokiri
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry guys if I'm saying something that seems obvious to you but:
Does Safin use an extended length racquet?

If so, then I'm not aware of it.

Surely you do count him in when you talk of "world class two-handed backhand users""!?

keithchircop
05-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Safin uses a 27" Prestige Classic. and his 2hbh is, well, was awesome.

crazylevity
05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Safin Hewitt and Agassi all used/are using standard length frames.

Henin and Gasquet, on the other hand, are very good one handers using extended length frames.

Perhaps there is no significant correlation after all.

jb193
06-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry guys if I'm saying something that seems obvious to you but:
Does Safin use an extended length racquet?

If so, then I'm not aware of it.

Surely you do count him in when you talk of "world class two-handed backhand users""!?

Good point about Safin. But let me qualify the discussion again by saying what I said about Borg earlier in the thread. Safin is a physical freak. He is 6'5, strong, fast, and well coordinated. He probably needs a standard length frame just to curtail the enormous power that he possesses. Even with him being directionless and flaky on the court, he is still in the top 25 in the world. That is something, considering that all of us who play tennis seriously know that it takes extreme focus and will to play to our top ability.

Even though Agassi plays with a standard lenghth racquet, the headsize of his frame is unusually large.

So, maybe I need to change the title of this thread. Are there any pros out there (who are not athletic phenoms with last names such as Safin or Nadal) that have a solid professional two handed backhand that doesn't have their frame juiced up a bit (albeit with extended length or extreme oversized head)?

The reason why I am proposing such a diaglogue, is that maybe normal people on the courts who have a two handed backhand should follow the professionals lead and possess a frame with added power to solidify that backhand.

crazylevity
06-03-2007, 05:10 AM
As aforementioned, Lleyton Hewitt.

It really depends on wat you consider "a frame with added power". Is a Pure Drive considered powerful? Is 98/100 sq inch considered large?? If not, most of the pple on tour aren't using "added power" frames. Moya uses standard length pure drive, so do plenty of other people. I'm quite sure Dementieva, Clijsters, Hingis all use standard length frames as well.

Simon Brown
06-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Ancic, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Monfils, Moya, Murray, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Vaidisova.

Even Agassi used the standard length Instinct for a bit towards the end of his career.

Extended length rackets tend to be used by the big servers (Roddick, Ljubicic) and the clay court grinders (Ferrero, Ferrer, Nalbandian, Davydenko).

Ljubicic and Gasquet both use single-handed backhands with extended length rackets.

Extended length rackets are probably easier to handle with double-handed backhands, but certainly lots of double-handers do well with a standard length racket.