PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a hole from toe-drag

bank5
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I bought a pair of Asics Gel Sensations and tore a hole through the toe in a few weeks. Has anyone had anyone tried repairing holes from toe drag? If so what did you do and how'd it work out?

Voltron
05-30-2007, 06:51 PM
edit: Nuke will tell you that you need "shoe goo", I've heard it's good, but I don't actually know what it is or where to find it.

alcap26
05-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Just google shoe goo and you will get tons of sites that sell it.

Nuke
05-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah, Shoe Goo. Buy it at Wal*Mart or Sports Authority. A very similar competing product is Kiwi Shoe & Boot Repair, which you can find at Walgreens and some shoe repair places.

If you always wear out the same spot on your shoes, try using the Goo BEFORE you need it. Build up the spot that keeps wearing out, and reapply as you wear down the Goo. I put the stuff on brand new shoes right out of the box, and I make them last forever, until the uppers give out.

AR15
05-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Duct Tape.

Didn't you know, it will fix anything?

rasajadad
05-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Next time buy shoes with an outsole warranty. The shoe goo won't last a set and a half!

Nuke
05-31-2007, 06:08 AM
The Shoe Goo does need to be reapplied often. I leave it in my garage and take my tennis shoes off when I come in from tennis and add another layer of Goo, nearly every time I play, to build up the spots where it's getting thin. Playing on hard courts, a single layer of goo lasts me a couple of hours, but after a few applications, you build up a thicker layer that lasts longer.

zapvor
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Duct Tape.

classic. duct tape does fix everything

goosala
06-03-2007, 10:22 PM
My solution: Buy new shoes.

soggyramen
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Next time buy shoes with an outsole warranty. The shoe goo won't last a set and a half!

the toe part isn't part of the outsole DUR lol

CleverLob
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Shoo-Goo is a bunch of crap imo, what I found that really works is freesole, it's not as thick as shoogoo, and it's a little runnier, but when you apply it it's like putting the original rubber back on your shoe. I think it's really only sold online, but if you have the time, I'd say give it a try.

xtremerunnerars
06-09-2007, 04:48 PM
the toe part isn't part of the outsole DUR lol

While that's technically true...the hole that you create will often expand in size to the point where it DOES include the outsole.

zapvor
06-09-2007, 11:32 PM
While that's technically true...the hole that you create will often expand in size to the point where it DOES include the outsole.

yea and as far as i know new balance honors that. i dont know about the other companies

Michelangelo
06-10-2007, 09:35 AM
My solution: Buy new shoes.
Yes, it solves your problem, but hurts your wallet as well!

Nuke
06-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Shoo-Goo is a bunch of crap imo, what I found that really works is freesole
I know it must seem like I'm a rep for Shoe Goo, but really I'm just a cheapskate who likes to make my shoes last when I find a pair I really like. I haven't seen Freesole before, and I don't see any mention of it on this forum before your post.

Just googling around, I see that Freesole costs roughly the same as Shoe Goo, but you only get half the amount (1.5 ounces for Freesole vs 3.7 for Shoe Goo). Comments on the web indicate that it may be slippery on a wet court, but I do notice the same problem with Shoe Goo, because it fills in the tread and creates a flat sole that you can hydroplane on.

I'll probably give Freesole a try, so thanks for pointing us to it, but do you think it lasts twice as long as Shoe Goo, to make up for the fact that you only get half as much? Does it stick well to most shoes? There's no point in having a long-lasting coating of rubber if it falls off instead of sticking well and wearing through. Shoe Goo does stick better on some brands of shoes than others. There's also some instructions on the net about cleaning the shoes with some sort of solvent before applying the Freesole. Is this really necessary, or just an attempt to sell us more stuff from the manufacturer?

Sorry for so many questions, Cleverlob. You probably weren't planning on being the spokesman for this product, but I don't see anybody else on the forum talking about it and I'm interested in knowing more. Shoe Goo and the Kiwi stuff have worked well for me, but I'll drop it in a heartbeat if I find something better. I hate throwing out comfortable shoes because one spot has worn through.

einalbert
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
I bought a pair of Asics Gel Sensations and tore a hole through the toe in a few weeks. Has anyone had anyone tried repairing holes from toe drag? If so what did you do and how'd it work out?

I USE A KIT FROM 10STOE.COM. IT TAKES FIVE MINUTES. I HAVE HAD IT ON FOR 8 MONTHS. GOING STRONG I PUT A PATCH THAT GOES FROM UNDER THE TOE TO THE SIDEWALL OF THE SHOE.

TheShaun
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I USE A KIT FROM 10STOE.COM. IT TAKES FIVE MINUTES. I HAVE HAD IT ON FOR 8 MONTHS. GOING STRONG I PUT A PATCH THAT GOES FROM UNDER THE TOE TO THE SIDEWALL OF THE SHOE.

looks like crazy glue and a chopped up tennis ball.

scotus
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Just switch your service motion to platform.

I have ... it only took 3 days to make a complete transition, and I don't get holes on my shoes anymore.

dejavu
02-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Freesole is the best (period)

The_Question
02-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Shoe Goo is just a layer of soft rubber coating when you apply it. It's almost like silicon, soft and able to be rubbed off by hands.

Not the best in the world, but it's worth a try.

I tried it once for gluing a shoe. It didn't go too well...

albino smurf
02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Make a patch with duct tape and then coat it with glue from a hot glue gun. Smooth out the glue with an ice cube. It is more durable than shoe goo.

Pantaloukas
02-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Duct Tape.

This .

einalbert
03-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Try 10stoe.com Ask for toe draggers special.

Nuke
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, the 10stoe instructions look like it's just sections of rubber cut out of old tennis balls, and you glue it to the shoe with Krazy Glue. You know, it's just stupid enough to work, but the final photo sure makes the sole look ugly.

whoopinstick
03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
use a band-aid

MegacedU
03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't repair it. It messes with the structural integrity of the show and can mess with the support. Return the shoes. Any tennis show should last more than a couple of weeks regardless of how badly you drag your toe. I've done it with a pair of Nikes at D-I-C-K's sporting goods store.

einalbert
03-07-2009, 03:09 PM
See the photo for a fix to toe dragger's at 10stoe.com

xtremerunnerars
03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
einalbert--leave these forums. Nobody wants your spamming BS here.

Learn some HTML and some English while you're away because your phishing site is one of the worst i've ever seen.

I agree with Meg and others. Buy new shoes!

tennisguyak
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Go to your local tailor/shoe repair guy. They can apply new athletic soles for about ten bucks which should last you about a month - month 1/2.

Thats what I did for my Adidas CC UE.