PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse Picks To Win 2007 French Open

ktownva
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Based on what we've seen so far, which of these lowly contenders would you give an icecube's chance in He** to hoist the trophy and why?

jmsx521
05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Andreev, Tipsarevic, Vliegen, Gaudio, Ferrero, Karlovic!

topspin_17
05-30-2007, 05:56 PM
tipsarevic and djokovic all the way, man... although joko is not a dark horse

Bogie
05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
anyone besides nadal and fed would be considered a dark horse at this point. on topic though, if not fed or nadal, i'd go with andreev. guy is just unbelievable on clay and getting better with every match.

iplaybetter
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
tipsarevic ill jump on

Andres
05-30-2007, 06:23 PM
IIIIVOO!! Ivo! Ivoo! Ivooo! Ivoooo! :D :D :D :D

Starlite
05-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I'd love to see Ferrero or Andreev win. :p

Andreev was playing so great on clay before his injury and his match against Roddick yesterday was a great return to form. This year he's made a few wins here and there, so I don't really have any expectations, but I really hope to see him still around next week.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
The young gun from Cyprus :D

NamRanger
05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I predict Ivo might go deep if he gets it going.

diegaa
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Mariano Zabaleta... there isnt a more "black horse" than him. :?

LeftyServe
05-31-2007, 03:36 AM
Ferrer. I project him into the semis against Nadal, and then with a little luck and a lot of tenacity....

Rhino
05-31-2007, 03:48 AM
Jarkko Nieminen

J-man
05-31-2007, 04:42 AM
From that list I picked Igor. He hits a heavy topspinned ball. Very lethal off the forehead and hits it very heavy with Topspin. He can push you back off the baseline and he has good court positioning because of it.

But I would also have to say Davydenko as a good pick for a dark horse. He's playing with so much confidence and is playing great on clay.

Punisha
05-31-2007, 05:06 AM
ivo karvolic he will take it out in straight sets final

ktownva
05-31-2007, 05:40 AM
From that list I picked Igor. He hits a heavy topspinned ball. Very lethal off the forehead and hits it very heavy with Topspin. He can push you back off the baseline and he has good court positioning because of it.

But I would also have to say Davydenko as a good pick for a dark horse. He's playing with so much confidence and is playing great on clay.

Davydenko is a favorite! Definitely not a dark horse. I picked Andreev too. His forehand is massive, he plays like a right-handed Nadal.

Povl Carstensen
05-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Kristian Pless. Beat Nalbandian and took a set of Federer earlier this year...

javier sergio
05-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Mariano Zabaleta... there isnt a more "black horse" than him. :?

I'm with you Diegaa. "el negro Zabaleta". Coming from the qualy as a lucky looser !!!!!!!!

federerfanatic
05-31-2007, 05:47 AM
I picked Andreev but as everyone minus Nadal or Federer is a dark horse in reality, I can think of much better options then the ones on this list. Nadal and Federer are literaly so heavily favored over the rest, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th favorites are all "dark horses" even, none of which this list are.

malakas
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Andreev isn't quite mentally ready to do a great run at a slam yet.In a couple of years,he'll be a great force though.

I picked Baggy of course.Not that he stands a chance against Nadal.Or Djokovic. :rolleyes:

l_gonzalez
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
I say Zabaleta... he has the experience cos he's been around for many years and I think he might do a Mariano Puerta this tournament (minus the doping of course)

I'm not saying he'll make it to the final, but he'll have a good tournament, at least quarters.

Baghdatis72
05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
The young gun from Cyprus :D

Hell yeah! :D

Kristian Pless. Beat Nalbandian and took a set of Federer earlier this year...

No way!

Andreev isn't quite mentally ready to do a great run at a slam yet.In a couple of years,he'll be a great force though.

I picked Baggy of course.Not that he stands a chance against Nadal.Or Djokovic. :rolleyes:

Baghdatis ftw!!!

ktownva
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Bumping my poll - some of these longshots are still alive (not saying who). Come on and vote! If your longshot wins you can later brag about it endlessly!

Andres
06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I say Zabaleta... he has the experience cos he's been around for many years and I think he might do a Mariano Puerta this tournament (minus the doping of course)

I'm not saying he'll make it to the final, but he'll have a good tournament, at least quarters.
Well... ehh.. No.
I had Monaco as a dark horse, but meets Caņas in 4th round and Nalbandian/Davydenko in QF. Tough, man, tough.

J-man
06-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Davydenko is a favorite! Definitely not a dark horse. I picked Andreev too. His forehand is massive, he plays like a right-handed Nadal.I agree Igor is like a right handed Nadal. But I guess you are right about Davydenko being a favorite. But his whole persona throws you off. No one really gives him the light of day.

ximian
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Nobody's mentioned Moya? He's one of the few that can potentially take down Nadal, considering they practice together constantly. He knows Nadal's game, has the experience, and has a nice draw to meet him in the quarters.

Other than Moya, I'd also go for Monaco. An excellent claycourter who is in top form, rolling with a ton of confidence at the moment.