PDA

View Full Version : Should some pros just take a break?

Banana Burrito
05-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Seeing pros like Safin and Gaudio struggling in the early rounds of tournaments and looking to find the form they once had, I was just wondering if they should take a short break from tennis. Rather than going out there and playing tournament after tournament trying to regain form while they play competitively, why not just stop playing for a while? All I'm seeing is formerly great players like them getting frustrated and losing heart. It's really just sad watching them like that. I mean, there isn't really an off season where players can really take the time to scrutinize their game and where they're going. So why not voluntarily take a month or two off? Wouldn't it be better in the long run? What do you guys think?

tennissavy
05-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I am sure Serena will take a break until Wimbledon and then again until a week before the US Open. She has all those red carpet events to attend this year.

vsdtrek
05-31-2007, 08:41 AM
With his mentality, I think Safin is on a perpetual break. It's really a shame since his talent is amazing and he could do so much more if he applied himself even a little bit.

One wonders if this guy will ever look back on his career and say to himself, "what a putz I was?"

jelle v
05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
With his mentality, I think Safin is on a perpetual break. It's really a shame since his talent is amazing and he could do so much more if he applied himself even a little bit.

One wonders if this guy will ever look back on his career and say to himself, "what a putz I was?"

I think he certainly will.. maybe at the age of 35 or something, when he is in the same period of his life like Sampras now, he may start thinking about his career and wonder how he could have screwed things up that much.

onkystomper
05-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Or maybe he will look back at what is a succesful career, even if its not realised its full potential. Then he will think i had a great life whilst on tour as well as having a good career. Not everyone can be as robotic or blinkered in success as sampras/nadal/federer

logansc
05-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Or maybe he will look back at what is a succesful career, even if its not realised its full potential. Then he will think i had a great life whilst on tour as well as having a good career. Not everyone can be as robotic or blinkered in success as sampras/nadal/federer

Very good point, most people lose sight of the bright side. I mean for all the Roddick bashing that goes on, being a world No.1, US Open champion, having a shot at winning 2 Wimbledons, I mean most pros don't even get close to that kind of success.

vsdtrek
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM

That is a very good point. The only thing I notice is that he ends up moaning and complaining all the time that I'm not quite sure what pleasure he ever derrives from his tennis life. Don't get me wrong, I really love to watch him play (when he's on).

htrain
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Safin has taken enough breaks, he needs to train more, not take breaks.

Kobble
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
I get the feeling that Safin sees it slipping away, now. However, one of his favorite tournaments is being dominated, and the other he never cared for. All that remains is to repeat history(AO and U.S. Open). It must be tough to get up for.

zapvor
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
didnt Safin once say something like'if you are 17 and still not in the top 200 then you are not serious about tennis?" obviously we dont know whats inside his head, but i believe he can do better than he is. hopefully he will regain form. its good for him and tennis