PDA

View Full Version : help with belly

Racquet_Dude_08
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
i want to rid my body of my belly, it aint ginormous or nothin but i would love to get rid of it. whats the best way of doin it in oh say 2 months

Voltron
05-30-2007, 05:48 PM
You want to remove your midsection?!? OK, step one, get a large, sharp object.......;) I'll let someone else take it from here.

Bottle Rocket
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Start running. Get yourself some good running shoes and find a nice neighborhood or some nice trails and go running.

Work your way up to running 3 to 4 10-minute miles 3 to 4 times a week. This will not only help with your "belly" problem, but most likely dramatically improve your tennis game.

The next step, which should begin at the same time as the running, is to quit eating so much.

Besides not eating so much, get rid of certain things in your diet. For example, I completely quit drinking soda's 2 years ago. I've had one or two since then. The difference over a period of time is significant and you'll have a better overall feeling of wellness. Cut out fast food and things like that as well. Drop out fruit juices and things like that too, they have just as much sugar as soda. No more soda.

I used to be in awful shape. This 72 year old man walking by my house saw an old tennis racket in my garage and asked me if I wanted to play (He's around 3 times older than me). We went out in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of summer here, it was probably in the high 90's.

This guy absolutely killed me. It wasn't so much that his tennis was better (although it was), but I was in terrible shape. I could not move after 15 minutes. I was sweating to death, couldn't move my feet, and felt incredibly clumsy... So clumsy, I rolled my ankle. This guy was running down everthing, surely taking pleasure in what he was doing to me. It was at this point I realized I had to get my **** together, so I started running. I did the other things I mentioned above. Not only have I lost a bunch of weight, but the improvement in my tennis has been tremendous. Now I consider a tennis match in the middle of the day to be my advantage. I find a lot of enjoyment in going out and taking a nice long jog now, in fact, I went running today.

forzainter
05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Start running. Get yourself some good running shoes and find a nice neighborhood or some nice trails and go running.

Work your way up to running 3 to 4 10-minute miles 3 to 4 times a week. This will not only help with your "belly" problem, but most likely dramatically improve your tennis game.

The next step, which should begin at the same time as the running, is to quit eating so much.

Besides not eating so much, get rid of certain things in your diet. For example, I completely quit drinking soda's 2 years ago. I've had one or two since then. The difference over a period of time is significant and you'll have a better overall feeling of wellness. Cut out fast food and things like that as well. Drop out fruit juices and things like that too, they have just as much sugar as soda. No more soda.

I used to be in awful shape. This 72 year old man walking by my house saw an old tennis racket in my garage and asked me if I wanted to play (He's around 3 times older than me). We went out in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of summer here, it was probably in the high 90's.

This guy absolutely killed me. It wasn't so much that his tennis was better (although it was), but I was in terrible shape. I could not move after 15 minutes. I was sweating to death, couldn't move my feet, and felt incredibly clumsy... So clumsy, I rolled my ankle. This guy was running down everthing, surely taking pleasure in what he was doing to me. It was at this point I realized I had to get my **** together, so I started running. I did the other things I mentioned above. Not only have I lost a bunch of weight, but the improvement in my tennis has been tremendous. Now I consider a tennis match in the middle of the day to be my advantage. I find a lot of enjoyment in going out and taking a nice long jog now, in fact, I went running today.

did you have a replay and get your revenge?

Bottle Rocket
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I ended up playing the guy every weekend for almost 6 months... I had the game to beat him after just a few months, as well as the conditioning to keep up with him. It took a few more months for the belief, then I consistantly beat him. Now (a few years later) he can't return one of my forehands... He was a big influence on me. I still talk to him all the time and play the occasional doubles match with him.

zapvor
05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
i think soda is key. you dont need that crap.

Sputnik
06-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Just remember that you can't spot reduce. A million crunches will help build the muscle, but you need some serious cardio (running) to burn off the layer of fat. Also remember that the body burns fat in the place that it was last stored; if you are a guy, it will probably be your stomach, but if you are a girl, fat may be reduced from areas such as hips, thighs, and glutes first.

spadesss
06-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Just remember that you can't spot reduce. A million crunches will help build the muscle, but you need some serious cardio (running) to burn off the layer of fat. Also remember that the body burns fat in the place that it was last stored; if you are a guy, it will probably be your stomach, but if you are a girl, fat may be reduced from areas such as hips, thighs, and glutes first.

Sputnik...can't you please give some details and explain "that you can't spot reduce" meant?

Do you mean you can't pick and choose what you should cut but just cut altogether?

todd03blown
06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Sputnik...can't you please give some details and explain "that you can't spot reduce" meant?

Do you mean you can't pick and choose what you should cut but just cut altogether?

spot reduction is the thoughts that some people have that they can reduce only their fat gut, or wide hips or flabby arms. You need to complete and do a total body workout which in turn gets your ENTIRE body into shape.

dave333
06-01-2007, 03:40 PM
No junk food, soda, fast food etc. Eat healthy

Run a lot, but also do sprints for 60 seconds or more. Also if you can find a lot of stairs, do stair running. Hit the gym too. The sprints, stair-running, and working out increase muscle which helps increase metabolism.

TW CSR
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
What everyone has said is totally correct. As for beverages its not just soda to stay away from when trying to lose bodyfat. I would stay away from any type of drink aside from water. Drink lots and lots of water, peeing every hour is weird at first but you'll get used to it. Try to keep your protein intake high when your cutting bodyfat, you do not want to start burning muscle. Also don't eat too much less than 500 calories below your daily maintenance, this will leave you feeling weak, tired, and hungry!!
I would suggest some sort of mild to moderate weight lifting followed by a high intensity run. Lifting weights will help you burn more calories while your body repairs itself even when your just sitting on the couch. Also lifting will help you keep your muscle mass while dropping body fat.

forzainter
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I ended up playing the guy every weekend for almost 6 months... I had the game to beat him after just a few months, as well as the conditioning to keep up with him. It took a few more months for the belief, then I consistantly beat him. Now (a few years later) he can't return one of my forehands... He was a big influence on me. I still talk to him all the time and play the occasional doubles match with him.
thats nice to know, thanks for answering

10usDad
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
What are some good snack foods while in your exercise program. I need something that is filling!

chess9
06-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Running is good, but remember running can be catabolic. I would combine running with some solid weight training and the proper diet (eating the right ratios at the right time). Weight training burns more calories after the training than running does. Of course, you must lift very heavy. None of that 50 reps stuff. HEAVY. Heavy will burn fat. It takes time though. You can change about 1% of your body each day. So a new body takes about 100 days. :) Well, sort of.... But, you get the idea.

-Robert

OrangeOne
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Of course, you must lift very heavy. None of that 50 reps stuff. HEAVY. Heavy will burn fat.

Robert: are you implying EPOC is higher for lower-rep, higher-weight activity than for higher-rep, lower-weight activity? I would have thought that as long as one lifted to failure it'd be similar, but I'm keen to hear your thoughts...

Ano
06-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Robert: are you implying EPOC is higher for lower-rep, higher-weight activity than for higher-rep, lower-weight activity? I would have thought that as long as one lifted to failure it'd be similar, but I'm keen to hear your thoughts...

Hi, OO, please let me chime in.

IMO, the answer is yes. I admit, I have NOT seen a study that shows this (if any of you guy knows a study about this, please let me know).

Chris Aceto (the trainer of current Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler) says this in his book called EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FAT LOSS : "The fastest way to lose fat is with hard, heavy, to failure weight training with 6-12 reps. Don't rely on aerobics exclusively".

EDIT: I should also add this : other experts such as John Berardi, Phd in his book called Metabolism Advantage and Craig Ballantyne, MS, CSCS, in his Turbulance Training program also recommend heavy weight training (5-8 reps) to boost your metabolism.

Note : to other members who don't know what EPOC is, EPOC is Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption . Scientifically, it's defined as "recovery of metabolic rate back to pre-exercise levels"

spadesss
06-04-2007, 07:35 AM
spot reduction is the thoughts that some people have that they can reduce only their fat gut, or wide hips or flabby arms. You need to complete and do a total body workout which in turn gets your ENTIRE body into shape.

thanks for the explainantion.

Question: is 100% Orange Juice or Carrot Juice alright?
It does contained a lot of sugar but its natural.
Its easier to drink OJ so I tried to drink OJ on a daily basis (takes too much time and effort to buy and machine carrot juice.)

chess9
06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi, OO, please let me chime in.

IMO, the answer is yes. I admit, I have NOT seen a study that shows this (if any of you guy knows a study about this, please let me know).

Chris Aceto (the trainer of current Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler) says this in his book called EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FAT LOSS : "The fastest way to lose fat is with hard, heavy, to failure weight training with 6-12 reps. Don't rely on aerobics exclusively".

EDIT: I should also add this : other experts such as John Berardi, Phd in his book called Metabolism Advantage and Craig Ballantyne, MS, CSCS, in his Turbulance Training program also recommend heavy weight training (5-8 reps) to boost your metabolism.

Note : to other members who don't know what EPOC is, EPOC is Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption . Scientifically, it's defined as "recovery of metabolic rate back to pre-exercise levels"

Right on Ryano! I got that from Berardi. www.johnberardi.com Sometimes the top trainers are in front of the curve, and I happen to think so in this case. But, it's just an opinion based upon thousands of hours of training individuals and himself, so JB could be wrong.

By the way, he's also recommending 6-8 grams TO START of Omega 3s for fat loss and cardio health. That's a lot of fish oil. <burp> :)

Good stuff.

-Robert

chris1992
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
my dad used to be a fitness trainer and now has a similar problem. he says that you should aim to run around 4km, 3times a week at a sensible pace for you. on top of that aim to do 5 sets of 25 situps, 3 times a week and another great excercise is to lie on your back stretching out, and keeping your feet together and head down, lift your feet off the ground 3 inches and hold for maximum 2 minutes.

Ano
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
thanks for the explainantion.

Question: is 100% Orange Juice or Carrot Juice alright?
It does contained a lot of sugar but its natural.
Its easier to drink OJ so I tried to drink OJ on a daily basis (takes too much time and effort to buy and machine carrot juice.)

When maximum fat loss is your goal and you're watching your calories closely, drinking a large portion of your calories is NOT a good idea. You should drink non calorie beverage. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and perhaps 2-3 cups of green tea/day (without sugar).

A large glass of 100 % orange juice contains 200 calories, a medium orange contains only 60. The whole fruit has more fiber and lower calorie density.

Remember this : you get more vitamins, minerals and fiber when you eat the fruit instead of drinking the juice.

Ano
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Right on Ryano! I got that from Berardi. www.johnberardi.com Sometimes the top trainers are in front of the curve, and I happen to think so in this case. But, it's just an opinion based upon thousands of hours of training individuals and himself, so JB could be wrong.

By the way, he's also recommending 6-8 grams TO START of Omega 3s for fat loss and cardio health. That's a lot of fish oil. <burp> :)

Good stuff.

-Robert

Yup.

Craig Ballantyne, the author of Turbulence Training
( www.TurbulenceTraining.com ) says :

"In the last 10 years, research has shown us two very important things about exercising for fat loss. First, heavier weights leads to burning more calories after the workout when compared to lifting light weights. So that's why 8 repetitions per set is better than 12 reps per set. And that's one of the foundations of Turbulence Training.

And the second groundbreaking discovery about fat loss is that interval training is superior to slow, steady cardio for fat loss and post-exercise calorie burning (EPOC). So it is more effective and more efficient to use short high intensity interval training workouts than to use slow, long cardio sessions."

spadesss
06-05-2007, 04:30 AM
When maximum fat loss is your goal and you're watching your calories closely, drinking a large portion of your calories is NOT a good idea. You should drink non calorie beverage. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and perhaps 2-3 cups of green tea/day (without sugar).

A large glass of 100 % orange juice contains 200 calories, a medium orange contains only 60. The whole fruit has more fiber and lower calorie density.

Remember this : you get more vitamins, minerals and fiber when you eat the fruit instead of drinking the juice.

i guessed laziness and convenince is the key to get fat!!!