PDA

View Full Version : So far, the matches I've seen on TTC

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick, a bit of Fed/Russell, Sharapova.

I want to barf. I'm cancelling cable after the FO, forget Wimbledon because I expect the SAME EXACT line up.

Caswell
05-31-2007, 06:07 AM

I want to barf. I'm cancelling cable after the FO, forget Wimbledon because I expect the SAME EXACT line up.

TTC has been a bit disappointing for the FO. I've seen a bit more variety than you - Safin, Hewitt, Ivanovic, Djokovic, etc but the problem is that ESPN2 is replaying a lot of the TTC coverage in the afternoon, and in the evening the FO wrap-up on TTC is more highlights from those same matches.

I just pray every time Sharapova steps on court that she loses or that at the very least her vocal cords snap. I'd like to be able to watch a WTA match without the shrieking. Doesn't help that her strokes look even goofier on clay.

Chauvalito
05-31-2007, 06:11 AM
I noticed this as well when I was watching TTC. They showed the Williams match over and over again...At least 5 or 6 times in one day.

Davydenko got his match in that day and I only saw highlights of the match, the sajme withn the Safin match...

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 06:36 AM
I noticed this as well when I was watching TTC. They showed the Williams match over and over again...At least 5 or 6 times in one day.

Davydenko got his match in that day and I only saw highlights of the match, the sajme withn the Safin match...

exactly! I only get home in time to watch replays and they replayed Venus two or three times the same night! I was hoping for a dif match after one Venus match.

Fedexeon
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Try sending complaints to TTC. But i don't think its TTC's fault, ESPN is controlling them during this French Open period.

bb1013
05-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Try sending complaints to TTC. But i don't think its TTC's fault, ESPN is controlling them during this French Open period.

I don't see how ESPN is controlling TTC. TTC has the rights to the FO, they are just allowing ESPN to show some coverage as well. I would think that TTC has the control

armand
05-31-2007, 06:51 AM

I want to barf. I'm cancelling cable after the FO, forget Wimbledon because I expect the SAME EXACT line up.Wait until deeper into the tournament.

Fee
05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
general@thetennischannel.com

Craig Sheppard
05-31-2007, 07:14 AM

You know, if you only watch cable for tennis, you really could get all you need w/ the ATP Masters Series TV web site. That only leaves the slams... too bad they don't have an alternate source of coverage for those.

Fedexeon
05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't understand this. I thought TTC has 5 channels showing French Open, how could it possible that you only watched so few matches, unless you only tune in to the main channel and stayed there.

DashaandSafin
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
exactly! I only get home in time to watch replays and they replayed Venus two or three times the same night! I was hoping for a dif match after one Venus match.

Hey Hey. Cmon now. Harkleroad was looking good. An WTA hater like me watched the whole match ;)

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
It definitely was amazing how bad Venus was choking serving 5-2 or w/e for the set.

ATXtennisaddict
05-31-2007, 09:22 AM
You know, if you only watch cable for tennis, you really could get all you need w/ the ATP Masters Series TV web site. That only leaves the slams... too bad they don't have an alternate source of coverage for those.

i'm thinking of going the webstream route in the future for tennis. At least they show the finals on regular TV. And if there were any great matches, I could order them on dvd.

johnny ballgame
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM

Wait a minute, the variety on TTC has been FAR greater than typical ESPN coverage. TTC has cut away from the "primary match" to show several games of Baghdatis, Monfils, Gasquet, Djok, Ivanovic, JCF, Safin, Jankovic, etc., etc. You'll never get that from ESPN.

skip1969
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Wait a minute, the variety on TTC has been FAR greater than typical ESPN coverage. TTC has cut away from the "primary match" to show several games of Baghdatis, Monfils, Gasquet, Djok, Ivanovic, JCF, Safin, Jankovic, etc., etc. You'll never get that from ESPN.
yeah, i agree. i mean, their coverage hasn't been WOW, but it's been alright. and when they show a match i don't want to see, i sneak off to the gym, or see if they are streaming something better on the site.

i'll even give them props for staying with the mauresmo/dechy match after their noon (eastern) sign-off time. i mean, in the end, the rains came and suspended play. but at least they tried.

skip1969
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
i wonder if ttc had to call up espn and ASK them if they could stay on past noon? i'm not quite sure who's the boss for rg these days. conversation probably went something like this:

ttc: hey guys, we were thinking of sticking with the mauresmo match. it's tight in the second, you know how nervy she gets, she could drop the second and we might have some drama in the third! maybe even an upset! that is . . . unless YOU guys want to go live with the match?

espn: naaaaahhhh. we're going to lead off with the sharapova match.

ttc: but that match was dull as F*CK! she was second match on, it was HOURS ago. anyone who tuned into us or has a computer probably already knows that it was a rout and she won 2 and 1!

espn: yeah . . . but we're gonna lead off with it anyway.

ttc: ok, cool. see ya.

dubsplayer
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM

I agree. Plus at some point this morning when the Shrieker match was on they only kept us there for a few games and went back to the men's matches. That would never have happened if Espn was on the air when her match was live.

And except for the days where they had the long rain delays they have shown nothing tape delayed. I didn't look at the OOP today but I'm sure when ESPN went on the air at noon there were still live matches but instead, naturally *sigh* they showed Maria.

I haven't had to watch TTC's coverage at night but I assume it's pretty much a repeat of their morning coverage. Anyone who is expecting not to see the same matches repeated is living in la la land. Plus I'm sure people who couldn't watch when it was on live would then be *****ing and moaning how they didn't repeat Mr. Fed, or Rafa, or whomever they wanted to see.

And for those who think they're not going to get any "fluff" on TTC wake-up. All the broadcaster's do it. My friend in the UK who has Sky said she just saw a piece on David Ferrer learning to make beer.

OverHead
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't understand this. I thought TTC has 5 channels showing French Open, how could it possible that you only watched so few matches, unless you only tune in to the main channel and stayed there.

I have been wondering about that too. I think the complaint is about ESPN's coverage.

Or maybe if you get TTC on cable you dont get all the other feeds like on Dish.

I think TC coverage had been great, I have watched a ton of different matches each morning. Yesterday I flicked thru all 5 all morning. Great stuff. You see complete matches you would never even see highlights of on ESPN.

edmondsm
05-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Tennis coverage is just dissapointing. Period. Always will be. I was half watching Sharapova role over some lemming today when they cut to...oh look....Hewitt and Gaudio are playing a 5 setter.....let's show the last game of the match.

All the networks are concerned with is getting a big name in a Nike outfit. We're just going to have to live with it.

pow
05-31-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't get TTC and it requires more money to get that channel. By part covering the FO, ESPN doesn't cover the FO at night and I'm angry!

kingdaddy41788
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM

Any chance anyone can tell me what the other channels are? It would be much appreciated...

dubsplayer
06-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Tennis coverage is just dissapointing. Period. Always will be. I was half watching Sharapova role over some lemming today when they cut to...oh look....Hewitt and Gaudio are playing a 5 setter.....let's show the last game of the match.

All the networks are concerned with is getting a big name in a Nike outfit. We're just going to have to live with it.

Actually, TTC came on at 5am and showed Hewitt/Gato for the first two sets and into the third, then switched over and showed a part of Baggy's match and some of Nole D's. Then they only showed the 1st set of Maria's ( or something like that since I FF'd I'm not exactly sure) and then they went back to H&G at 2-1 in the fifth. I don't think there is anything wrong with how the covered matches yesterday. And it's certainly better then ESPN's, I think you all just like to whine,

rhaber
06-01-2007, 05:35 AM
on directtv, they have six channels. one is called the open mix, where all six are on at once. you can highlight the individual boxes and switch back and forth if you have the correct remote. i don't know what the cable version is. the satellite version has a greater variety of players (the Hewitt and Djokovic matches wre on simultaneously yesterday, i believe). the channels start at 216 or 217.

dunloplayah
06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm with you, I really wanted to watch much more hewitt, well more mens singles in all. They seem to switch over briefly and then right back to those williams sisters. I'm sick of them. I want to see the good players of the world, not....well....you know understand. If it's not better after wimbledon, then i'm out too.

ATXtennisaddict
06-01-2007, 08:12 AM
If only I didn't have to WORK in the mornings when they show the good matches...

johnny ballgame
06-01-2007, 08:44 AM
If only I didn't have to WORK in the mornings when they show the good matches...

Step it up and get some form of tivo technology. Don't know how a sports fan can live without it.

idj49
06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm with you, I really wanted to watch much more hewitt, well more mens singles in all. They seem to switch over briefly and then right back to those williams sisters. I'm sick of them. I want to see the good players of the world, not....well....you know understand. If it's not better after wimbledon, then i'm out too.

I don't know what you were watching since the showed most of the Hewitt/Gaudio match yesterday morning. They went well into the 3rd set before switching to another court. And I don't remember a Williams sister being on at that point, seeing as how Venus didn't play yesterday and Serena didn't go on court until after the Hewitt/Gaudio match was over. You people love to complain just to complain.

dunloplayah
06-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't know what you were watching since the showed most of the Hewitt/Gaudio match yesterday morning. They went well into the 3rd set before switching to another court. And I don't remember a Williams sister being on at that point, seeing as how Venus didn't play yesterday and Serena didn't go on court until after the Hewitt/Gaudio match was over. You people love to complain just to complain.

I thought that was the point to this thread to complain about the way they are playing and replaying matches. Not all of us can be at home all morning to watch live, but it "seems" like every time I turn it on it's williams...exaggeration, yes, but not by much.

Why would you even make a comment in a "complaining" thread if you don't like us complaining? Maybe you like to complain about complainers, huh? :D

idj49
06-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I thought that was the point to this thread to complain about the way they are playing and replaying matches. Not all of us can be at home all morning to watch live, but it "seems" like every time I turn it on it's williams...exaggeration, yes, but not by much.

Why would you even make a comment in a "complaining" thread if you don't like us complaining? Maybe you like to complain about complainers, huh? :D

I'm not home all morning but I do get up early to watch some of the matches live. How can you be complaining about what TTC shows for repeats? If you can't watch it live then tough.:D

dubsplayer
06-01-2007, 09:53 AM

I don't know what they're watching either, but I'm apparently watching the same broadcast as you. And I'm sure today they'll start whining that it's been all Williams sisters, too.

idj49
06-01-2007, 10:07 AM
I understand when it's justified but people are complaining about what REPEATS TTC is showing? How many times have we heard complaints about ESPN only showing taped delay matches and only showing American players. TTC in my opinion is showing all the players on TV courts equally during their live programming. Of course they are going to show the marquis players during the repeat broadcasts, that's why they call it their highlights show. Like it or not the Williams sisters, Sharapova, Nadal, Federer bring in ratings so of course they are going to milk it for all it's worth. If you want to see the players that you feel are being neglected I suggest you book yourself a ticket to Paris and go watch it in person.

dbh1960
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
US tennis fans should get on their knees with thanks toward the Tennis Channel (which I guess is pushing to be called "Tennis Channel" now-no "The"). No way would any other outlet be showing all of the Masters Series events-with evening repeats for those who miss the live matches! And six feeds of the French Open? This should be heaven for US tennis fans. For those of us on the west coast who don't get a lot of opportunity to watch matches live, "French Open Tonight" is somewhat unsatisfying-but at least it's a three hour recap, rather than the half-hour highlight shows that ESPN or CBS puts on late night.

I have no idea how well the channel is doing financially, but fans in the US had better hope that it's doing pretty well-because in this era of fiscal impatience it may not get much time to hit what are probably inflated ratings targets.

Remember, this is the Tennis Channel's first year with expanded coverage of the French Open, and it looks like it's cost them a pretty penny. I just hope that they get the opportunity to improve.

Don't cancel; sign your friends up!