PDA

View Full Version : It's been about two months and I'm ...

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 09:26 AM
going to need a new string job soon.

I am a 3.5 player (with a lot of spin) and I have a Wilson Triad 3 MP ISO. I'm looking for a string that gives the absolute best playability that will not cost me more than $18.

Right now I'm mostly thinking about the Wilson NXT Tour 17. Any other recommendations or comments on the NXT?

I'm also seeking advice for tension. My racket was strung at 58, with the Wilson NXT Max 16, but I feel that the strings moved too much. My racket can handle 53-63, which tension do you think I should string it at? I'm thinking 60, is that too much for the string or racket?

Thanks a lot, any comment will be a lot of help!

Steve Huff
09-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I'd try the new Technifibre BiPhase. But, for $18, you could do a natural gut hybrid (of course, you'd have to buy enough for 2 rackets), which I think plays better than the NXT or TF.

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm looking only at synthetic gut, natural gut seems like too much of a hassle. Also, I would prefer not to pay more than $16 unless the string is just amazing.

Now I'm split between the Wilson NXT Tour 17 and Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17, which do you guys think is better. The Tecnifibre one is newer right? Does that mean it's also better?

perfmode
09-26-2004, 01:30 PM
noob

finchy
09-26-2004, 01:43 PM
bow brand nat gut is only $18.

Ronaldo
09-26-2004, 01:54 PM
You got two months on a Triad string job w/synthetic gut! Know players that are lucky to get a WEEK. You rock. Babolat X-cel and NXT OS are sweet multis.

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Alright, I am a "noob" that's why I'm asking this, so what? Anyway, I decided to consider natural gut since everyone says its so great and it's also not that expensive.

Anyway, I read up a bit more and these are the top three strings I'm considering in order of best to worst:

Bow Brand Championship Natural Gut 16L String
Wilson NXT Tour 17 String
Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 String

Is the Bob Brand Gut really better than all of these synthetic ones in terms of playability and comfort? How does the durability of these strings compare? I'm bettign that gut won't even last half as much as the Wilson Tour 17 :(

BTW: I've only played about 6 hours a week and even the NXT "MAX" is showing serious wear. I bet it will brake next week or so since now I play with heavy spin. The first month I was rarely putting spin... Yes, I sucked really bad.

MChong
09-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Actually, I think that NXT rates really poorly in durability. I tried it and broke it in a couple days on a MegaAge1, but the Bow Brand Natural Gut lasted at least two-three weeks, and I am a chronic string breaker using a full western forehand... I really don't like the feeling of NXTs; they feel kind of dead or something. The BiPhase feels pretty lively though, but you can't go wrong with gut for just a few more bucks.

kninetik
09-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Tried both Xone Biphase and NXT Tour 17's. Right now, just because of the really cool free T-shirt, I'd go for the X-one. But if Tshirt wasn't a factor, I'd prefer NXT Tour by a very small margin.

David Pavlich
09-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Keep in mind that the string movement you have is due at least in part to the fact that you have a 16X20 string pattern in a 115 sqin head. That means that you have very long mains and not a whole lot of crosses to hold them in place. If you hit with any spin at all you will experience string movement.

If you got 2 months out of a set of strings and you hit with a western forehand, you have done VERY well. I learned to string years ago because I had a son that broke strings in 3 SETS. Mind you, he strung at 72 lbs with 17 gauge syngut, but it is a far cry from 2 months.

David

perfmode
09-26-2004, 05:19 PM
It really doesn't matter what you use to string your trampoline.

"Strings don't make you play better. Strings make a good player play his best."

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Keep in mind that the string movement you have is due at least in part to the fact that you have a 16X20 string pattern in a 115 sqin head. That means that you have very long mains and not a whole lot of crosses to hold them in place. If you hit with any spin at all you will experience string movement.

Well, it's actually a 100 sq in head. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-T3M.html But, yes the pattern and tension are probably more at fault than the strings. Also, isn't 16x20 supposed to be better for spin?

LOL, I doubt many people (except even bigger noobs than me) feel the same way as you.

Anyway, it seems that the consensus is that the Bow Brand Gut will give me the best playability for the price and even durability. I can't believe synthetic gut is still not better than nasty beef gut. :p

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty much set on Bow Brand and I have one more question.. How does durabiltiy between the 17 and 16 L compare? If it's thinner it's ebtter for playability, but less durable, right? But, how much less, will I even notice?

K!ck5w3rvE
09-26-2004, 09:38 PM
exigentskyLOL, I doubt many people (except even bigger noobs than me) feel the same way as you

I do.

bcaz
09-26-2004, 10:04 PM
The 16L is quite thin, plays like a 17. It would probably be more durable than the Bow 17. I have a set of the 17 but haven't used it yet -- I've had good results with the 16L. One factor to keep in mind with Bow: most of the sets sold here on TW are short, while a couple of the Bow products are closer to standard length. This is more important when stringing a racquet with a larger head. Be sure to get the stringing instructions and to measure the Bow before stringing. With your racquet, it should be okay for an all-gut job, but it may be dicey to cut it for hybriding two string jobs.

exigentsky
09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
I guess I'll go with the 16L since I want durability too. Also, I do not know how to string it myself ( I don't have a stringing machine) and it's annoying that paying someone to string it costs as much as the string :( Arghh...

Tennis Guy
09-27-2004, 12:47 PM
exigentskyLOL, I doubt many people (except even bigger noobs than me) feel the same way as you

I do.
Me too.

exigentsky
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Well what level are you guys? If you're 2.0 or 1.5 I guess it wouldn't matter. THough, I think any higher than 3 you would care a bit.

David Pavlich
09-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Well, it's actually a 100 sq in head. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-T3M.html But, yes the pattern and tension are probably more at fault than the strings. Also, isn't 16x20 supposed to be better for spin?

LOL, I doubt many people (except even bigger noobs than me) feel the same way as you.

Anyway, it seems that the consensus is that the Bow Brand Gut will give me the best playability for the price and even durability. I can't believe synthetic gut is still not better than nasty beef gut. :p

Sorry, I didn't notice that it's a mp frame. Still, 2 months on a set of strings is quite good, unless you're only playing once every week.

David

exigentsky
09-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes it is quite good, I playe tennis about 2x a week for a few hours each time. However, I do not hit all that hard and I have only begun to apply heavy spin recently.

christo
09-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Go with TF E- Matrix 16g for $5 and find a guy who'll string your racquet for $10 and you're home free.

exigentsky
09-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Isn't that even worse than my current NXT Max 11?

Exxion
09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
I agree w/ perf