PDA

View Full Version : How come no one on the ATP tour wears sunglasses?

tennisinoc
05-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I went to the Pacific Life in Palm Springs. 100+ degree weather and really sunny. Also, watching the other tournaments on TV when the weather is sunny.
AND no ATP pro player is wearing sunglasses while they play!
Why do they chose not to wear them?

Professional Golfers, Baseball Players, Football Visors, etc. wear them.
What's up with the ATP players not?
I wear mine all the time and have no problems.

Nuke
05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
The answer is . . . because no one's paying them to wear them.

spadesss
05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
its tough to see the spin on the ball with shades on.

side note: some players have special color lenses on to help them on the court. i think it claims to see the ball better/meaning the spin.

Jonnyf
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Arnaud Clement,Janko Tipsarevic (Tipsy's worn Oakleys with sunglass lens and one's with normal lens)

Jonny S&V
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Clement and Stosur wear sunglasses during day matches, but those are the only two that I can think of.

dubsplayer
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Clement always wore sunglasses. This year is the first year I've ever seen him on court without them.

Starlite
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
I've read that Clément's sunglasses are perscription and that he wears contacts indoors. Maybe he just feels more comfortable wearing contacts all the time now. I'm not sure about Tipsarevic's though.

Also, the type of sunglasses that Clément wears have a special filter on them that accents the yellow of the ball so he can see what's going on as opposed to normal sunglasses, which is tougher.

tennisinoc
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
its tough to see the spin on the ball with shades on.

I don't think a little tint makes it harder to see the spin.

There must be a better reason.

mileslong
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
i have trouble serving in the sun as my light colored eyes automatically shut when i look up at the sun. yet i still cant wear glasses when i play, i just dont see the spin on the ball as well and the depth perception is slightly altered for me. so i just end up altering my toss quite a bit which often has mixed results for my biggest weapon. i dont like wearing them for golf either though...

zapvor
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
they probably know something about serving in the sun that us amateurs dont. or they have been serving with the sun since they were like 8 for 5 hours a day so they are used to it.

J-man
05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Part of it is personal preference. Some players don't like the look or they don't like having something on their face. I know I don't because when I played with my glasses I can barley serve becasue of the glasses are slipping off.

tennisinoc
05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I am not asking why we wear or don't wear sunglasses.
I am asking why the top ATP pros don't chose to wear them.
It is more than preference because if it were, there would be more pros wearing them.
NOT one of the top players wears them even in the sunniest conditions.
There must be some validity to this.

Silent
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
My (uneducated) guess is they're just used to playing in the sun, period, so they don't need anything to help them. Football players wear visors to prevent fingers from poking their eyes out more than anything else. They put black stripes under their eyes to counter the sun's effect. I'm guessing tennis players would do that too if the sun bothered them so much

Wondertoy
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, I think it's the same reason that baseball p;ayers don't wear sunglasses when batting, they want an unencumbered look at the ball and anying shading would be a detriment.

tennis_hand
05-31-2007, 08:20 PM
unless u wear them every day, you won't feel natural when you wear it suddenly for a match.
Another reason could be the sweat. You gotta wipe it so often between points.