PDA

View Full Version : Similar BB Alu Power strings with punchier sound?

djones
09-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for a string which plays similar to the Big Banger Alu Power, but most of them are as people on this forum mention softer and probably don't have that hard crunching sound.
So what I'm looking for is a string which sounds even louder if there's any.
Are there some or is the Alu Power the only one of it's kind?

David Pavlich
09-26-2004, 06:19 PM
This is either a hoax or the silliest reason I've ever heard or read for choosing a string.

David

perfmode
09-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Thats by far the dumbest reason to choose string but the BB is the loudest string you'll find... until it goes dead 4 hours later.

djones
09-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Thats by far the dumbest reason to choose string but the BB is the loudest string you'll find... until it goes dead 4 hours later.I ain't dumb at all!
If a string makes no sound, I can't play with it!

Flatspin
09-27-2004, 03:50 AM
That crunching sound you hear with Alu is your elbow!! :P

spinbalz
09-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Totally agree with your criteria djones, the sound produced at the ball impact is part of the pleasure (or part of MY pleasure at least). Of course it is not the only one criteria, but between 2 strings which provide equals qualities and playing characteristics, I'd choose the one that makes the bigger louder sound, just for the pleasure.

spinbalz
09-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Try this one : Ashaway cossfire 18G in the mains strung 15% to 20% lower than the tension you put on your usual string + Gosen OG-sheep micro super JC 17g in the crosses strung at your usual tension. Nuclear explosion guaranted at each of your strokes. :wink:

Ken Sachar
09-28-2004, 05:31 AM
Check out previous thread "can strings be reused". Coachrick strung for J Conners and said his criteria for selecting the racquet to be used that day was how it sounded. Maybe what's dumb to some people is not so dumb.

tarheelbornjohn
09-28-2004, 06:03 AM
I have never found anything that sounds like ALU when it is first strung. However, it does lose it's sound as it is played more and more.

David Pavlich
09-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Check out previous thread "can strings be reused". Coachrick strung for J Conners and said his criteria for selecting the racquet to be used that day was how it sounded. Maybe what's dumb to some people is not so dumb.

My interpretation of that post is that Connors would "ping" his racquets together. The higher the pitch, the tighter the stringbed. If he was looking for low tension, he'd pick the frame wiht the lowest pitch when pinged.

David

coachrick
11-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Missed this discussion earlier...David is correct in that JC would ping the hoop of one racket against the strings in the test vehicle to determine pitch/tension. Goes to moisture absorption as well as tension.

ChrisNC
11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
I have never found anything that sounds like ALU when it is first strung. However, it does lose it's sound as it is played more and more.
Yep, sounds like hitting with a chain-link fence. I can't hit with ALU without a dampener...drives me nuts.

!<-_->!
11-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I've never heard how loud BB ALU is, but I found that when I had a Kirschbaum Competition hybrid, it may some pretty loud booms when I was wacking the ball.