PDA

View Full Version : Best 16g Synthetic Gut?

Benjamin
09-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Which one of the following 16 gauge strings offers the best combination of durability and playability?

{I'm used to Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L string so probably any of them will feel like 'gut' compared to it :D }

Benjamin

rooski
09-26-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if any of these are any more durable than the others. I've tried all of your poll synthetics and I get about 5-7 hours from each if I'm lucky. Playability wise, it depends on the kind of feel you like. I prefer a crisper feel so I normally use PSGw/DF. The Wilson Ext Syn Gut is also crisp for a syn gut. The others are too soft for me although I will use the Gamma syn gut sometimes in a poly hybrid.

I've tried many strings but always come back to PSGw/ DF. For the price:performance, you can't beat it. BTW...IMO...PSGw/ DF always seems to string up a bit tighter for some reason (DF fibers?) and holds it's tension somewhat better than the others. My .02

tennisboy87
09-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Wilson Extreme Synthetic Gut is a very good string for the price imo.

Benjamin
09-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the votes and the info. I'll probably order a set of the Wilson Extreme, several sets of the Prince Synthetic Gut w/Duraflex, and I have one set at home of the Gosen OG Sheep Micro I found in the closet last night.

Now it's just whether I should go with the Prince in YELLOW, BLACK, or WHITE for a Diablo or NCode NSix-One 95. Maybe I should post a poll. :D :D :D

Benjamin

christo
09-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Benjamin, I'm just waiting for you to tell us you're switching back to your legendary POG, am I on the right track?

Benjamin
09-28-2004, 11:38 AM
I haven't switched from my POG mid yet.

I just got through demoing the Diablo Mid, Diablo Midplus, Tour 10 VEMP, and RDX500 MP. I'm going to be demoing the nCode nSix-One 95 (as well as the Diablo mid again) the second week in October and if the nSix-One doesn't play better than the Diablo Mid (which I love), then I'm going to order a Diablo mid (to replace my POG mid :shock: ).....with yellow?, black?, or white? Prince Synthetic Gut 16 w/duraflex string in it.

Benjamin

rooski
09-28-2004, 01:54 PM
I haven't switched from my POG mid yet.

I just got through demoing the Diablo Mid, Diablo Midplus, Tour 10 VEMP, and RDX500 MP. I'm going to be demoing the nCode nSix-One 95 (as well as the Diablo mid again) the second week in October and if the nSix-One doesn't play better than the Diablo Mid (which I love), then I'm going to order a Diablo mid (to replace my POG mid :shock: ).....with yellow?, black?, or white? Prince Synthetic Gut 16 w/duraflex string in it.

Benjamin

Out of curiosity...when is the last time you strung your POGmid with Prince Synthetic w/ DF? I seem to remember you being a Kirshbaum TT guy. Put some of that PSGw/DF in your POG and it will feel like a different racket. You may say..."I don't need no stinking Diablo....I'm staying with my trusty POGmid"

BTW...I have grown to hate poly unless it's 18g in the mains of a hybrid. My .02

MChong
09-28-2004, 03:39 PM
I would imagine that a Diablo would black strings would look awesome. I myself would do it, but they don't sell reels in color, which is a shame. A plain white would look okay as well, but most strings are white anyways; I'd go with black =D

Benjamin
09-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Thanks MChong. Believe it or not I asked my wife the same question and she also said black. :D I have always liked bright colors so I was going to go with the yellow but black should look cool 8) {and that's what's important right}

rooski,

It's been quite a while....several years I'm sure. I checked my string supply closet two nights ago and found that the only Prince Synthetic Gut I have is the 17 gauge and I know it will break in 5 or 6 sets. May see if my stringer has some in stock and give it a try. I have a couple weeks until I will be through demoing the nSix-One and the Diablo mid again.

Benjamin