PDA

View Full Version : other achilles stretches?

Serve 'em hard
05-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Are there any other achilles stretches than the basic one I always see, leaning against a wall and bending the knee? Is any other stretch than that one even necessary?

Also, do you guys believing stretching for achilles helps prevent injury, or alleviates mild achilles tenderness, or is otherwise beneficial?

progman_2000
06-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Are there any other achilles stretches than the basic one I always see, leaning against a wall and bending the knee? Is any other stretch than that one even necessary?

Also, do you guys believing stretching for achilles helps prevent injury, or alleviates mild achilles tenderness, or is otherwise beneficial?

I started running more training for tennis and immediately started getting achilles pain. I went to a physical therapist and he would have me stretch with a prostretch before exercising (google or "****" it). I bought one on **** and now use it religiously and only have achilles pain when I rush and don't use the prostretch enough. Definitely thinks it helps with injury prevention - my PT said I could have potentially snapped my achilles (that just sounds gruesome)

NoBadMojo
06-01-2007, 06:28 AM
i had chronic achilles tendonitis for about 8 years and suggest only very mild stretching..you could actually make the achilles worse by stretching it vigourously. if you condition is only mild, the stretching may not be harmful..the achilles isnt a muscle..muscles lend themselves to stretching much more than tendons i feel

circusmouse
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Look up the yoga pose "downward-facing dog". Icing it after tennis and heating/massaging it (not after tennis, because you don't want to increase inflammation after exercise) could also help.

Serve 'em hard
06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Is there any specific strengthening exercises helpful for achilles? If so, do they differ from calf strengthening exercises?

I don't have achilles problems (yet..), but I am just about recovered from a torn calf, and have felt a couple of twinges in the achilles of that leg (and the foot in general) the last couple of days, so want to nip this in the bud.

ollinger
06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
As the achilles is a tendon and not a muscle, I'm not sure one can strengthen it, though one could certainly weaken it with vigrous stretching that causes tears. If achilles injury were more likely as a result of not stretching, nearly everyone I know would have torn theirs by now, so I think there's a burden of proof on those who suggest pre-match stretching actually prevents injury. Every step you take engages this tendon so one is unlikely to step onto the court with one that is overly tight (unless you spend the better part of the day in high heels.)

NoBadMojo
06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
additionally they are saying that static stretching of anything before playing actually hurts rather than helps and it tends to reduce performance levels. they suggest static stretching after tennis but not before. as a warmup, movement exercise is suggested instead..you know....running the box, short court warmup, etc.
before i learned, i was doing toe raises to stretch my achilles and was actually making my condition worse by doing that

Serve 'em hard
06-02-2007, 12:58 PM
additionally they are saying that static stretching of anything before playing actually hurts rather than helps and it tends to reduce performance levels. they suggest static stretching after tennis but not before. as a warmup, movement exercise is suggested instead..you know....running the box, short court warmup, etc.
before i learned, i was doing toe raises to stretch my achilles and was actually making my condition worse by doing that

I was told to do toe raises to to strengthen by calves and keep them strong in the wake of my calf tear, and to prevent future tears. Now, if these toe raises make the achilles worse, than we have conundrum -- calf health, or achilles health? What is one to do?

Also, if stretching doesn't help the achilles, and strengthening doesn't help the achilles, then what DOES help it? How does one maintain achilles heath and prevent injury to that area?

NoBadMojo
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I was told to do toe raises to to strengthen by calves and keep them strong in the wake of my calf tear, and to prevent future tears. Now, if these toe raises make the achilles worse, than we have conundrum -- calf health, or achilles health? What is one to do?

Also, if stretching doesn't help the achilles, and strengthening doesn't help the achilles, then what DOES help it? How does one maintain achilles heath and prevent injury to that area?

and i think they also say that achilles probs are often caused by porportionately weak calf muscles but i dont think that's true in many cases. i think they are normally caused by an incorrect footstrke. if you dont have an achilles prob, i wouldnt worry about it too much

i'm big on custom sports orthotics. lots of the pros use them. they corrected my achilles prob when nothing else did, and if i had them years earlier, i dont think i would have had the problem in both my achilles to begin with. i had them build me orthotics with rigid heel lifts in them and now my achilles dont hyperextend on any axis....life is good ;)

Serve 'em hard
06-03-2007, 12:17 AM
. they corrected my achilles prob when nothing else did, and if i had them years earlier, i dont think i would have had the problem in both my achilles to begin with. i had them build me orthotics with rigid heel lifts in them and now my achilles dont hyperextend on any axis....life is good ;)

But why would one get custom orthotics before they are needed? I imagine they aren't free...

NoBadMojo
06-03-2007, 08:41 AM
But why would one get custom orthotics before they are needed? I imagine they aren't free...

no..in fact they are fairly expensive. preventative measures. may also help you with your calf injuries, eliminate possible knee problems, lower back probs, etc. they ensure your foot strikes the ground properly..lots of people have improper footstrikes

Ronaldo
06-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Do not forget to stretch your calves, hamstrings, and quads. Also while stretching the hamstring you can use a towel around your toes and ball of the foot to stretch the achilles.