PDA

View Full Version : Federer complains about scheduling at FO

Defcon
05-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Federer was not happy about the way his 2nd round match was scheduled. They made him play last on Suzanne Lenglen (never mind its not center court, thats kinda ok) knowing full well that there was little chance of play being completed. It was only Fed's complete dominance in the quick 1st 2 sets that let him barely close out the match in time.

Fed doesn't like to play late because its dark and hard to see the ball. He wanted to stop play in 2005 against Nadal due to similar conditions but they made him play on in the dark.

On top of everything, the forecast for today was rain so the organizers must have expected Fed's match to not finish. Fed was lucky there was no rain.

Its one thing to schedule local favorites on the show courts. But every other slam gladly accommodates requests from the top players about scheduling (within limits) and would never do something like this.

Tsunami
05-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Federer was not happy about the way his 2nd round match was scheduled. They made him play last on Suzanne Lenglen (never mind its not center court, thats kinda ok) knowing full well that there was little chance of play being completed. It was only Fed's complete dominance in the quick 1st 2 sets that let him barely close out the match in time.

Fed doesn't like to play late because its dark and hard to see the ball. He wanted to stop play in 2005 against Nadal due to similar conditions but they made him play on in the dark.

On top of everything, the forecast for today was rain so the organizers must have expected Fed's match to not finish. Fed was lucky there was no rain.

Its one thing to schedule local favorites on the show courts. But every other slam gladly accommodates requests from the top players about scheduling (within limits) and would never do something like this.

Definitely agree with him, nuff said

Rhino
05-31-2007, 01:29 AM
I think it was a shrewd move on Federers part to make a fuss.
When a number one player in the world makes a statement like that the organisers will listen and from now on I bet he isn't scheduled 4th or 5th match of the day.
As it happens the weather is great today so far.
BTW, notice the RG website didn't print Federers interview for day 4? :)

urban
05-31-2007, 01:53 AM
The modern players shouldn't complain about scheduling.Until the 70/80s is was normal, that top players had to go to outside courts. When Laver was on his way to the GS, they put him in the second round Wim against Indian Lall way on an outside court (nr. 12 or 14), whith only 100 onlookers. He had to come from behind in 5 to win the last 15 games. Nowadays top players have the advantage to play always on Centre or Nr.1 courts, which makes life substantially easier. On outside courts ousiders would have much better chances; on the big showcourts they are intimitaded by the surroundings. Look what happened to Sampras at Wim against Bastl. One remark on the competition: If i see the line of players, to whom Sampras lost early (1rst-3rd round) at RG (Norman, Medwedew, Schaller, Gaudenzi, Flipper (ok no clay courter), Blanco) i have the feeling, that these not top class, but still solid and dangerous clay courters have faded away. It seems to be easier to go through the early rounds now.

Peter Szucs
05-31-2007, 01:55 AM
I think he should stay quiet. He is at the end of the day just a player on the tour. His ranking allows him to avoid seeded players in the first rounds but no other privilege over other players.

forzainter
05-31-2007, 01:56 AM

it was actually raining, quite a bit actually, but i guess they thought that federer should go through this guy so easy they can schedule it really late

AAAA
05-31-2007, 03:30 AM
The modern players shouldn't complain about scheduling.Until the 70/80s is was normal, that top players had to go to outside courts. When Laver was on his way to the GS, they put him in the second round Wim against Indian Lall way on an outside court (nr. 12 or 14), whith only 100 onlookers. He had to come from behind in 5 to win the last 15 games. Nowadays top players have the advantage to play always on Centre or Nr.1 courts, which makes life substantially easier. On outside courts ousiders would have much better chances; on the big showcourts they are intimitaded by the surroundings. Look what happened to Sampras at Wim against Bastl. One remark on the competition: If i see the line of players, to whom Sampras lost early (1rst-3rd round) at RG (Norman, Medwedew, Schaller, Gaudenzi, Flipper (ok no clay courter), Blanco) i have the feeling, that these not top class, but still solid and dangerous clay courters have faded away. It seems to be easier to go through the early rounds now.

Federer was complaining about the late start of his match far more than the choice of court.

J-man
05-31-2007, 03:37 AM
To tell you the truth for 9:00 PM there was still enough daylight out. I mean it was getting dark but I think he was fine. It sounds like an excuse for such a tight 3 set.

AAAA
05-31-2007, 03:39 AM
To tell you the truth for 9:00 PM there was still enough daylight out. I mean it was getting dark but I think he was fine. It sounds like an excuse for such a tight 3 set.

Did you watch the match live in person on Lenglen court?

tintin
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm sure Federer would of liked it more if the organizers had postponed his match for the next day and make him play 2 matches in 1 day right Defcon instead of playing late with light and no rain and no wind?:roll::roll:
and btw they always put local players on CC so don't you try to start anything :rolleyes:

poplar
05-31-2007, 05:39 AM

I was expecting him to complain and i am glad he did. to be honest, nobody should be expected to play into the night. it seemed like there was enough light, but actually the feel of ball would be affected because the light was dim, just like when you drive around sunset, your feel of the speed isn't as accurate as in broad daylight.

there are excused about loss, but i never heard of excuses about a tight win. a win is a win. now you guys are making a fuss about federer's complain. if other players complain about the scheduling, maybe you'll have more sympathy?

with all the unpredictable weather, FO should add the light so they'll have night matches and more flexibility.

oscar_2424
05-31-2007, 05:41 AM

what a crybaby

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
05-31-2007, 05:48 AM

Maybe u should post the article or interview in which he was complaining.....

BESIDES, I think it is harder to play tennis when the visibility is low, I think he has the right to complain.

sureshs
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Federer has every right to complain. Whether Laver played in such conditions is not the point. People are more aware of their rights now. Playing tennis in the dark is not some heroic act to be admired.

CanadianChic
05-31-2007, 05:52 AM

Yeah, except he's not just a fan favourite - he is the #1 player in the world, and with that position, he is awarded certain privileges. Once the others get to that level, they will have just as much right to complain. Pampered and spoiled or reaping the benefits of his hard work?

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 05:56 AM
I hate playing when I can't see the ball. i guess it's just me.

drakulie
05-31-2007, 06:16 AM
I use the force when playing in complete darkness.

CanadianChic
05-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh, I have a feeling that you would never have to use the force when playing in complete darkness my little Yoda. ;)

t.vo408
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
I was expecting him to complain and i am glad he did. to be honest, nobody should be expected to play into the night. it seemed like there was enough light, but actually the feel of ball would be affected because the light was dim, just like when you drive around sunset, your feel of the speed isn't as accurate as in broad daylight.

Did his opponent complain? Surely this would affect both players equally so I don't see anything wrong with a little less light.

rafan
05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Fed was right to complain - he is number 1 and deserves the best court and also able to chose his timing - but one strange thing I cannot understand about last night - Fed said he could not see the ball properly - but what about the other chap who could see it all too well!!

poplar
05-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Did his opponent complain? Surely this would affect both players equally so I don't see anything wrong with a little less light.

does his opponent wear contact lenses? do you know for sure that he didn't complain or the press didn't repot his complaint?

poplar
05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I think Fed was right to complain - he is number 1 and deserves the best court and also able to chose his timing - but one strange thing I cannot understand about last night - Fed said he could not see the ball properly - but what about the other chap who could see it all too well!!

some people hate driving at night coz they can't see too well in the dark, while others have no problem with it at all. not all people are the same.

drakulie
05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
does his opponent wear contact lenses? do you know for sure that he didn't complain or the press didn't repot his complaint?

Maybe he should switch to larger contact lenses, so he stops "shanking" his eyesight. :)

Defcon
05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
And today looks like its rained out. Fed would've been royally po'd if his match had not finished!

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 09:27 AM

didn't u have a yoda av before?

well, not everyone's a jedi master.

drakulie
05-31-2007, 09:29 AM
^^^ yes I did. It will be back soon.

ShooterMcMarco
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Oh, I have a feeling that you would never have to use the force when playing in complete darkness my little Yoda. ;)

Oh stop it you two. Keep it G-rated please. Drakulie has a little yoda?

happy 2000th post to me :)

drakulie
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Congrats shooter!

Roger is Boring
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
lol what a crybaby.he tried to pull that stunt when he played nadal a few years ago too-his bad sporting behavior is nothing new .

that federer- always looking for an excuse for when he losses :D

Rhino
06-01-2007, 08:09 AM

ummm check your scoreboard again, he destroyed Ascione in straight sets.

He was smart to make a fuss about playing in bad light. You'll find from now on he never has to deal with playing another late match again (see todays for instance), he knows what he's doing.

Moose Malloy
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
The modern players shouldn't complain about scheduling.Until the 70/80s is was normal, that top players had to go to outside courts. When Laver was on his way to the GS, they put him in the second round Wim against Indian Lall way on an outside court (nr. 12 or 14), whith only 100 onlookers. He had to come from behind in 5 to win the last 15 games.

Why would they put him on that court? The reason top players are put on show courts is because more fans want to see them, I imagine most fans at Wimbledon 1969 wanted to see Laver, so that doesn't make sense. But then again not much made sense about the pro tennis schedule in the early years of the open era.

One remark on the competition: If i see the line of players, to whom Sampras lost early (1rst-3rd round) at RG (Norman, Medwedew, Schaller, Gaudenzi, Flipper (ok no clay courter), Blanco) i have the feeling, that these not top class, but still solid and dangerous clay courters have faded away. It seems to be easier to go through the early rounds now.

I was thinking the same thing, after watching Nadal & Federer destroy their early round opponents. Not even Guga or Muster were winning this easily on clay in the early rounds 10 years ago.

Rhino
06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I was thinking the same thing, after watching Nadal & Federer destroy their early round opponents. Not even Guga or Muster were winning this easily on clay in the early rounds 10 years ago.

Only to be expected when we're witnessing the greatest tennis player ever to have lived and the greatest clay courter in history so far (for about another 8 days anyway).

malakas
06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Only to be expected when we're witnessing the greatest tennis player ever to have lived and the greatest clay courter in history so far (for about another 8 days anyway).

hehe yes.It's not problem of the competition.It's because Roger and Rafa are that good.:) Makes you feel lucky to be able to watch them play.

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
lol what a crybaby.he tried to pull that stunt when he played nadal a few years ago too-his bad sporting behavior is nothing new .

It's nice to see you come out of your hole, especially after than clay bagel Nadal ate two weeks ago.

By the way, you need to update your sig. It's 7-4 now remember?

Rhino
06-01-2007, 08:46 AM

haha well spotted BigServer1!
It's funny how rogerisboring is always talking about Roger. It's Roger this, Roger that, Roger blah, blah, blah. If he finds him so boring there are plenty of other players to talk about, but he seems to actually find him the opposite of boring.

poplar
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
haha well spotted BigServer1!
It's funny how rogerisboring is always talking about Roger. It's Roger this, Roger that, Roger blah, blah, blah. If he finds him so boring there are plenty of other players to talk about, but he seems to actually find him the opposite of boring.

actually roger is all he talks about. he doesn't even talk much about nadal.

crazylevity
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
actually roger is all he talks about. he doesn't even talk much about nadal.

Si si...that makes him, erm, wat u call in English...a troll, no?

t.vo408
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Well my main point was that when its getting dark, its getting dark for both players. Their environment is the same for both, I did not take into account people who have trouble seeing at night. Why doesn't he get lasik?

:confused:

Nadal_Freak
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
It's nice to see you come out of your hole, especially after than clay bagel Nadal ate two weeks ago.

I'd rather 7-4 than 4-7. :D

Colpo
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Fed's always been a guy who thinks that his #1 ranking entitles him to both favorable scheduling and the right to open his mouth when he doesn't get his way. Remember his tongue-wagging at the US Open about never getting a night match? Poor you, and Vamos Rafa.

mucat
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Well my main point was that when its getting dark, its getting dark for both players. Their environment is the same for both, I did not take into account people who have trouble seeing at night. Why doesn't he get lasik?

:confused:

Because the worst the condition for both player, the more advantage will be to the worse player. Because both player will be playing against the environment instead of each other.

In the more extreme cases, if both players play in complete darkness, the better player will be just as bad as the worse player. Heck, I might get a point out of Federer if both of us are blindfolded. Or if play in a extremely windy (storm) situation, etc.

tlm
06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Fed is just a big crybaby, he always has been.There are just so many of you here that are so in love with him, you just cant see it!!

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd rather 7-4 than 4-7. :D

I'd rather have 10 Grand Slam trophies than 2, but I guess to each their own...

J-man
06-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Fed is just a big crybaby, he always has been.There are just so many of you here that are so in love with him, you just cant see it!!He complains about alot of things. But when the sh*t hits the fan, he should be ready for it.

AAAA
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Fed is just a big crybaby, he always has been.There are just so many of you here that are so in love with him, you just cant see it!!

wrong! We can see it and we just don't care!

drakulie
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd rather have 10 Grand Slam trophies than 2, but I guess to each their own...

OWNED!

Also, I would rather be the current King Of Clay than a has-been who got bageled in his last final on clay.

tlm
06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Good point aaaa, you are at least honest.Because that is the truth anyone can see it but if you are a fed lover it doesnt matter what he says or does it is okay.Even though if other players did the same thing you would be all over them.

boojay
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I feel bad for Nadal Freak, he's like 0-80 against everyone.

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Good point aaaa, you are at least honest.Because that is the truth anyone can see it but if you are a fed lover it doesnt matter what he says or does it is okay.Even though if other players did the same thing you would be all over them.

I think any player has the right to complain about playing in darkness. I'm sure if Nadal had a similar situation you would feel totally different about it.

tlm
06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
He wasnt playing in the dark, just like a couple of years ago when nadal kicked his ***.He was crying it is to dark wa wa wa, he is a big crybaby its that simple.

Nadal_Freak
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
OWNED!

Also, I would rather be the current King Of Clay than a has-been who got bageled in his last final on clay.
Very current. His reign will end in the hands of Nadal in 9 days. ;)

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 02:51 PM
He wasnt playing in the dark, just like a couple of years ago when nadal kicked his ***.He was crying it is to dark wa wa wa, he is a big crybaby its that simple.

I'm glad to see that you're so objective...

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Man, you have been active the last couple of weeks. I pose this as a serious question: What are you going to do if Nadal loses? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but what if it does? You'll have to hide under a rock for a while or something...

drakulie
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Either way, He is the Current King of Clay.

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 03:22 PM
a has-been who got bageled in his last final on clay.
Yup, a player who's almost 21, with two grand slams titles and 21 titles in total is such a loser and only tennis players who have 10 slam titles deserve respect.

drakulie
06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Yup, a player who's almost 21, with two grand slams titles and 21 titles in total

ahhh, don't bring up old stuff. That's all in the past.

oscar_2424
06-01-2007, 03:27 PM

fed troll!!

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Okay...you're just trolling.

Not interested in talking to you.

drakulie
06-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Okay...you're just trolling.

Not interested in talking to you.

who said we were talking? I'm typing. Do you mean to tell me you actually talk out loud to the screen as if I was actually listenening? LMAO!

oscar_2424
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Cmon guys give peace a chance!

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
who said we were talking? I'm typing. Do you mean to tell me you actually talk out loud to the screen as if I was actually listenening? LMAO!
I'm sure that this is actually hilarious in your own mind but it's neither clever as a reply nor is it funny. Being ad rem is not your strong point, I think.

But keep it up. You're only making a fool out of yourself.

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sure that this is actually hilarious in your own mind but it's neither clever as a reply nor is it funny. Being ad rem is not your strong point, I think.

But keep it up. You're only making a fool out of yourself.

Do you understand irony? Drak's posts over the last few weeks are laden with it. As soon as fed lost a couple of matches, Nadal was obviously going to ascend to #1, and Fed's career (according to the trolls) was over and he needed a new, bigger, easier to wield racquet that could hopefully be attached to his walker. Drakulie is merely pointing how how asinine all of those posts were. Hopefully this adds some context to your argument.

boojay
06-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd say drak does a fine Nadal Troll impersonation.

BRAVO! *claps*

oscar_2424
06-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd say drak does a fine Nadal Troll impersonation.

BRAVO! *claps*

actually he uses capri shorts

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Do you understand irony? Drak's posts over the last few weeks are laden with it.
Oh, are you two partners?
I haven't been here in the last few weeks but thanks for the explanation.

The last reply to me by this Drak person was still stupid, though.
"who said we were talking? I'm typing. Do you mean to tell me you actually talk out loud to the screen as if I was actually listenening? LMAO!"
I mean, come on.

drakulie
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Damn, you guys stole my thunder! But thanks anyways guys >>> its been fun! I will now reveal my true identity and go back to the Yoda avatar!

voila!

oscar_2424
06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Damn, you guys stole my thunder! But thanks anyways guys >>> its been fun! I will now reveal my true identity and go back to the Yoda avatar!

voila!

yoda should use a babolat racquet!

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh, are you two partners?
I haven't been here in the last few weeks but thanks for the explanation.

The last reply to me by this Drak person was still stupid, though.
"who said we were talking? I'm typing. Do you mean to tell me you actually talk out loud to the screen as if I was actually listenening? LMAO!"
I mean, come on.

LOL, whatever you need to think to make yourself feel better.

Of course Drak's last response to you was stupid. It was a stupid response inside of a stupid thread about a stupid topic. I think that's most of the point. I love tennis, but this Nadal-Fed fan rival gets to be too much. The IQ of this board goes way down when they (might) play.

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
The IQ of this board goes way down when they (might) play.
Oh, I agree.

I'm just surprised to see you defend Drak so quickly after that oh, so witty reply so I assumed that you guys perhaps work as a tag team. Is it to see how low the IQ of the board can really go? You know: in a "anything stupid you say, I can match it and go even lower" way?

Why not ignore the stupid trolls (instead of becoming one yourself, like in Drak's case) and start an *gasp* interesting conversation?

drakulie
06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Why not ignore the stupid trolls (instead of becoming one yourself, like in Drak's case) and start an *gasp* interesting conversation?

As you said, you haven't been here the last few weeks and have no idea what it has been like. Would it be nice to have intelligent conversations even if their is disagreement? Absolutely!

Unfortunately, it has been impossible. So, it is much better to give them their own medicine rather than let them continue to overwhelm the boards with their unbelievable stupidity. Quite frankly, whether you agree with the tactics or not>>> it has been working.

Steve Dykstra
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Drak was a troll to begin with, although to a lesser extent. But he is not the first frequent poster sucked into this mess. Grimjack used to be a great knowledgable poster a very long time ago and now they have changed him to a borderline Fed troll/Nadal hater. Same with SoBad more recently. Federerfanatic used to be less of a troll back when he had that other screen name (I can't think of the name right now, had federer and some swimmer in the name).

The Nadal trolls, on the other hand, seem to just appear from thin air rather than being formed over time.

Rataplan
06-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve Dykstra.

I used to come here more often some time ago but this entire mess is just utterly pointless to me. The sad thing for me is that I registered on this site because there were a lot of interesting conversations here with a lot of real tennis fans (people who actually play tennis regularly themselves).
Now, it's just a warzone (with ups and downs) with trolls defending their actions by pointing to other trolls.

BigServer1
06-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve Dykstra.

I used to come here more often some time ago but this entire mess is just utterly pointless to me. The sad thing for me is that I registered on this site because there were a lot of interesting conversations here with a lot of real tennis fans (people who actually play tennis regularly themselves).
Now, it's just a warzone (with ups and downs) with trolls defending their actions by pointing to other trolls.

I agree that it is sad to see this, and I admit, I get sucked in sometimes (much to my chagrin) by the trolls on the board. I want to see those interesting conversations continue, and see some of the old guard make a reappearance and contribute again.

drakulie
06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Drak was a troll to begin with, although to a lesser extent. .

I hardly think so. First off, I hardly even use to visit the general pro player discussion part of this board. and when I did my posts were factually based, unlike yours.

Richie Rich
06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
^^^^when is yoda going to switch to a lighter, bigger headed frame that will exploit the technique of the modern game?

drakulie
06-01-2007, 05:18 PM
No time soon. Although I will be hitting with a volkl c10 pro tomorrow.

Steve Dykstra
06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I hardly think so.

This does not surprise me. How often do you see someone admit to being a troll?

First off, I hardly even use to visit the general pro player discussion part of this board.

This is irrelevant to what I posted.

and when I did my posts were factually based, unlike yours.

This is an absurd claim that cannot possibly be supported with facts.

drakulie
06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
^^^^^ stop stalking me you troll.

@wright
06-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Could it be that we are all trolls?

flyboy1
06-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Could it be that we are all trolls?

DING DING DING!! We have a winner. Truer words have never been spoken....oopps...I meant "typed" (for all you semantics geeks out there).